General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One FOB Working ... No PIN

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 PM
canuuk01
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One FOB Working ... No PIN

I purchased a used 2012 RK in June and have since found that only 1 of the 2 FOB's are recognized by the security system. I changed out both of the FOB batteries and no change. The last owner is not aware if a PIN was input. The owners manual still has both PIN cards unused at the back of the book.
As long as I have one FOB working, can I input a new PIN or PIN replacement - assuming there is one in the system ? An hour at the local dealer is another $100 to get the second FOB working. I understand I have to have a working PIN to get the second FOB s/n entered ? Also, in an emergency I may need to be able to start the RK if the remaining FOB died.

Gary

Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Yes, if you have at least one working FOB you can display what the current PIN is set too and then change it to something else if you want.
NOTE: You must have a working FOB in order to perform this procedure.

To Change PIN Number

1. Select a 5-digit (1 thru 9) PIN and write it down
2. With an assigned fob present, turn IGN switch : On-Off-On-Off-On (Note: Kill switch needs to be in the run position also)
3. Press left turn signal switch 3 times
4. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (Turn signals will flash 3 times and current PIN will be displayed in the odometer with 1st digit flashing)
5. Enter first digit of new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch “a” times (a = 1st digit of new PIN)
6. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (New digit “a” will replace the current in odometer window)
7. Enter 2nd digit of new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch “b” times (b = 2nd digit of new PIN)
8. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (New digit “b” will replace the current in odometer window)
9. Enter 3rd digit of new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch “c” times (c = 3rd digit of new PIN)
10. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (New digit “c” will replace the current in odometer window)
11. Enter 4th digit of new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch “d” times (d = 4th digit of new PIN)
12. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (New digit “d” will replace the current in odometer window)
13. Enter 5th digit of new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch “e” times (e= 5th digit of new PIN)
14. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (New digit “e” will replace the current in odometer window)
15. Before the module rearms, turn the ignition key to OFF (Odometer will return to mileage - Turning Ignition kehy to OFF stores the new PIN in the module)

Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 PM
canuuk01
Advanced

Thank you RollaMo. Assuming this works, will I then be able to input the serial number of the non-working FOB, or does the dealer have to do it ?

Gary

Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by canuuk01
Thank you RollaMo. Assuming this works, will I then be able to input the serial number of the non-working FOB, or does the dealer have to do it ?

Gary
I don't think there is any way to do that yourself.
The dealer must plug in their tech tool to assign the new FOB.
But I could be wrong on that.

Link to some info: https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...ng/file-6.comp

Last edited by RollaMo; 07-29-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:26 PM
canuuk01
Advanced

Thanks again RollaMo .... I tried your instructions and they worked great. Initially, five "1's" came up. I turned off the ignition and started again. This time is blinked at the first 1 and I was able to change each of the 5 digits. At least if the one working FOB quits I should still be able to start the bike.
As for the 2nd FOB, I don't have any personal issue with the dealer, but it seems they want a lot of money for just the simplest of tasks. I have ordered a Dyno Jet Power Vision today, which on initial study seems to give you access to look at/change many settings aside from the autotune. I wonder if this will include the FOB's ? Thanks again.

Gary

Old 07-30-2014, 02:37 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks again RollaMo .... I tried your instructions and they worked great. Initially, five "1's" came up. I turned off the ignition and started again. This time is blinked at the first 1 and I was able to change each of the 5 digits. At least if the one working FOB quits I should still be able to start the bike.
As for the 2nd FOB, I don't have any personal issue with the dealer, but it seems they want a lot of money for just the simplest of tasks. I have ordered a Dyno Jet Power Vision today, which on initial study seems to give you access to look at/change many settings aside from the autotune. I wonder if this will include the FOB's ? Thanks again.

Gary
Labor is an hourly rate. You are paying for their time, not the complexity of the task. Enjoy your RK.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:26 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,220 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Gary

nope. power vision is a great tool, but it won't do that.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:43 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

On the non working fob, did you verify that the battery is good and that it's not in backwards? It's been reported on the forum before a few times that the fob problem was either the battery was upside down or that it was dead- new batteries can fail. Not common, but also not impossible. If it's not either of those things then you are going to have to take it to the dealer and have them figure it out. Don't think that fob pairing can be done without the dealer.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:39 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Yes, if you have at least one working FOB you can display what the current PIN is set too and then change it to something else if you want.
NOTE: You must have a working FOB in order to perform this procedure.

To Change PIN Number

1. Select a 5-digit (1 thru 9) PIN and write it down
2. With an assigned fob present, turn IGN switch : On-Off-On-Off-On (Note: Kill switch needs to be in the run position also)
3. Press left turn signal switch 3 times
4. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (Turn signals will flash 3 times and current PIN will be displayed in the odometer with 1st digit flashing)
5. Enter first digit of new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch “a” times (a = 1st digit of new PIN)
6. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (New digit “a” will replace the current in odometer window)
7. Enter 2nd digit of new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch “b” times (b = 2nd digit of new PIN)
8. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (New digit “b” will replace the current in odometer window)
9. Enter 3rd digit of new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch “c” times (c = 3rd digit of new PIN)
10. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (New digit “c” will replace the current in odometer window)
11. Enter 4th digit of new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch “d” times (d = 4th digit of new PIN)
12. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (New digit “d” will replace the current in odometer window)
13. Enter 5th digit of new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch “e” times (e= 5th digit of new PIN)
14. Press right turn signal switch 1 time and release (New digit “e” will replace the current in odometer window)
15. Before the module rearms, turn the ignition key to OFF (Odometer will return to mileage - Turning Ignition kehy to OFF stores the new PIN in the module)
On mine, that enabled God Mode, gives me invincibility and unlimited ammo. :-)

Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 AM
canuuk01
Advanced

Bone Doc ... perhaps I could have worded it better .... The HD Service advisor says it only takes a few minutes, but it would be an hour labor charged. It's apparent from the postings that I have no choice, so I'll have to budget for the service. At least their is no rush now that I've learned to input the PIN. I made sure to fill out and keep the small wallet card from the owners manual. The Road King is fun to ride, but I miss the fairing after 3 years with an '09 Ultra Classic. Still, lots of fun though.

Gary

Quick Reply: One FOB Working ... No PIN