General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Falling in behind an MC on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 PM
dinolo24
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Falling in behind an MC on the road?

What to hear some opinions on the following. This weekend while riding back home from a charity run w my local HoG chapter we split up half way through on the highway. Actually, I knew where I was and wanted to ride my own ride since I was exhausted and didn't feel like riding staggered and paying attention to the other bikes. Anyway, one other rider kept going in my direction as the other 10 bikes veered into a merging highway. As we kept riding home I fell behind the rider. We rode staggered for about 15 miles I the middle lane at about 60mph. Suddenly I see on my left lane about 10 bikes from a local MC approaching. These guys rode side by side in a tight formation. As they passed by the rider I was following g from my local chapter falls in behind them. We were all riding together for about 10 miles before the MC pulled off on an exit- the precision of their riding as they pulled off was extremely cool!

To be honest I didn't feel to comfortable following the MC- which I really wasn't but I was following my fellow HOG member. As we kept riding g another group if riders - not MC's- rode by and the guy I was following g fell I right behind that group. By then I had enough, I cranked the gas and left them behind.

My question : is it okay to fall behind other groups of riders? I wouldn't think so but curious on your opinion?

Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I wouldn't do that to a group of unaffiliated riders, let alone an organized mc. It's rude to crash a party.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I would say to avoid group riding all together but that's just me. I am antisocial when it comes to bikers, thugs, criminals, and politicians.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Like I said on the last thread like this...groups, no matter who or what they are, seem to go 10-15mph faster than I ride, so getting behind and following them is a non issue with me.

But if I ever found myself in that position, I'd treat them like I would any solo rider, I'd give them their space and get in another lane.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-08-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You pay taxes on the road correct? Ride where you want to ride within the law on a public road.

Last edited by JohnnyRebKY; 09-08-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

It's one thing if you both happen to be going the same direction but I wouldn't try to make it look like you're a part of their group, that seems rude to me. That goes for any group of riders not just mc's IMO.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:22 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Like I said on the last thread like this...groups, no matter who or what they are, seem to go 10-15mph faster than I ride, so getting behind and following them is a non issue with me.

But if I ever found myself in that position, I'd treat them like I would any solo rider, I'd give them their space and get in another lane.

This is good advice.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:26 PM
GVDobler
Cruiser

I think I saw this on an episode of Weeds. Didn't work out too good. HaHa

Old 09-08-2014, 10:46 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

just remember , if the police pull the MC over for any reason they're going to stop you too . and if they check drivers licenses your name is going to end up in the known associates file .

Old 09-08-2014, 10:48 PM
dinolo24
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something like - that it's cool to fall in behind other riders. I've never seen that before and thought it was rude and perhaps generally not welcomed. But you never know you learn new things every day just thought I missed the memo on falling in behind strangers!

Quick Reply: Falling in behind an MC on the road?