General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Ordered the Factory47 14" Assault bars.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts
Default Ordered the Factory47 14" Assault bars.

I finally went ahead and got these bars on order for my 2017 SGS. They should have some ready to ship me in a few days but they are on backorder so we'll see. I also bought the 6" wire harness extensions for the throttle and the controls (bought what they recommended). I'll be using their online you tube video to guide me through the install process. The wire extensions should make the job a little easier but I'll still have to re-route the brake and clutch lines so I'll have enough slack. I'll update this thread with as I go along. For now I wait!

I almost went with the KST Mayhems but I think these might look a little nicer and may be better quality. They offer a 15% military discount which made the price much more tolerable.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:50 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

My bars should be arriving this afternoon. In my spare time I've spent the last few days getting the bike ready for the install using the video they posted on youtube. I'm going to use the stock wiring but I did order the 6" extensions just incase. I don't believe I'll need them.

I've already re-routed the ABS and brake lines as per the video. My old bars are off and the wiring has been removed. I haven't de-pinned any of the connectors yet since I want to try and run them through the bars with the connectors installed, we'll see if it's possible and report back.

This is my first time doing bars myself and I'm really enjoying it so far. A few things I've noticed so far is that some of these connectors are a little hard to disconnect, they make it look really easy in the video....

More to come after the bars get here. The goal is to have this job wrapped up by the end of this weekend.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:58 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

The bars arrived yesterday late afternoon. These are very nice quality handle bars. I had limited time to do work on the bike yesterday so all I did was place them on the bike to make sure the brake and clutch cables were extended enough and to see how they feel. 14" is a good height for me and place me in what should be a very comfortable riding position.

The brake cable is just barely long enough with the bars turned all the way to the left. 14" is definitely the highest you can go with stock lines. I'll run the wires through the bars tomorrow and put her back together.

Last edited by RET_SCPO; 03-16-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Mac daddy 103
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice progress!!! Can’t wait till you get it all back together

Old 03-16-2018, 09:39 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mac daddy 103
Nice progress!!! Can’t wait till you get it all back together

Thanks. I'm excited to wrap things up. My biggest challenge is finding more than 30 minutes or so here and there to actually work on it. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll be able to post some photo's of the bike put back together.

Last edited by RET_SCPO; 03-16-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:08 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

meh, I'd take it around the block without that fairing installed

I think you'll be satisfied when it you're done. Looks as if you've made it past the difficult part.

One item of note, if you haven't torqued down the bar clamp yet, make sure the bars are where you want them. Maybe get on and off the bike a few times to make sure. Factory 47 is aggressive with their knurling and once you torque the clamp down, popping the bars back up out of the bottom clamp takes some effort as they really set down in the clamp.

The following 2 users liked this post by 6113_:
RET_SCPO (03-16-2018), South107 (05-19-2019)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:52 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 6113_
meh, I'd take it around the block without that fairing installed

I think you'll be satisfied when it you're done. Looks as if you've made it past the difficult part.

One item of note, if you haven't torqued down the bar clamp yet, make sure the bars are where you want them. Maybe get on and off the bike a few times to make sure. Factory 47 is aggressive with their knurling and once you torque the clamp down, popping the bars back up out of the bottom clamp takes some effort as they really set down in the clamp.
Thanks for the tip. Sadly, I won't be riding it for awhile. 3.5 feet of snow just in the last week and another storm possibly on its way for mid week.

The quality of these bars is impressive. Everything I've heard and read about Factory 47 has been spot on. They're a little pricey but the quality seems to be worth the cost.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:09 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Job complete! I finished the installation last night. I would say the job took about 4 hours from start to finish. I used all of the stock wires and cables and I did end up having to de-pin the connectors to run the wires through the bars. Easier than I expected...

The most rewarding part of the job is that everything works. The bars look great and I didn't pay $1,000.00 in labor! Factory 47 is getting a call from me on Monday to thank them for their very helpful video and for one hell of a very good quality product. Not only do these bars look great but the attention to detail in their manufacturing is very evident. The wires slid right through so they did a real nice job removing any burs that might have been on the inside. Now all we need is for the snow to melt and some warmer days so I can ride it.

Last edited by RET_SCPO; 03-17-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added picture
The following users liked this post:
South107 (05-19-2019)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:33 PM
madmat
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 106 Posts

Bars look great!!! I had f47 bars on my 12 and on my 17, they make a very super product!

How bout some more pics!

The following users liked this post:
RET_SCPO (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by madmat
Bars look great!!! I had f47 bars on my 12 and on my 17, they make a very super product!

How bout some more pics!
Pics really don't do them justice. These are by far the best best quality bars I've seen!

Not to mention these guys are a class act to deal with. It was between these and the KST Mayhem bars.

When the riding weather comes I'll get some better pictures.

Quick Reply: Ordered the Factory47 14" Assault bars.