General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New gaskets when opening up top end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not above reusing a rocker box lid gasket if it's in good shape.(rubber, not cork) I clean inspect and reuse the clutch inspection cover o-ring repeatedly on the twin cam. Anything below the rocker box lid on the top end, NO.

When i was in the cam of the month club, after replacing the OEM gasket with a silicone impregnated james gasket on the cam chest, I reused that gasket at least 7 times with no problems on an EVO. I also routinely reused the two primary inspection cover gaskets on my EVO's as well as the pushrod tube O-rings.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 PM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All gaskets compress when the fasteners holding the cover (any cover) are torqued to specs. Don't believe me.... next time take out your micrometer and mic the old gasket and then the new one. I built Harley motors and trannys for years in my shop and yes If I had to go back in it got new gaskets.... every time. No greater waste of time (money) than having to redo a job for an oil leak. If our boy started this job with a gasket set on hand why on earth wouldn't he use it to insure against leaks? Not installing a new gasket on a primary cover or clutch derby cover is one thing, very easy to change, but rocker boxes that's just shitty workmanship. He got lucky (maybe). Someone already said it, never buy a bike from this guy!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:39 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

He also had like 29k miles when he did this so it wasnt like it was a fairly fresh gasket. He seemed to have both time and money on his hands so I dont think he cares one way or other if it leaks and he has to go back in and redo the job.

I think harleycharlie1992 said it best with "I would hate to see some of the home mechanics thinking its ok to reuse old gaskets on their work, its just creating a bad job and a bad habit".

Old 06-27-2014, 03:45 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I wasn't one who posted before on this thread, but will post my opinion and maybe explain where others are coming from. I'm not trying to flame you but just trying to explain in a different way. I'm not calling anyone stupid and not slamming anyone intentionally.

Originally Posted by mmancuso
I understand completely the opinion of replacing the gasket when exposed.

However, why call someone stupid who doesn't do that because, in his judgment, the old looks fine, he reuses it, and it subsequently does not leak?

If it doesn't leak, then what was "stupid" about it? LOL!
The risk of it leaking is the part that would be "stupid"(not my words) about it. Before running it, after putting it back together with used gasket, wouldn't know if it was going to leak or not.

But obviously his judgment was not poor, which is quite evident by the lack of a leak!

It either leaks or it doesn't, and I don't know why anyone would argue this: no leak, then no problem.
The "no leak, then no problem" is just luck. What would you have said/thought if it had leaked? My guess is that you would have thought/said "boy that was kinda not so smart to re-use those gaskets". So with your logic, you think its ok if you gamble and it ends up ok but not ok if it does not end up ok. How do you know the outcome ahead of time?

I'd want to inspect each.

You guys are missing the point, just looking to slam because you disagree with someone else's decision.

If you put on a new gasket, and for whatever reason you took things apart again the next day, would you replace that gasket once again with a new one if you didn't damage the one you just put on the day before? Or how about that same day? Put things back together, ride it for a 100 miles, come back and decide more work. Going to replace that gasket again that same day?

I suspect the answer is no, which means that your decision line about replacing that gasket is not that it's been used, but how long it's been used.
__________________________________________________ _________________________
For me, you'd be suspecting wrong. I would replace them each time. If they are cork or paper gaskets, I'll replace each time I broke the pieces apart, once they've been torqued down together.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

I see absolutely nothing wrong with visually inspecting a gasket, and if it doesn't look in any way damaged, then why not use it? If it ends up leaking, then it's my own labor wasted, with a corresponding questioning of my own judgment. If it doesn't leak, how can anyone say it was still a bad decision?
Problem is that you can't always tell visually if a gasket is squeezed to a point that it can let gas/air/oil...etc, flow past if reused. Even if it has only been on an hour, week, years, seconds.

I think the part about reusing gaskets(even though it apparently worked out for this guy) that others have issue with(me included) is that it is a risk that involves the possibility to have to go right back in and replace the gaskets anyways (doubling the work and hence possibility of mucking something up) that is really kinda silly to take based on how cheap gaskets are vs. how detrimental they can be.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 06-27-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:14 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

But obviously his judgment was not poor, which is quite evident by the lack of a leak!

It either leaks or it doesn't, and I don't know why anyone would argue this: no leak, then no problem.
You are wasting your time. If one does things different from what the "experts" on this forum feel is the right way to do things, even if it works, you will be flamed. And I mean anything different by the way, riding style, gear preference, options, finance, fuel choice, whatever. It is pretty damn funny to hear all these old ladies preach.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:33 PM
FredAndrews
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try not to re-use gaskets and if I break a component apart, I usually replace it. I used OEM push rods with my cam job. I don't think I could come to terms with adjustable. A friend of mine races 800 horsepower big block modifieds, I asked him about adjustable push rods and he said "That sounds dangerous"

Old 06-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Yes, I understand that adjustable pushrods can loosen up, but I've used them for over 150,000 miles without a problem. They make the periodic lifter and cam bearing replacement MUCH easier.

I used to ride Hondas that had threaded adjusters for the valve lash with no problems. My current car is a Honda Fit, which has threaded valve adjusters. They've never come loose, either.

Yes, I might not use adjustable rods with an 800 HP race engine, but we're talking a 70 HP Harley motor. Even if one of them started to come loose, I would hear it long before it did any damage.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 06-27-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:23 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
I was talking to a local the other night about my recent cam upgrade and some other mods I did myself. We got to talking about adjustable pushrods vs solids, and he brought up the point that adjustables may be the weakest link in the valvetrain being that the nuts can back off or even crack under certain circumstances.

He did his cam upgrade by going in through top end and dropping his old stock solid pushrods back in. No adjustments to worry about and only took him about an hour and a half, etc etc.

Now the interesting part was he said he didnt even have to use new gaskets. When he took cam cover off the gasket was clean, didnt peel off or break and looked brand new so he reused it. Same with top end. No leaks, bike runs great, and he had about 29k miles on bike.

So how many have opened top end up and didnt have to change gaskets or anything? On my old evo the gaskets always tore and came off in pieces.

I know this is subject to opinion but is there anything that really needs changing in top end if gaskets dont break when removing rocker boxes?
If an engine gasket bears the mark of the part(s) that it was sandwiched between, it's "damaged". It doesn't matter if it falls apart. If the gasket has already been compressed between correctly torqued parts, its ability to seal has been diminished to the point that, IMO, it's not worth the risk of re-using it. I used the stock pushrods with my 95" build because the 24Ns I installed have a stock lobe base an don't require adjustable pushrods. I used Cometic gaskets on the top end and have no complaints. I haven't re-used old gaskets since I was a teenager and couldn't afford new ones.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I went in and threw stock pushrods back in and have to say that rocker gasket looked brand spanking new to the naked eye. I threw new gaskets in for safe measure after 33k miles but I must say these gaskets are a far cry from my old evo gaskets.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 2,481 Posts

Originally Posted by wraplock
does he also re-use condoms? You know.....just turn them inside out?
I did that once, back in the day, with 2 different women. This was when condoms were behind the counter & it was embarassing to ask for them. I DID wash it out in between chicks.

As far as gaskets--I even use new drain plug O-rings when I change oil. You can't tell if a gasket or ring is bad by looking at it. Once it's been compressed, that's it. Same with spark plugs & master cylinder gaskets. I never put the old one back. Might be overkill, but it's cheap insurance, even if only psychological.

Quick Reply: New gaskets when opening up top end?