General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:15 PM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty Question

Question for anyone who has purchased a New Harley from a dealership.
I want to do simple stage 1 upgrades on my '09 FXD.
Just Screaming Eagle Air cleaner And Slip on mufflers.
Reading The information from H-D I gather that unless you have these upgrades installed by the dealer they will void your warranty.
Sounds really chicken**** to me and I think Ca. Law requires them to prove how your upgrades caused whatever failure is involved.
But I would like to hear from any rider that has had problems with dealer claims of no coverage.
I've paid for the extra 5 years of warranty and don't want to get screwed.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 AM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a friend that had warranty denied after his 07 crank scissored because he had the stage 1. Not the dealer,the factory rep denied it. Mike

Old 03-06-2009, 11:55 AM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent this Email to the dealer I purchased my Dyna from.

I would like to install a Screaming Eagle air cleaner and Screaming Eagle slip on mufflers on the SuperGlide I purchased from you.Because I am on a fixed Income I would prefer to do the labor myself. These are simple upgrades that don't require a degree in rocket science to perform. I would of course have the EFI ECM remapped to adjust to these changes. That may or may not be done at your dealership depending on the labor quote I receive from you and competing shops.The question I have is, should I experience an engine or other failure other than the Air cleaner or exhaust, Do you stand behind the Warranty?A simple answer without a lot of ifs, ands, buts and ors will help.

This is the reply I recieved.

We cannot warranty work that we have not done. (I thought I was clear that I didn't expect them to do that.) If you purchase the items over the counter to install yourself they have a 90 day warranty on defective merchandise only. We stand behind the factory warranty 100% as long as the problem was not caused by aftermarket parts or work done by anyone other than factory authorized dealers. I hope this answers your questions.

Now I understand that to mean they will honor the warranty even if I do my own installation of the upgrades.