General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 05:17 PM
HDJeff44
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gillster
I have a HF lift and it holds my Road Glide just fine. I have done a few mods to it but plan on making some outriggers so it will be a lot more stable plus i am going to make it an air/hydraulic lift hopefully this month.

Have you experienced any of the forward tipping issues? Or at least feeling uneasy about it. What mods did you make besides a different wheel chock?

Old 03-14-2018, 05:35 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

I used to have the HF lift and put my ultra and may other bikes on it over the years. Never felt any tipping issues when I used it. It worked very well for what it was. I used the HF wheel chock purchased separately that many here have gone with.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Gillster
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not experienced any tipping issues with mine. If you stood on the front of the lift with the bike raised up a foot or so, it could tip forward because the table is forward some of the lift, but as you raise it, it is less tippy because the bike moves more centered on the lift. I added HF ATV ramps to the sides of mine so i could drive up on it and have a place for my feet. I put the more expensive HF wheel chock, the black one, on there so i could get off the bike without worrying that it will fall before i hook my straps up. I'm going to add air/hydraulic to it just cause i'm old and don't want to pump it up with my foot. Plus i am adding some 2" square tubing for outriggers so it can't tip side to side. That's probably all i will do to it to make it more easier to use and more safe.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
So, how did you replace the wheel lock on there with that one from the link? Does the one that comes on the lift unbolt, so you just bolt the other one down?

Right now, I've got one of the Sears red jacks, but have been thinking about getting one of these instead for maintenance other than changing tires or lubing chains. Having the bike up higher would be a LOT easier on my back!
Yes, the one that comes with the lift just unbolts. When I put the new one on, I had to drill some holes in the lift since the bolt holes on the old wheel lock didn't match up with the new one.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 05:43 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I have had that same HF lift for 10 years now. Countless touring, full dress bikes have been on it. The wheel chock that comes with it is a POS, replace it before you put a bike on it. Never had a problem with front heavy, unstable, or any of the other issues that "Chinese" lifts are feared for. Only issue I have is the hydraulic jack leaks around the shaft seal a little. I just make sure the fluid level is correct and move on. And I added extra tie-down points just to have more options.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:57 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i've had my HF lift for over 10 years and never experienced any tipping of any sort. forward, backwards or side to side. i strap the bike down, pump it up to the height i want and start the work i want to do. the only problem i had with it was the jack was a little low on oil, i put some in it and haven't touched since.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:44 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJeff44
I would like to pick one of these up. I see that there has been coupons for it quite a few times for $299. I am in the lookout for one so if anyone discovers one would they please post on here?

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ift-69904.html

Thanks
Jeff
In addition to a sale price HF will post a coupon for 20 percent off any item. Which is what I did when I purchased mine. The savings paid for the Pittsburgh wheel chock.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:02 AM
KDF72
Cruiser
Received 152 Likes on 63 Posts

I have one for my 09 FLHTP. No tipping issues. I made some outriggers from 4 foot lengths of 2x8 fastened in a U, and relieved the board to fit around the foot pedal. This lift is 7" tall in the down position and once you put the bike up there you have no place to put your feet unless your inseam is 42".
I also replaced the crappy front wheel vise with a Condor wheel chock.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I picked one up in May at their parking lot sale for $279 without a coupon...I also got the wheel choke. I have a slim so it's lighter than a Touring but it seems fine to me. Right after I bought it a handy lift went up on craigslist near me for $250 but I'm happy with the HF so far.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:56 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJeff44
I would like to pick one of these up. I see that there has been coupons for it quite a few times for $299. I am in the lookout for one so if anyone discovers one would they please post on here?

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ift-69904.html

Thanks
Jeff
There are often Harbor Freight ads in Cycle World and Motorcyclist magazines. You might check the magazines in stores. There are other things in the ads you may find useful.

Or if you send me your name and address I will send you the ad from my magazine.

Last edited by rjg883c; 03-16-2018 at 12:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cruzercat (03-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift