General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Squeaking, Thumping and Rattling...Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 PM
SLP24
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking, Thumping and Rattling...Oh My!

Well I though all Harley's made a lot of noise other than that which it emits for the pipes. I was wrong. I decide to tear off every thing from my bike until I found the source of every squeak, thumping and rattle.

Started with he easy stuff. Saddle Bags, then onto the tour pack. Found the first problem. A cracked tour pack bar (the tube is cracked right in half at one of the anchor bolt locations) and the mounting point for the bar to attach to the bike was loose on the same side. Really loose! Take it for a ride, still more squeaks.

Off comes the seat. Nope, back on it goes. I finally isolate the rubber isolators for the pipes. I temporarily shim them to stop it take it for a ride, but there are still more.

Something rattling in the pipes. I pull them off. Sounds like sand inside the pipes. Baffles rotting or something? I take it for a ride...STRAIGHT PIPES. Happy to wake up the neighborhood!

Thats it. I now have every part off the bike that was Squeaking, Thumping and Rattling.

NOW WHAT?

I know, replace the parts and put it back together, but I;d really like to know how the tour pack tube broke and if I really need to replace the pipes with only 38k miles. The bike also had a broken engine mount I had fixed last year!

Should I just weld the tube or replace it? Still need a bar 9/16/08
Should I put new stock mufflers on or aftermarket? ---Found a pair of Stock 9/16
Replace the rubber isolators or just add some white grease?

Anyone else have these problems?

In the mean time, I'll keep waking up the neighbors

Attached Thumbnails Squeaking, Thumping and Rattling...Oh My!-bar-comp.jpg   Squeaking, Thumping and Rattling...Oh My!-crack-comp.jpg   Squeaking, Thumping and Rattling...Oh My!-lft-side-comp.jpg   Squeaking, Thumping and Rattling...Oh My!-rt-side-comp.jpg  

Last edited by SLP24; 09-16-2008 at 08:55 AM.