General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

tool chest purchase, tips? what to look for & avoid? & buying quality tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:16 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts
Default tool chest purchase, tips? what to look for & avoid? & buying quality tools

Looking at purchasing a stacked tool chest (similar to picture). Wondering what to look for and what to avoid.

Don't want super 'cheap' that will rust and fall apart in a year and has super low gauge steel etc, but also don't need $1000+ chest (just a garage mechanic). Anyway, suggestions welcomed.

Also, which retailer has higher quality tools. Am reading Craftsman is now made in China (?) wondering if Northern Tool brand (Husky?) and/or Lowes are decent brands. Many Northern Tools in my area and 1-2 Lowes. Sears is all but disappearing it seems so, not sure on Craftsman.

something like this, though not this exact one of course

Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 199 Likes on 105 Posts

Bought a setup just like that from Harbor Freight a few years back. Have no problems with it at all. Don't remember what I paid for it but they always have coupon sales on the tool chests they sell.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:59 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,392 Likes on 518 Posts

I have that exact Craftsman set up. I've had it for years with no issues. One thing to look for is to make sure you get a box that has ball bearing slides. Much nicer once loaded with tools.

The following 2 users liked this post by awilson40:
F150HD (12-10-2016), FastHarley (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 07:40 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Got a Craftsman stacked box like that but recently added a third (3-drawer) center section. Original two sections are thirty something years old and all work perfectly. Only the newer center section has ball bearing drawer slides. Personally recommend getting ball bearing slides. They weren't available when the original two sections were bought. Made in USA Craftsman toolboxes are rugged as hell. Mine has been through five moves since new and works like new.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sierra977:
F150HD (12-10-2016), FastHarley (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 07:46 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rustyg500
Bought a setup just like that from Harbor Freight a few years back. Have no problems with it at all. Don't remember what I paid for it but they always have coupon sales on the tool chests they sell.
Thanks. Some HF stuff is built kinda cheap so leery about investing there in a pricier toolbox. I buy the occasional tool there, but not often. Will browse their boxes next time I'm there.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:48 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by awilson40
I have that exact Craftsman set up. I've had it for years with no issues. One thing to look for is to make sure you get a box that has ball bearing slides. Much nicer once loaded with tools.
thanks. read a few have the 'ball bearing slides'. do they ever need to be greased/lubed?

I saw a decent deal on a Craftsman one but am reading the gauge of steel they use is lower then in past years to now looking at avoiding it.

Also read the rear wheels don't swivel so harder to move to/fro.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:53 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

got a craftsman box like that 30 years or so works for me. As far craftsman tools go I have a 50 year set all good mack in the day. Now they are junk. Loews colbolt tools are nice same as huskey I have both.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:58 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Got this one myself.
Wheels are kinda cheap and will be replaced.
If I could have a do-over I think I would have went with this model

I got such a good deal on the Sears though, less than $200 so I just couldn't pass it up but the Sam's club one has a nice bench on the top of it, but it is twice the price @$400 plus.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:36 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Tool Boxes

In my business I have several. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the HF 42" box's. X-Mas is coming so think waiting for a sale. I do not move my boxes around except for the N. Tool Homak H2PRO 56in. 7-Drawer Top Tool Chest — 55 3/4in (Good quality) which is on a sort of thick aluminum cart with 10" pneumatic casters that I fabricated for my trailer to roll around on grass at some shows.

I also have one of the 41" 11 draw Craftsman old made bottom box and a 26" old style 9 draw with a middle on a 5 draw bottom rolling bottom. All I purchased new and all have roller slides and all are heavy duty. The new ones I see are made of thinner material. IMO I think the Craftsman boxes I have are not as good, well made, as sturdy, & material used as the HF boxes. I am not a big fan of buying Chinese products but these HF boxes will do the job provided you change out the casters to high quality ones you can find on e-Bay. Bigger casters lets the box roll around easier. You want 2 swivel and 2 fixed casters to let the box roll around easier by yourself. I already tried 4 swivel & requires 2 people to move around a heavy box. IMO I preferred 2) HF 44" boxes (B=$380 [wait for a sale] & T=$290) in place of a much more expensive 56" or 72" unless you are using tools bigger than the inside measurements of the draw.

I have found that for a box that moves no further than the room you have it in, the aforementioned boxes will work and function as well as any Snap On for moderate use. Moving the box from job to job and using it every working hour is not meant for these less expensive boxes, you will need a Snap-On quality for that.

Remember it is not the box, better to have more expensive/better tools but it is how well the tools are used and for how long. I have seen many impressive tool boxes in shops that do very poor work. Good luck in your endeavor.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:51 PM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,392 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
thanks. read a few have the 'ball bearing slides'. do they ever need to be greased/lubed?

I saw a decent deal on a Craftsman one but am reading the gauge of steel they use is lower then in past years to now looking at avoiding it.

Also read the rear wheels don't swivel so harder to move to/fro.
never had to oil mine and yes, the lack of swiveling wheels does make it harder to move around so keep that in mind. I seldom move mine so its not an issue.

Quick Reply: tool chest purchase, tips? what to look for & avoid? & buying quality tools