General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you almost screwed up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 AM
BC72067
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ciso
I guess I am very fortunate. My wife has put up with my buying and selling for 18 years. At one time I had to move her car out of the garage to make room for 8 sport bikes. However, this last trade from a sport touring to an HD may have been the last for a while, at least I hope so. She did not say a thing and really enjoys it on the back of the HD, plus the fact that I plan on retiring in 2.5 years and our monthly income will drop by a third of what it is now. I guess it is a matter of me growing up and the realization that I have owned just about every type of bike that I could ever want (85 in the past 50 years) and being happy with what I have at this moment. I do know that her forgiving nature will only go so far. My plan now is to get her interested enough to want her own bike and then I can buy another one that will fit her and also that I can play with.
I thought about teaching my wife to ride and giving her the Wide Glide. She seems a little scared of that idea. I'm not going to push anyone to ride that's scared.

She said last night the bikes are mine and she doesn't care what I ride. She said she was just disappointed because I had traded of the bike I had when we met and was talking about trading off the RK I had now that she found me after listening to what I told her I wanted. At the end of the day the current RoadKing is perfect I was looking to downsize to 1 bike and eliminate a payment considering I wasn't using the other biked. At the end of the day owning both of them isn't breaking the bank. As far as the Wide Glide goes it will sit out in the building and get a ride every now and then. In March next year I'll either sell it, start customizing it, or trade it in for more than likely another RoadKing something with and EVO or Shovel on it.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 AM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem solved

Old 08-10-2014, 09:38 AM
BC72067
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EP50
Problem solved

Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NOK BD
I almost screwed up this week. Me and the wife have been together for 5 yrs.

That was mistake #1. I still haven't put 1000 miles on that bike. I found out that the bikes of the youth might have been fine when you were young, but they can suck when the body isn't what it use to be.

she told me," You traded off the bike we got married on." and she was quiet for awhile. Then she said, "You told me if you could have the bike you wanted what it would be and I found it.
Almost screwed up AGAIN should have been the title! Mistake #1 is right there in the third quote. The OL want's a road king. End of story. You sold her wedding bike out from under her and she seems somewhat unhappy about that. If you want to stay married for another 5 years you better start paying attention or...

Old 08-10-2014, 10:31 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,520 Likes on 2,490 Posts

True story--I woke up about an hour ago from a nightmare--I dreamed I traded in my pickup AND my Harley for a new pickup & Harley, & both had major problems. I was at the truck dealership trying to resolve the issue, wishing I had never traded, when I awoke in a panic & realized I still had my stuff.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:18 AM
BC72067
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
Almost screwed up AGAIN should have been the title! Mistake #1 is right there in the third quote. The OL want's a road king. End of story. You sold her wedding bike out from under her and she seems somewhat unhappy about that. If you want to stay married for another 5 years you better start paying attention or...
Actually the 07 was my first Harley. I had it before we met. Even after spending the cash to add a leather tourpak to it, the 09 was the bike that got ridden because of the extra room on it. The Wide Glide was a mistake. I should have kept the 07 and modded it to a solo for when she wasn't with me. Live and learn.

At the end of the day the bikes are mine and she knows that. I have a pretty healthy chunk of change invested in the 09. So anything I do to it from here is pretty much just because that is the way I want the bike to be. The Wide Glide will either go down the road or get heavily modded over the next couple of years to make it a more acceptable ride.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:22 AM
BC72067
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dickey
True story--I woke up about an hour ago from a nightmare--I dreamed I traded in my pickup AND my Harley for a new pickup & Harley, & both had major problems. I was at the truck dealership trying to resolve the issue, wishing I had never traded, when I awoke in a panic & realized I still had my stuff.
I'm glad the 09 is still out in the shop and I didn't fork up and get rid of it. Whatever pinch I have on my finances because of two bikes will be short lived and a memory after next spring. Then I will be back to my original plan of everything paid off in 6 years and headed to retire 4 after that.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:36 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 08-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost did once. Was gonna tell a girl how much I liked her. Something made me hold off. Then I saw she was not what I thought she was. Glad my "little voice" whispered at me. Saved me a lot of grief and angst. And a whole chunk of money, too!