General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New gaskets when opening up top end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:20 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,871 Likes on 4,702 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
The correct way is any way that results in an engine that is running with no problems.

You tell me...who do you think determines the "correct" way?

I'll tell you: it is a way that has been determined and documented through practice to be the most efficient way to tear down and reconstruct the engine such that it runs with no problems. That does not mean it is the only way.
by the way, by your standard, of the correct way, this person did it the wrong way!!

Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 PM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,654 Likes on 1,731 Posts

no body is going to win this one either

Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,871 Likes on 4,702 Posts

Originally Posted by 05flhtbob
no body is going to win this one either
agreed! and I mentioned that just a bit earlier

Old 06-30-2014, 01:50 PM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of us on here have or are currently making a living working on these bikes. Those of us who do or did (and I am one) know what is right from wrong. No point in arguing with people who ask questions like "Where do you put your gas cap while fueling", etc...etc...etc. A professional would never reuse a gasket. If/when a leak developed it would reflect poorly on the quality of his work. As a customer, if I found that the shop reused gaskets I would NEVER return. No excuse would be acceptable to me. What you do in your back yard is your business. If you find reusing gaskets to be an acceptable practice then by all means continue. I've made a pretty good living straightening out other peoples F@*k ups!

Old 06-30-2014, 01:50 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
to be sure, and I stated this before, I didn't insult the person, I called his decision to reuse gaskets, stupid, not him. my statement will stand, as I know from all that you told us what make the right way to repair a motor, thru experience, that , the repair will fail, and will start leaking in the not too far off future.
And here is where we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I used to wrench my own Jeep Cherokee in the 80's, which I 4-wheeled with all over southern California. I re-used gaskets in several areas and over years I never had them leak on me.

Your prognostication of failure is not a certainty, no matter how certain you are.
I would certainly consider that the gasket leaking is a repair failure, either now or in the future. Whether or not, the person knows that his repair is sabotaged, by reusing gaskets is irrelevant, the end result is still the same. since this conversation is theoretical, both because we will never know the actual outcome, or when it will happen, I suggest we just agree to disagree, as we will never get the proof we need to prove our points.
Everything fails, and you're taking the safe stance that says if there was a failure in this particular area, then "this" is why. You can't lose because all you have to do is wait for it to fail no matter how long it takes.

Agreed to disagree.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:53 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wraplock
Some of us on here have or are currently making a living working on these bikes. Those of us who do or did (and I am one) know what is right from wrong. No point in arguing with people who ask questions like "Where do you put your gas cap while fueling", etc...etc...etc. A professional would never reuse a gasket. If/when a leak developed it would reflect poorly on the quality of his work. As a customer, if I found that the shop reused gaskets I would NEVER return. No excuse would be acceptable to me. What you do in your back yard is your business. If you find reusing gaskets to be an acceptable practice then by all means continue. I've made a pretty good living straightening out other peoples F@*k ups!
As you said, "If/when a leak developed...", and the key word is "if", not the certainty that some seem to have of "when".

Working on other people's rides has already been addressed, and no one here, at least not myself, has suggested re-using anything on someone else's ride.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
by the way, by your standard, of the correct way, this person did it the wrong way!!

The original op was discussing another rider who did his own wrenching, and here's what he said:

Now the interesting part was he said he didnt even have to use new gaskets. When he took cam cover off the gasket was clean, didnt peel off or break and looked brand new so he reused it. Same with top end. No leaks, bike runs great, and he had about 29k miles on bike.
So....what was the wrong way other than the disagreement with reuse?

Rhetorical, beat to death.

I'm just not as sure of anything as some of you seem to be.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:23 PM
superman70
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only problem is that you do the work and not change gaskets you have to do it over.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

If I recall correctly, my EVO had rubber gaskets in the top end. I reused them once or twice but if it leaked it would have taken me around about 10 minutes to change them. Why not try to reuse them? What's ten minutes?
Back in the seventies when we had to adjust valves from time to time in our cars, we would make sure we used rubber gaskets that could be reused several times.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,527 Likes on 4,149 Posts

You can do a top end in ten minutes?

We're not talking about valve cover gaskets here.

Quick Reply: New gaskets when opening up top end?