General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

How do you tap out a hole???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM
PhilG57
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you tap out a hole???

Another question for you experienced mechanics...

I'm getting ready to install a Cruise-Mate mechanical cruise control on my 2000 Road King Classic. Part of the process is to drill out an existing hole in the handlebars and then use a tap to put new threads in that hole.

I used to have a tap and die set which had a nice handle that, when the tap was inserted into it, make a nice "T" shape so you could gently, but firmly, turn the tap in the newly drilled hole. Unfortunately, I sold the tap and die set with the boat...

My question: without a correct handle, how or with what, do I grasp the die so I can turn it in the new hole? I suspect some force will be required and I also know I will have to keep the die accurately aligned so the new threads are correctly cut into the new hold. Pliers or vise-grips just don't seem to be the answer. Do I just bite the bullet and buy a handle for this one time project?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have carefully done it with a pair of Vice Grips. But you have to be very careful not to get it at an angle or you will snap the die and then you are in a heap of hurt.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I thought I read that you have to remove the inner piece in the housing.
And yes, a vice grip will work.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 PM
moutainman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post easy way to tap

Originally Posted by PhilG57
Another question for you experienced mechanics...

I'm getting ready to install a Cruise-Mate mechanical cruise control on my 2000 Road King Classic. Part of the process is to drill out an existing hole in the handlebars and then use a tap to put new threads in that hole.
if you happen to have a cordless drill to make the hole larger, you can use it on low speed to tap the hole out,, just remember to use plenty of oil on the tap and if it doesnt go thru easy,, back out half way then go forward again.

I used to have a tap and die set which had a nice handle that, when the tap was inserted into it, make a nice "T" shape so you could gently, but firmly, turn the tap in the newly drilled hole. Unfortunately, I sold the tap and die set with the boat...

My question: without a correct handle, how or with what, do I grasp the die so I can turn it in the new hole? I suspect some force will be required and I also know I will have to keep the die accurately aligned so the new threads are correctly cut into the new hold. Pliers or vise-grips just don't seem to be the answer. Do I just bite the bullet and buy a handle for this one time project?

Thanks.

The easiest way is use your cordless drill on low to tap the hole after or u can get bits that drill then tap after with the same bit,, just go slow and use plenty of oil and reverse out then forward again if nesicary

Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to Harbor Freight and you can pick up what you need cheap.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 590 Likes on 309 Posts

I used a socket and ratchet handle. Bound to be a socket in your tool chest that will fit. Grip it near the head.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,247 Likes on 8,381 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by moutainman
The easiest way is use your cordless drill on low to tap the hole after or u can get bits that drill then tap after with the same bit,, just go slow and use plenty of oil and reverse out then forward again if nesicary
I use a cordless drill that has a clutch on it, and it works like a champ. `Never have stripped threads or broke a tap.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:26 AM
Jetblack3
Tourer
Received 258 Likes on 116 Posts

Really depends on how deep you have to tap threads. If your only going shallow doing it with a wrench or socket is ok. The deeper you have to go the more you can error. There are 3 types of taps; a taper tap has a long taper on it and is good for stating a hole, an intermediate tap has a shallow taper and will work ok / probably most common and a bottoming tap which is squared off on the tip so threads are cut completely to the bottom of hole, however can be difficult to keep straight to start. The idea is to start with an intermediate or taper tap, this way the tap will be in the hole a bit an kind of align itself then go as deep as you need. Then back out and run bottoming tap in and cut threads all the way to bottom. If bolt is short enough you may not need the bottoming tap.

The cordless drill works too but I prefer to feel what I'm doing / just personal preference.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:39 AM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just remember to back off on the tap every couple of cw turns to clear the threads. I'm thinking that it's a big enough bolt that snapping off the tap probably won't be as much of a concern as a crooked hole, or worse yet, stripped threads. Aluminum doesn't always play fair. As far as buying a tap handle, the cheapest thing on a Harley is the owner. Go from there.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Slap
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the correct drill bit is every bit important, a slightly smaller bit then let your tap cut the threads that way you'll have clean sharp threads...a machinists handbook will have all the info you need...

Quick Reply: How do you tap out a hole???