General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Northeastern Riders - How do you winterize your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:09 AM
RagmanZL
Tourer
Received 115 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Northeastern Riders - How do you winterize your bike?

Just curious as to how others winterize their motorcycles.
I live in Upstate New York and the way the weather is turning here it looks like Ill only have a couple more weeks of riding.
So I have to start thinking about putting my baby away for the cold winter months ahead.
With all of my past motorcycles I have done the following.
Fill tank and put it proper amount of STA-BIL. Run engine for a few minutes.
If weather permits I will give her a final wash. (usually doesnt and I end up washing her in the spring)
I usually pull the battery and store it inside but with this new bike Im thinking of just hooking up the battery tender.
Place tennis ***** or something similar in the exhaust.
Place a blanket on the bike as well as the bike cover. (not a heavy duty cover just a lightweight cover to keep the dust and dirt off)
Park it in the corner of the garage and try not to think about it until Spring.

Is there anything else I should do that Im not doing?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

That's more or less all I do. I plug in a tender, I don't bother taking the battery out.

The only thing I can think of is to get yourself some heated gear and extend your season by riding it more. I think 2 years ago, I was out riding on Christmas eve. Just gotta be wary of salt and sand and make sure you wash it when you're done.

I know some folks who'll put it up on a bike lift so the tires don't develop flat spots, but I've never experienced that.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:44 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,087 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by plutnicki
That's more or less all I do. I plug in a tender, I don't bother taking the battery out.

The only thing I can think of is to get yourself some heated gear and extend your season by riding it more. I think 2 years ago, I was out riding on Christmas eve. Just gotta be wary of salt and sand and make sure you wash it when you're done.

I know some folks who'll put it up on a bike lift so the tires don't develop flat spots, but I've never experienced that.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:44 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Downstate NY here:

You do more then I do. Like you, I fill the tank with fresh gas and add appropriate amount of Sta-Bil. I do not remove the batteries - I connect to a BatteryTender. If weather permits, I will try for a mid-winter ride. Ultra goes on it's centerstand, Softail on it's jiffystand - both tucked into a corner of the garage.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:48 AM
twoglides13
Road Captain
Received 237 Likes on 145 Posts

I put mine on a J&S jack to give the suspension and tires a break.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 AM
RagmanZL
Tourer
Received 115 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I dont have a motorcycle jack but I do have a strip of old carpet I was gonna lay down underneath the bike.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:20 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I put gas in it and head out for a ride !

Old 10-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,936 Likes on 2,569 Posts

You have it all covered, anything more is over kill. Not like you are parking it for 5 years, just winter. Plus if you do get a good day, easy enough to take her out for a quick putt. Good luck, winter sucks but even more for you guys Upstate. From your cousins way down state on the Island.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:19 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,598 Likes on 9,813 Posts

In SE Pa. I don't do much, what I do agree on is full tank of gas so the inside of the tank don't rust. No Sta-bil, no battery tender. I let the thing sit on charge in the spring for a few hours, good to go. the battery comes back to life when its warm out. I had ten years plus on my Sportster battery till I had to replace it. yeah I know I should take better care of my chit, but,, ya know. By doing next to nothing, I save $$$. Not buying Sta Bil, not buying batteries till they die etc.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:23 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

My bike spends the winter in the basement on a tender. Sometimes when I feel like going for a ride I gown and sit on it with a fan blowing in my face.... Okay, not really but as much as I love living here and don't mind winter I sure do miss riding it 6 months out of the year. I'm still riding it until the first snowfall.

Quick Reply: Northeastern Riders - How do you winterize your bike?