General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Adjust those bars for more comfort

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 05:43 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Adjust those bars for more comfort

I just had a “eureka” experience with my 2017 Heritage Softail Classic. It’s a very comfortable bike even for my 6’5” frame but on all day rides I was getting some pain and stiffness in my shoulders and upper back. I was considering putting some taller bars on it. Then, last week I noticed something peculiar. Don’t know why it took me a year and 15,000 miles to figure this out. I had taken my windshield off and was enjoying putting around town without it. Approaching my bike in a parking lot I noticed how odd it looked in that the bars were set where they were rolled back toward the rider and were not in line with the forks. It came that way from the factory. Not really noticeable with the windshield on but really weird looking without it. That’s when it hit me. What if I were to roll them forward so they are in perfect alignment with the angle of the forks? I did and, voila! The difference in comfort is amazing! Now my hands are reaching farther for the grips so that my arms are almost even with my shoulders. Now I understand why so many riders like apes. No more pain in my shoulders. I can ride like that all day. The moral of this story is, unless you have drag bars, consider adjusting your bars to you before spending money on new ones. Touring bikes and cruisers like my Heritage come from the factory setup for a genetically sized rider and probably are not setup for you. Hell, judging from the way mine looked I’m not sure the factory gave any thought at all to rider comfort. I think they just plopped the bars on there any old where and tightened the clamp, assuming the rider would adjust them to his preference anyway. Duh. Can’t believe it took me so long to figure that out.