General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 07:42 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,730 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I wish I had the room.
But honestly, I can do everything I need to do using a jack and a rolling stool.
I go back and forth on the subject. I read all the posts from the lovers of the lift tables, and really want to add one.

My J&S jack does great for maintenance, tire work etc., and like you mentioned, I use 2 Drag Specialties center jacks when I do engine work, raised all the way up, and just roll around on my rolling stool. Works great, and is rock solid.

Old 01-14-2024, 07:52 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
I go back and forth on the subject. I read all the posts from the lovers of the lift tables, and really want to add one.

My J&S jack does great for maintenance, tire work etc., and like you mentioned, I use 2 Drag Specialties center jacks when I do engine work, raised all the way up, and just roll around on my rolling stool. Works great, and is rock solid.
Totally out of curiosity, not trying to be a smart ***, have you ever untorqued/torqued the compensator bolt on your bike while on a lift or jacks? I'm just wondering if you were able to loosen it ok and still felt stable while doing it? My table rocks a bit, but the tie down U-Bolt came it handy for me one the times I needed to remove that bolt.

The following 2 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
Uncle Larry (01-14-2024), vicsponjr (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 09:38 AM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Once strapped down my bike feels solid. Both of my knees are waiting for replacements and when I get up I usually grab one of the crash bars to pull myself up lol. When parking my road glide, trying to climb off I steady myself on my heritage which is up on the lift.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:45 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,028 Likes on 3,073 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Totally out of curiosity, not trying to be a smart ***, have you ever untorqued/torqued the compensator bolt on your bike while on a lift or jacks? I'm just wondering if you were able to loosen it ok and still felt stable while doing it? My table rocks a bit, but the tie down U-Bolt came it handy for me one the times I needed to remove that bolt.

I did my stator on a jack.
Jacked it up just enough the get the bike level but wheels still on the ground.
2 straps and the bike didn't move anymore than yours does.
I'm not seeing the problem. The only benefit is not having the keep having to stand up from the stool to go to the tool box.
For me, the lift would have more negatives than plus's.
Cost
Storage
Standing instead of sitting

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 07:05 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,730 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Yes sir! I actually did it on the J&S with the wheels on the ground

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 07:58 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,251 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Yes sir! I actually did it on the J&S with the wheels on the ground
The J&S is rock solid.

The following 2 users liked this post by 702:
MotoJockey (01-15-2024), NEWROADSTER (01-18-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 08:11 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I like the HF for a small area. When not in use, I fold it and place it on its side against the wall. For long storage, I lift it up vertically and have a strap around the top. It’s a good lift against the wall for a mid seventies man, but I still prefer it out of the way. That’s why the Handy lift went away, I had to work around it when not in use. I don’t have a dedicated motorcycle garage and too many motorcycles come and go to just have it ready all the time. The HFs ability to be placed flat against the wall made it perfect for my small space. Never any issues with baggers.

The following 2 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
s-glide76 (01-20-2024), user 775547 (01-17-2024)