General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Stainless Steel Fastener Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Sarsippius
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Fastener Questions

I removed engine and trans covers to get them powder coated and I'm looking to replace the fasteners to SS since I already have them out. I scoured the inter-webs as well as these forums and have learned a LOT, but I still have a few questions. In no particular order....
  • Will a grade 8 SS bolt be any more, or less, prone to galling than a standard grade SS bolt provided that they are installed slowly (no power tools) to avoid excess heat, properly torqued using an inch pound torque wrench , and using proper thread lubrication?
  • I know what the manufacturers recommend, but what are YOUR experiences using anti-seize vs blue loctite , vs TefGel? Anti-seize makes the most sense for lubrication and to eliminate galling but i fear that they will constantly need to be re torqued.
  • Any mechanical advantage to using 12pt vs Allen or is it just cosmetic? I actually prefer the look of the Allen head bolts
  • Any personal experience on the the difference between "polished", "show polished" from AlloyBoltz or the offering from Gardner Wescott, Diamond etc. I like a clean polished look but don't care (necessarily like) chrome on this build.
  • Any pictures of these fasteners installed on a black primary, derby, clutch cover etc. would be appreciated.
I don't mind spending the extra money on a grade 8 show polished bolt if there is any real world mechanical advantage AND it's the look I want, but would rather save the dough if the only real world difference is cosmetic.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Old 05-29-2019, 03:02 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

I could swear that I read some where that Loc-Tite has anti seeze in it. I buy my ss bolts from Ace Hardware, I have replaced as many torx with Allens as I can......

The following users liked this post:
bigal51 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 04:54 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Grade 8 will be fine.
I use blue loctite with the exception of the exhaust nuts No problems in 6yrs.
Advantage of 12pt compared to Allen? Don't know. I use 12pts with no complaints so far.
Polished bolts retain the ARP lettering, Show polished have no markings. Purely cosmetic,
Pics? Don't have any. But the show polished look much nicer IMHO.

Sarsippius (05-30-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

I just put the whole engine kit from alloy bolts on over the winter...the stainless ones with the allen head. I used a little dab of never seize and so far in 2500 miles this season not a single one has backed out or needed to be retorqued. Just pay attention because the torque specs change when using never seize. Just my opinion but a grade 8 bolt on any of these covers seems to be over kill. I tried to get bolts from the hardware store but after a lot of hunting and always coming up short ...literally...i gave up and just paid for the set...which is worth the money just for the convenience. My cases are chrome so no sense posting pictures...but they look great

Old 05-30-2019, 08:41 AM
bigal51
Road Captain
Received 577 Likes on 242 Posts

Ace hardware ss screws
You don't need a grade 8 screw for your cam cover, primary, lifter blocks ect. Almost all of those are 1/4-20. A dab of grease on the stainless steel threads and then tork them down. I've been doing this to all my bikes for the last 20 years. never had ANY problems. I did polish the heads with chrome polish.

Sarsippius (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:04 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

I've had SS Allens on my 85 for over 30 years and none of them have galled. I used Allens from the local hardware store, nothing fancy.

Sarsippius (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:12 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Always use anti seize on stainless fasteners. Don`t worry about these fasteners coming loose because they don`t have locktite on them.

I have over 140,000 miles on my `89 Softail, I have not used locktite on any external fasteners, and have never had a single fastener come loose.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:07 PM
Sarsippius
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I just put the whole engine kit from alloy bolts on over the winter...the stainless ones with the allen head. I used a little dab of never seize and so far in 2500 miles this season not a single one has backed out or needed to be retorqued. Just pay attention because the torque specs change when using never seize. Just my opinion but a grade 8 bolt on any of these covers seems to be over kill. I tried to get bolts from the hardware store but after a lot of hunting and always coming up short ...literally...i gave up and just paid for the set...which is worth the money just for the convenience. My cases are chrome so no sense posting pictures...but they look great
Good to hear about the never seize. I'm inclined to use that over blue loctite. I think it'll go together fine with either of them but I worry about the blue loctite if / when it comes time to remove them. My concern with never seize is that they would loosen and cause leaks. Good to hear that was not your experience. I also agree, grade 8 is overkill and I also ordered because it was just too convenient not too.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:09 PM
Sarsippius
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigal51

Ace hardware ss screws
You don't need a grade 8 screw for your cam cover, primary, lifter blocks ect. Almost all of those are 1/4-20. A dab of grease on the stainless steel threads and then tork them down. I've been doing this to all my bikes for the last 20 years. never had ANY problems. I did polish the heads with chrome polish.

Thanks for picture. That looks bad ***!

bigal51 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 05:10 PM
Sarsippius
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bagga
I've had SS Allens on my 85 for over 30 years and none of them have galled. I used Allens from the local hardware store, nothing fancy.
Thanks for the info. The more I read these responses the better I feel about the galling. I've heard horror stories and wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into before I jumped.

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Fastener Questions