General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Transmission clunk is back after dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:48 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,276 Likes on 11,145 Posts
Default Transmission clunk is back after dealer service

Up to my recent 30K dealer service, my transmission shifted nearly silky smooth. The SE clutch didn't slip, and I could usually find neutral fairly easy. I was runnng BelRay in the tranny, and Formula + in the primary.

So, after my recent 30K dealer service, where I specified F+ in the primary, and BelRay in the primary. The 1st gear clunk, and all upshift clunks are back.

WTF? It's probaby one or all of: poorly adjusted clutch, overfilled primary, crap trans lube instead of BelRay.

Between this and my recent bad experience with my wife's Acura MDX, that after a dealer service the transmission was slipping, because it was 2qts low in fluid ...I'm getting sick of crappy dealer service.

So, tomorrow, when I'm on my belly, trying to figure out why I have a wandering issue that the dealer could not replicate I'll try to find out how they put the clunk back.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:04 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 218 Posts

If you dont watch the fluids being poured in, how do you know what they used?

You can request whatever you want at the desk to the service manager, but by the time your bike is out the back in the workshop all is forgotten and a young pimply dick apprentice will work on your bike and use whatever they always use. (usually cheap, bulk purchased crap)

Old 04-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

The only Harley I've ever rode that didn't clunk is the new Milwaukee 8. They all clunk. Most people find it desireable since it's a "Harley thing"

Old 04-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

My wife took her 2016 Mini S into the dealer for it's first oil change last Saturday. Monday she got a call form the dealership. It seems they drained the oil, dropped the car and started the engine... Seized it up nice and tight.

Not even 12k on the car...

New motor going in now.

But, she ain't happy no matter what.

Dealers... They don't seem any better than Jiffy Lub at times.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:09 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Up to my recent 30K dealer service, my transmission shifted nearly silky smooth. The SE clutch didn't slip, and I could usually find neutral fairly easy. I was runnng BelRay in the tranny, and Formula + in the primary.

So, after my recent 30K dealer service, where I specified F+ in the primary, and BelRay in the primary. The 1st gear clunk, and all upshift clunks are back.

WTF? It's probaby one or all of: poorly adjusted clutch, overfilled primary, crap trans lube instead of BelRay.

Between this and my recent bad experience with my wife's Acura MDX, that after a dealer service the transmission was slipping, because it was 2qts low in fluid ...I'm getting sick of crappy dealer service.

So, tomorrow, when I'm on my belly, trying to figure out why I have a wandering issue that the dealer could not replicate I'll try to find out how they put the clunk back.
This is only a guess, a complete speculation on my part. My guess is, that Dealers procure supplies of Syn-3, and 360 Dino, and Formula +, in 45 gallon drums. My guess is that they buy in bulk like this and price it out as 1 qt bottles when they service machines. I doubt they have barrels of BelRay.

On a hunch, I'd change my tranny oil and see what happens.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Likely overfill on the primary fluid.

The following users liked this post:
kokemill (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:29 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts

Imo it is their crappy Syn3. I have several bikes and i went to shell rotella for the primary and adjusted the clutch myself, my trannies don't clunk anymore.

dealers don't do service work on my bikes, their program is inferior since it is to the lowest cost standard.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
Likely overfill on the primary fluid.
Check you primary, I had mine serviced in Texarkana, drained the primary and got almost 2 quarts out.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:06 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tully_mars
Imo it is their crappy Syn3. I have several bikes and i went to shell rotella for the primary and adjusted the clutch myself, my trannies don't clunk anymore.

dealers don't do service work on my bikes, their program is inferior since it is to the lowest cost standard.
I discourage running synthetic oil in the primary. I run 15w40 Rotella and have for years. I was running the Mobile 1 Vtwin in the primary years ago. It would cause the clutch pack to slip momentarily when starting from a stop. It is very subtle but not good. When you change to Dino oil, it will feel right after a few miles, no slip. 4 TC's since 2005, no compensator issues, as of yet.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:47 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
I discourage running synthetic oil in the primary. I run 15w40 Rotella and have for years. I was running the Mobile 1 Vtwin in the primary years ago. It would cause the clutch pack to slip momentarily when starting from a stop. It is very subtle but not good. When you change to Dino oil, it will feel right after a few miles, no slip. 4 TC's since 2005, no compensator issues, as of yet.
Oops ! I've been riding my clutch (slipping) on purpose during low speed maneuvers for years. I literally thought that was part of the intended function of a wet clutch. Guess I'll have to change my ways.

Quick Reply: Transmission clunk is back after dealer service