General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Newbie with Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 09:12 AM
SoftailMatt05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with Questions...

Hey Everyone! Looking forward to joining your ranks after 15 years without a bike and having never owned a REAL one!

I am looking for your advice.

I am considering new. Just too darn hard to find what I want used (Heritage Softail Classic Black Cherry/Pearl Black).

What should I expect to pay? MSRP? I am going to add some minor chrome and exhaust. Should I expect 10% from the dealer? More?

I'll search the exhaust threads before I ask questions! I know from Corvette ownership that the exhaust thread is a horse well beat!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-22-2005, 09:48 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Newbie with Questions...

MSRP is fair, though with some shopping and dealer working, some have managed to get a little better. If you know EXACTLY what you want and are not willing to bend, you'll find yourself in the club that many are in, WAITING FOR MY RIDE TO ARRIVE CLUB.

Not a problem, but it does suck, particularly when the weather gets a little nicer.

You're right, from a fellow vette owner, the exhaust thing is a beaten horse, but a good one, in my mind. It's all about the personallity of you and your sled, so choose wisely. I picked mine out by hanging out one Saturday afternoon at the local HD, listening to different rides and talking to owners that had them.

Hope you'll stick around and this helps you some.

Mac

Old 02-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello and Welcome SoftailMatt05.

I'm sure you'll make a wise decission.

Good Luck!

Old 02-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome softail, good luck on you purchase. I would say that you should be able to buy at MSRP, and possibly sweeten the deal with either warranty, service, or apparel should you be persistant in shopping. Enjoy the forum.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:34 AM
hawk
Road Master

I was in the same mode when I bought my last ride,I looked for months for a Heritage that I liked,I was almost ready to buy a new one when I found just what I was lookin for (An 01 with very low mileage and in pristine condition).If you can't wait buy the new one and if you have the time and the resolve you will look at a lot of dogs but you will find a winner.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

In our area, near MSRP or just a little over is the norm. If you can't find that, shop around, there are a lot of shops these days that are at MSRP.

As far as discounts on parts, some do and some don't. This might be a negoiating point when you are ready to buy.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

MSRP is the norm. If you hammer them hard enough, you can reduce the "freight and prep" and get some "in store bucks" to spend at the dealership. Additionally, most dealers give you a one time 15-20% discount on add-ons and accessories at the time of purchase.

Good luck,

Ryan

Old 02-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome from SoCal, MSRP is the rule of thumb

Old 02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
CobraKid
Road Captain

I got my Heritage at MSRP, I also talked them into throwing in rear floorboards and the saddlebag relocation bracket, I get a one time 15 percent off service, parts and motorclothes within the first year from purchase. I wouldn't pay over the msrp, we all know that they can at least meet that.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1243/5B68FE505CC64FD2AE7837519D12E510.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-22-2005, 08:06 PM
investorsc
Road Master

That is the kickass color combo this year. Buddy just got his ULTRA in those colors. MSRP should happen. We got 15% off parts......SOme dealers are running Feb. Specials 15% off parts and same discount on labor.

BRUCE

Quick Reply: Newbie with Questions...