General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

1000mi Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:01 PM
soupy371
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1000mi Service

Hey all,

I did some searching, but didn't see any discussion on options for the 1000mi service.

This is my first Harley, and my first brand new bike. Owned my last bike for 20 years and I've always done all my own service and never had a warranty.

For peace of mind i'm probably going to just bite the ($400) bullet and pay the dealership for the 1000mi service, but I'm curious as to what others, especially long time Harley owners do for that post break-in service.

Does the dealership give you a hard time for warranty repairs if you don't do the regular maintenance there?

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2017, 11:06 PM
sacdaddio
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I was in the same position (2016-First new bike, first Harley). I knew I was going for long trips each summer (2,000 to 4,000 miles). I didn't have a bike mechanic connection, so I used the dealer. even though I know I can save money elsewhere (and may in the future), I like my dealership, and feel confident that they are checking everything. I stop in fairly often, and have gotten to know them on a first name basis. I ask a lot of questions and value their opinions. So, for the extra cost, I get piece of mind. That is worth it, to me, until I find a mechanic I feel equally comfortable with.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:13 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I did the 1k at the dealer, more for peace of mind than anything else. They do a lot of torque checks, etc., on that service. They consider it pretty important.

Since that one, I've done every single one myself, with no grief from the dealer. But, and this is important, I document everything, including saving all my oil and filter receipts. I even showed my documentation to the service manager. He was impressed.

Legally, you do NOT have to have the service done there. You absolutely can do it yourself. On the other hand, whether or not the dealership "gives you a hard time" really depends on the dealership. They're all different.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:33 AM
Wisenheimer16
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Get a service manual and do it yourself. You will do a more thorough job than the dealer and feel great afterwards. All of the steps for the 1000 mile service are in the manual. I really doubt the dealer does everything listed. They are probably just changing the fluids for 400 bucks....ridiculous. Who else thinks the HD tech who is rushing to get the bike out is checking wheel nuts, motor mounts, sight glasses, lubing chassis, tire pressure and everything else on the list? Not me.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 AM
soupy371
Intermediate

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I got the manual, and I'm planning on doing all the other maintenance myself, but still debating having the dealer do the first one.

I do stop in to the dealer quite often just to foster that relationship. So far I'm pretty happy with what I've seen and heard and how approachable everyone's been. The service guys have been pretty generous with their time showing me stuff and answering my questions.

And for sure document EVERYTHING.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:05 PM
soupy371
Intermediate

Of course, $400 will buy a couple nice tools....

Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've been buying new bikes for 50 years now and have always had that first service done by the supplying dealer. It's amazing what they have turned up in some cases, which as owner I never discovered, including replacing expensive parts. So IMHO get it done, as it can be worth a lot more than 400 bucks. Otherwise I have done most of the subsequent services myself.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by soupy371
Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I got the manual, and I'm planning on doing all the other maintenance myself, but still debating having the dealer do the first one.

I do stop in to the dealer quite often just to foster that relationship. So far I'm pretty happy with what I've seen and heard and how approachable everyone's been. The service guys have been pretty generous with their time showing me stuff and answering my questions.

And for sure document EVERYTHING.
Originally Posted by grbrown
I've been buying new bikes for 50 years now and have always had that first service done by the supplying dealer. It's amazing what they have turned up in some cases, which as owner I never discovered, including replacing expensive parts. So IMHO get it done, as it can be worth a lot more than 400 bucks. Otherwise I have done most of the subsequent services myself.
This is me, too! ^^

Peace of mind, especially with the issues involving the new M8. Plus, not a small thing, it shows the dealer that you want them to check it over, at least for the first time.

Then, I've done every service myself, doing my 40k this week.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,172 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Get the tools you need like torque wrenches and belt tension gauge, and do it yourself. I keep an Excel spreadsheet and scan copies of receipts for my car (still under factory warranty) and my bike. I can produce anything that was ever done to any of my vehicles at any time. I personally favor factory fluids and filters, though arguably there are better options on the market, but I did my 1K service using SE oil and the Formula+ for trans and chaincase. At 4K miles now, everything still feels like new. I have no fluid transfer issues nor oil consumption. Just get the right gear and do ALL of the maintenance listed in the chart. You'll be glad you did.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:28 PM
RayHD11
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Reading through this it really depends on 3 things...
1) how confident are you with your skills
2) how confident are you with your dealership accepting your work
3) how good at you at keeping records beyond just mileage

If you're the average rider, tracks miles, can fix the minor bolt on stuff, then I would say roll into the dealership and let them do it. If you're above average, have a good relationship with your dealership then go for it.

Quick Reply: 1000mi Service