Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:41 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
We can also park the Ultra inside the camper at night.
I never really understood the need to do that, especially with a touring motorcycle. As someone that takes a few trips every year, I'm bound to hit a rainy day or two. I just keep on going till I get to my planned destination for the day. Or if the weather is really bad, I may stop for awhile and grab something to eat and wait out the storm. Is the reason you park the motorcycle inside the camper to keep it from getting wet?

Old 12-06-2014, 11:06 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

You put the bike in the tent so you can listen to tunes before you go to sleep.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:07 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
While others will disagree, the Harley is not really up to the task for serious touring yanking a trailer. Yes, you can do it, but it's not the proper tool.
I'm one of those that will disagree with that opinion. No doubt the Gold Wing has more power, water cooling, etc., but my 95" '00 Roadglide has pulled an Aspen camper cross country, over the Rockies and Sierra's with no problem. Worked just fine for me. I also sometimes attach a sidecar and pull the trailer. Did a 4,000 mile trip last summer, sidecar on and pulling the trailer through the Tetons, Yellowstone, Bear Tooth Highway and Big Horn Canyon. Zero problems.

Last edited by deadhawg; 12-06-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by deadhawg
I'm one of those that will disagree with that opinion. No doubt the Gold Wing has more power, water cooling, etc., but my 95" '00 Roadglide has pulled an Aspen camper cross country, over the Rockies and Sierra's with no problem. Worked just fine for me. I also sometimes attach a sidecar and pull the trailer. Did a 4,000 mile trip last summer, sidecar on and pulling the trailer through the Tetons, Yellowstone, Bear Tooth Highway and Big Horn Canyon. Zero problems.
Now that had to have some unique handling challenges going through Beartooth pass. Got any pictures of the setup?

Old 12-07-2014, 06:16 PM
wijr1949
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If one were going to add a hitch to a TriGlide, would it be beneficial to have the lift kit installed?

Old 12-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot
One thing I didn't cheap out on was the trailer hitch. In my opinion the best hitch for our bikes is Hitch Doc, made in Minnesota.

Pull one pin and the receiver comes out and your bike doesn't even look like it has a trailer hitch installed. Very well made, triple chromed. Easy to install, all the holes lined up on my 06 Ultra. I bought mine through Open Road Outfitters:

http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/in...roducts_id=283

This website has great pics showing you what it looks like, even an installation video. No, I don't own/work for them. I just was very impressed and am happy with their product. Made in the USA.
+1 on HitchDoc. Good people.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:39 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Now that had to have some unique handling challenges going through Beartooth pass. Got any pictures of the setup?
Here's a few, one shows my bike, sidecar and trailer and my wife's bike and hack, another with camp set up in the Tetons.

Attached Thumbnails Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?-yellowstone42.jpg   Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?-beartooth.jpg   Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?-tetons.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 11:53 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

That is one crazy unique looking sidecar. I bet you get all sorts of questions at every gas stop. Thanks for the pictures. That is a bit more of a rig than I am looking for at this point, but still cool.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:12 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
That is one crazy unique looking sidecar. I bet you get all sorts of questions at every gas stop. Thanks for the pictures. That is a bit more of a rig than I am looking for at this point, but still cool.
Yeah, it gets a lot of attention at stops. It's a lot to haul around, but we usually ride to a scenic spot, set up the trailer at a campsite for a home base and ride around the area for a few days, then hook up and move to the next location. We do at least one trip a year of a month or more, and spent four months doing a loop around the country a couple years ago. That's when it's nice to have everything we need with us.

After many years of traveling and camping with just the bikes and a small tent, we have come to appreciate all the comforts we can carry now. King size bed off the ground, plenty of room to stand up inside the tent, all the cooking gear we need to make a tasty meal at the campsite and a good size cooler for plenty of beer!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:24 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wijr1949
If one were going to add a hitch to a TriGlide, would it be beneficial to have the lift kit installed?
Yes I would add a lift before I pulled a trailer too far. You will be glad you did.

Quick Reply: Who has pulled a trailer with their bike?