General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

New bike engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 02:07 PM
cdremy
Road Warrior
Received 634 Likes on 310 Posts
Default New bike engine mods

Seriously looking into purchasing a new Harley. Would like to have a new exhaust and air intake installed at time of purchase. Been told that the engine should be broken in before install is done. What say you.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:45 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

If you value the opinion of the person that told you that, go with it. I or anyone else here could tell you something different, but you don't know us.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:00 AM
SiggerTX
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Neither exhaust or air intake will hurt your new bike so long as it's properly tuned. Now some will say that you should keep the tune mild until after breaking it in and then a more aggressive tune later. I prefer to break in an engine somewhere in the middle. While I have never had a new bike I have had several new engines and top ends. I install any mods along with the motor, overall ride conservative for the first 500-1000 miles doing several "break in" oil changes in that period, then ride it like you stole it. The one big thing to consider about a new bike is the warranty. A big chunk of money during the purchase goes towards that warranty and it's somewhat foolish I think to intentionally do something to void it. I'd talk to the service manager about your intentions and take their advice.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:42 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by cdremy
Seriously looking into purchasing a new Harley. Would like to have a new exhaust and air intake installed at time of purchase. Been told that the engine should be broken in before install is done. What say you.
Why do you think you should spend more money on a new motorcycle before picking it up from the dealer?

All motorcycles today will run better with a free flowing air filter, exhaust and matching tune. In fact, I have 2 (non-Harley) motorcycles that are 100% stock (read: no air filter / exhaust change). The only 2 differences I see between stock and modified is this:

• Nobody turns their head from the loud exhaust noise.
  • My wallet has money in it from not modifying a brand new motorcycle.
At the end of the day, it is your motorcycle, your money, your life. If you want to listen to 99 people who has done the same thing without knowing the reason why, don't listen to that 1 person with a valid reason doing something different.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

If you are buying brand new and want your warranty to remain intact, then talk to your dealer. Before that take a look at the SE catalogue for all your options, so you can see what is available. Take their advice on when they install your upgrade parts.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:35 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

If you're seriously looking into the purchase of a new HD motorcycle, you should continue to do enough research and learn to make the proper decisions on your own without somebody having to hold your hand and telling you what to do.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:41 AM
cdremy
Road Warrior

I thought asking questions on this forum was researching. I also value others opinions when they are constructive. All others I just flush with the rest of the crap.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 541 Likes on 377 Posts

I thought asking questions on this forum was researching. I also value others opinions when they are constructive. All others I just flush with the rest of the crap.
You are correct....you are doing the right thing asking questions and researching on these forums. Some just gotta run there yap thinking theyre superior to everyone else and by cuttin somebody else down....strokes there already over inflated Biker Billy Badass ego
Dont pay attention to em.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 541 Likes on 377 Posts

You are correct....you are doing the right thing asking questions and researching on these forums. Some just gotta run there yap thinking theyre superior to everyone else and by cuttin somebody else down....strokes there already over inflated Biker Billy Badass ego
Dont pay attention to em.
Exhaust and air cleaner and ecm flashes are done all the time before leavin the dealer floors. Youre still gonna want to break it in like Harley recomends. Just ride it varying rpm,dont lug it or go running it up to the redline till youve got some miles on it and youll be fine.

Last edited by Glyder54; 09-27-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:52 PM
cdremy
Road Warrior

Thanks for the reinforcement, good to know there are people out there who use this forum in a positive way. Treating people in a negative way only shows the extent of there character.

Quick Reply: New bike engine mods