General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Opinion needed , possible missfire while riding .

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 01:20 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,478 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I would say that could be true , but I was the first one to show up at the pump , damn slow pokes , Lol .

Old 08-05-2023, 01:24 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,411 Posts

As it is only opinions I have never seen a battery problem fix itself.

The original plug wires must be the correct resistance if they are resistive type else I don't see how your bike has run good for the last 13 years.

I have only experienced a pop once from the exhaust on a bike and it was put down to some foreign object going through the engine. Never happened again and nothing ever appeared to be wrong with the engine.

The following users liked this post:
MyFavRk (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 01:55 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
As it is only opinions I have never seen a battery problem fix itself.

The original plug wires must be the correct resistance if they are resistive type else I don't see how your bike has run good for the last 13 years.

I have only experienced a pop once from the exhaust on a bike and it was put down to some foreign object going through the engine. Never happened again and nothing ever appeared to be wrong with the engine.
Yah , I don't think it's going to be a battery issue , but I'll test it for S&G's . I am going this afternoon to pick up a new set of wires from the dealer , I'll be sure to ask for the ones I need .

Any reason why I should go with se verses standard oem ?

At this point , I feel like all I can do is just ride it and see if the problem appears again , then investigate it further .

WP50 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 02:07 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,411 Posts

Thirteen years says there can't be much wrong with the leads that come as standard on your bike.

Old 08-05-2023, 03:26 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

So , I just got back from the dealer , bought some se plug wires , they told me the price was minimal for the se's compared to the oem 8mm . I'm not expecting any difference by running these , the did say that the 10mm verses the 8mm would give me less resistance .

Any how , I'll put them on tomorrow .

Old 08-05-2023, 06:20 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,719 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
So , I just got back from the dealer , bought some se plug wires , they told me the price was minimal for the se's compared to the oem 8mm . I'm not expecting any difference by running these , the did say that the 10mm verses the 8mm would give me less resistance .

Any how , I'll put them on tomorrow .
At 13 years old you are most likely due wires.

If you have an old style test light put the neg clip on a good ground and rum the metal point along the wire and see if you get a spark to jump to the test light.

Or wet your finger and lean on the gas tank to see if you get a jolt
Off chance you had some water built up around a spark plug boot but it certainly can happen.
Have had it happen to me the next day after washing the bike. I hand was as well.

WP

MyFavRk (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 08:04 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Lol , testing wires the old fashion way , yup , done that more than once . I used to fire bikes up in the dark , use a spray bottle with some water to see if they're throwing sparks .

The old ones actually look pretty good , but it definitely doesn't mean they're worn out . I'm going to put the new ones on tomorrow .

WP50 (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 05:27 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Update , got the new screamin eagle plug wires on , looks great . I got the nice black ones with the orange writing , don't expect any performance gains , but the ladies should like them a lot , Lol .

Also , while the bike is down , I decided to put a filler inside the headlight bezel , noticed during our trip , there was a lot a rattling coming from the front end . It turned out to be the connectors , putting some weather striping around the headlight should cure that , I hope .

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow morning and give the bike a test run , I do have some other things to check , but it can wait .

The voltage test turned out to be ok , no issues there , didn't think that was the issue , but good to know .

Old 08-07-2023, 01:10 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

So , I went out for an hr , mostly highway miles , had it were it acted up last time , 70 mph , 5th gear , no issues what so ever .

I'm still not certain as to what would has caused it , maybe it was bad fuel , don't know .

I'm going out again tomorrow morning with a friend , 3 - 4 hrs in total , hopefully the problem doesn't return , but if it does , I'll update my post .

Old 08-07-2023, 02:25 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,180 Likes on 3,525 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
So , I went out for an hr , mostly highway miles , had it were it acted up last time , 70 mph , 5th gear , no issues what so ever .

I'm still not certain as to what would has caused it , maybe it was bad fuel , don't know .

I'm going out again tomorrow morning with a friend , 3 - 4 hrs in total , hopefully the problem doesn't return , but if it does , I'll update my post .
Another possibility is a small piece of carbon dislodging from the piston and briefly getting lodged under a valve. That might explain the simultaneous exhaust disturbance. Worked its way out and smooth sailing thereafter.

Quick Reply: Opinion needed , possible missfire while riding .