General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Wide Glide First Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:02 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

As I recall CBT bikes are pretty small and going from one of them to a big twin Harley is quite a big step,when I was 19 I went from a 250cc Royal Enfield bike that I'd been riding for a couple of years to Triumph Bonneville which although it was only a 650cc seemed massive, it didn't take to long to get used to it, you'll be going from something similar presumably to a 1450cc bike which as I say is quite a big step, have you even sat on a WG ? as one or two have said maybe best to get a bit of experience in on a smaller bike before going for something that weighs around 650lbs.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Dharma66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in the Uk, and under 24, you'll need to do your parts 1&2 as well as cbt.

Given that you are looking at 18 months before buying your Harley, I'd say do the cbt, get a small bike used bike and ride it for a year and a half. Then do the rest of your license nearer to Harley time, so the training is fresh in mind.

Mostly I'd say just get riding. I never did, and it can be harder, not easier, as you get older (and have a partner who resists).

Old 06-22-2014, 05:44 PM
vaxt
Cruiser

There's nothing wrong with buying a Rebel or a Kawasaki Ninja 250 (they have an upright riding position, they only look like a sport bike) to learn how to handle (and probably pick up) a bike. These can be had for $1500 or less all day long. Ride it for 6 months or so, sell it for what you paid for it, and then go buy and ride your Harley with confidence.

I also recommend the smaller bikes because they handle so much better than most Harleys. Harleys are seriously deficient in lean angle. This can get you in trouble if you enter a corner too fast. On the Harley, you're scraping hard parts and going off the road. On the Ninja, you might just get lucky and lean over a little more and make it.

Heck, you may even find after you ride many different types of bikes that a cruiser is not for you. I know, perish the thought board members, but Harleys are not for everyone. I've had plenty of friends regret their first bike purchase because they made the decision based solely on emotion and the looks of the bike. Once you get on the bike and ride, the looks disappear.

So get something small. See if you even like riding. Learn, learn, learn, and then learn some more. Try to ride a bike in every major category (cruiser, sport, sport-touring, dual-sport, ect.). Then make your decision based on what, where, and how far you want to ride.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:51 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,778 Likes on 1,155 Posts

"Emotion and looks." Pretty good reasons to buy the bike you REALLY want from the start. Why fool around with the small stuff? It doesn't take long to learn how to ride a bigger bike. With the low center of gravity of most Harleys, they are just as easy to ride - easier in some cases - as teeny-tiny sportbikes.

IMO

Last edited by tmac00333; 06-22-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
I strongly disagree. Get your Harley as soon as you can afford it, otherwise you'll lose money trading in your Honda, etc. Harleys are easy to ride.

The WG is a cool-looking bike. Go with what your gut tells you, and you'll never have second thoughts.
I'm with you. The OP should buy a Harley. He should also add an engine guard in case the bike is dropped.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:24 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 332 Likes on 247 Posts

It depends on your riding comfort level in handling a bike - I came from a cycling background and picking up the traits of the motorcycle were second nature for me.
My first bike was the Fat Bob and I had no issues with it nor any thoughts of getting anything smaller or from another manufacture

Old 04-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Tommygunz13
Intermediate

From personal experience, in 2012 I bought my first bike which was a 2012 Wideglide. I was looking at an Iron but my dad convinced me to get the bike a I wanted. I'm glad I did, as now I'll be trading it in for a Streetglide tomorrow. If I did it over again I would get the bike you want within reason.

However, if you are brand new to any sort of bikes I would consider a starter bike for the first riding season. Its all personal preference and if you feel comfortable!

Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Since it's been almost a year it would be interesting to know what the op did.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:37 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackfly
Yes widglides are not user friendly especially for slow speed U-turns for a new rider.
True fact I've owned several Wide Glides over the years and with the right techniques they handle great. When it comes to those slow speed maneuvers I can't recommend this highly enough, I love practicing this stuff in a parking lot, it's addicting

https://www.ridelikeapro.com

Old 04-13-2015, 04:55 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,778 Likes on 1,155 Posts

I've always harbored a secret lust for the Wide Glide. One of the best-looking bikes harley makes

Quick Reply: Dyna Wide Glide First Bike?