General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When or How do you get used to the wind

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 AM
1200 Low Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When or How do you get used to the wind

I have been riding a few years now and have a 2010 Deluxe. I have a windshield and fork mounted wind deflectors. I normally ride with the half lid but some times the full face. My problem is that it seems at speeds much above 60 and when its real windy out I am just not super comfortable. I am following my wife this weekend with the same set up as mine, a buddy with a full fairing and another with no windshield and no helmet and it doesnt bother any of them. I dont have the helmet buffeting any more, its just feels like being in a huricane. It does seem better with the FF lid. And now I am wondering it the windshield and lowers are catching the wind and making the bike a bit less stable.
Any advice??

Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Possibly it is time to do a once over on your bike? Grab a wrench and start checking anything that can be tightened. If you have a lift, jack the bike up and check wheels, bearings, spokes, neck play and the such. Beyond that, bike wise, I'm stumped at what to suggest.

Lots of guys that ride just aren't comfortable at highway speeds. Give yourself LOTS of extra space between other bikes and keep a constant scan WAY ahead of you. Everything happens a whole lot quicker at highway speeds. While any windshield does create a whole lot of drag, it reduces the constant beating on your body, IMHO much more comfortable. LASTLY, if still not comfortable take a local slower route to where you are going.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:08 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't give you any advice. I'm 70 and I never rode my own bikes with a windshield. Wind hitting my chest don't bother me. I ride bikes with them because I work for a Harley dealer. The only thing, my ears pop from the buffeting.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:15 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Cannot relate because the wind does not bother other than when it gets really cold below 50 degrees then the shield goes on till snow. Decide how you want to ride then give it time you will get used to it. If it continues to make you uncomfortable you might want to consider another form of transportation.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 AM
echorton
Intermediate

I ride an Iron 883 with no windshield or fairing so I know what you mean about feeling like you are in a hurricane. One thing that has really helped is making sure I do not have a death grip on the handlebars, the harder you grip the more unstable the bike will feel. If you are nervous when the wind hits, you may not even realize you have tightened up on the bars.

I really think that dealing with the wind is 90% mental. When I get the bike above 65 mph and the wind is blasting me, I take a deep breath and remind myself to trust my bike, relax and that it is just wind. This has helped quite a bit.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:34 AM
maddawg57
Cruiser

Really with all the things you have to block the wind on your ride,
maybe you should ride in a cage
Motorcycles are not for everyone

Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1200 Low Rider
I have been riding a few years now and have a 2010 Deluxe. I have a windshield and fork mounted wind deflectors. I normally ride with the half lid but some times the full face. My problem is that it seems at speeds much above 60 and when its real windy out I am just not super comfortable. I am following my wife this weekend with the same set up as mine, a buddy with a full fairing and another with no windshield and no helmet and it doesnt bother any of them. I dont have the helmet buffeting any more, its just feels like being in a huricane. It does seem better with the FF lid. And now I am wondering it the windshield and lowers are catching the wind and making the bike a bit less stable.
Any advice??
1/2 helmets at highway speed give me the parachute effect, meaning they feel like they're trying to yank my head by the chin because wind is getting under there and they are producing drag.

I wear a 3/4 and it's fairly comfortable. If I'm hitting 75-80, I'll get some thrashing, but not much. It might be that your full face helmet isn't very good or aerodynamic.

Does everything look shaky like you have a paint mixer attached to your head and it's difficult to focus on anything? If that's the case it's probably your helmet. What do you use for your full face?

This is the helmet I use (except I got the white one). It's not the best in the world, but I don't get much thrashing until 75+. You can get it at your dealership, or the non-branded version is HJC I believe.

I would suggest white if you live in a warmer climate.

97337-13VM - Harley-Davidson® Mens Thunderhead 3/4 with Retractable Sun Shield Matte Black Helmet

Last edited by Clubber; 08-11-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Bocefus
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I simply manned up and dealt with it.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,303 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Part of the thrill for me. Gets my heart pumping, keeps blood flowing through me, partial grin on my face. Embrace it, don't fear it.
When I was a little kid....getting going at speed on mopeds, dirt bikes, and then when I got into boats...fast boats...eyes watering, mouth/cheeks buffeting, ears sounding like they're right next to a jet engine, hair pulling back in the wind...it was all part of the thrill.

On a motorcycle....approaching 85 or 100 or 110mph..all that much more the thrill. 'course I don't have that much hair left that pulls back..LOL.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,072 Likes on 2,556 Posts

I never have and never rill have a windshield on a bike. I might as well be in a car, if I'm going to do that. I don't know if you "get used to" the wind but I look at it like anything else that has to do with riding...it's part of it. Just like paying more attention to what's going around you and staying alert.

I also have the same helmet as Clubber and the wind...except for the noise...doesn't effect my head at all. My old, perfectly round one made me feel like a bobble head. This one...nothing.

Quick Reply: When or How do you get used to the wind