Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

2010 Roadking trike conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:03 PM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2010 Roadking trike conversion

I need to convert my 2010 RK to a trike due to an injury to my leg. I looked at a CSC conversion and was very impressed. I am looking for other opinions and suggestions. Thanks

Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Roadsmith, Champion and Hannigan are a couple others you may want to look into. I converted my RK with a Champion IRS. One of the primary reasons I went with the Champion kit was because there is a very good dealer close to me and I liked the product. One thing I didn't care for with the CSC was the overall length. Their kit and a few others, place the rear tire completely behind the passenger which makes the trike pretty long. That's great for riding comfort but I just couldn't warm up to the look of having the rear tire so far behind the rider. It's a great product though. Get reverse. I prefer mechanical and you also want to get the rake kit which makes handling much better. There are a lot of really good trike conversions available and picking between the major makers is like picking between a Toyota and a Honda or a Chevy and a Ford. Nothing wrong with any of them and it comes down to personal preference. It's the best mod I ever did to any bike and I don't regret it for a single second. On day one I was thinking "what the hell have I just done to a perfectly good bike". After about a week in the trike saddle, I was wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:52 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Do you have any pictures of your conversion? Did you have to use the stock Harley exhaust for your conversion? CSC requires the stock pipes to tie into the conversions exhaust system. I presently have a 2 into 1 pipe from fuel moto and a power commander. I would have to put my original pipes back on and go back to the original ecm. I was very impressed with the design of the CSC construction. I was able to see it with the body off and on. The length is longer but I didn't mind it. I am going to see if one of the local Harley dealers have one of the new trikes available to compare with. The impression I get from reading about it is that it might be cramped for me and it doesn't have a very good ride. I have my roadking set up the way I want , seat, handle bars etc. and it is paid for! The csc conversion looks to be about $14000. In looking at some of the others they start out cheaper but by the time you ad in the options etc. that the csc has the prices are comparable.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:45 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
Thanks for the info. Do you have any pictures of your conversion? Did you have to use the stock Harley exhaust for your conversion? CSC requires the stock pipes to tie into the conversions exhaust system. I presently have a 2 into 1 pipe from fuel moto and a power commander. I would have to put my original pipes back on and go back to the original ecm. I was very impressed with the design of the CSC construction. I was able to see it with the body off and on. The length is longer but I didn't mind it. I am going to see if one of the local Harley dealers have one of the new trikes available to compare with. The impression I get from reading about it is that it might be cramped for me and it doesn't have a very good ride. I have my roadking set up the way I want , seat, handle bars etc. and it is paid for! The csc conversion looks to be about $14000. In looking at some of the others they start out cheaper but by the time you ad in the options etc. that the csc has the prices are comparable.
I had SC mufflers on mine so that was no problem as far as the exhaust goes. I think you may have a problem with a 2-1 but I can't say for sure. I rode several trikes prior to making my selection and the TriGlide was far and away the worst handling and least comfortable of those I tried. I think it is due to the solid axle vs IRS. I loved the way my RK was before the conversion, but post conversion, I needed to change the bars. I had WO 518 bars and now it has Khrome Werks heritage bars. I loved the WO's when it only had 2 wheels, but not so much with 3. The heritage bars are narrower and have a better wrist angle than the WO's. Here are a couple pics of my conversion

2010 Roadking trike conversion-img_0385.jpg

2010 Roadking trike conversion-img_0383.jpg

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change a thing except for MAYBE getting a parking brake. The reverse and the rake I'd do again no question and like I said before, I don't know why I waited so long to go with a trike. I absolutely love it. They handle way better than most think they do and they are definitely fun to ride. I went with a trike after 47 years of riding 2 wheeled Harleys. I ended up with more storage space without a tour pack than a ultra has with one. A new Ultra has 4.2 cu ft of storage and I've got 5.75 cu ft.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently had a MotorTrike conversion done to my '10 RK. Very happy with the product and the installer. You installer can make ALL the difference here, so make sure you're comfortable with the shop. As far as brands go, I think they are very comparable in quality. I researched at length before deciding on MotorTrike. Just couldn't come to grips with the increased wheelbase conversions. They just look silly to me. My dealer does both MotorTrike and RoadSmith, so I got a close-up look at both.
Good luck,
Regards,
ed

Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

I was thinking I might have to change the bars on mine I do the conversion. I am going to have to find some other models of conversions in my are for comparison. How much power does your conversion take from the original bike?

Attached Thumbnails 2010 Roadking trike conversion-100_0851.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 12:19 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

You lose a little power with the third wheel, but it isn't enough to really make much of a difference. If needed I can still crank it up and pass traffic, merge, or do whatever I need to do. I rode a TriGlide, a Roadsmith, CSC, the Champion and a Lehman before I made my choice. Steady Eddie is right. The dealer/installer can make all the difference so chose wisely. I changed the bars because with a trike, you turn the bars lock to lock much more than I ever did with 2 wheels. Parking, turning around, etc, there is no lean to assist with the turning radius so you crank the bars more. It was uncomfortable with wide low bars. On the road, it didn't matter, but low speed and general maneuvering around the wide bars didn't cut it.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll add that I did NOT get the "easy steer" option. I have wide bars which provides plenty of leverage. Now, that being said.....roadking2000 is correct about the "lock to lock" at low speeds or parking, etc. Fortunately for me I have long arms. Get the mechanical reverse if you can. MotorTrike makes their own for HD 6 speeds, and my dealer recommends it even on his RoadSmith conversions. I converted my RK for the same reasons as you. I had it set up just perfect for me, and didn't want to start over making all of the mods on a different bike. Nerve damage to my left side from chemo started the process rolling. And I'm rreally glad I made the change.
Regards,
ed

Old 02-28-2015, 07:34 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser

I looked at a new Freewheeler yesterday.....sure is pretty but... It was too cramped for me. It needs a different seat to make you set back further. It just reinforced my thoughts about a conversion . Plus my RK is paid for. I am going to check out a motor trike dealer today. I am leaning towards them over the CSC conversion.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:38 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Are you leaning toward trog or gladiator? It's your choice, but I'd go Gladiator for the IRS. The air ride suspension with the on board compressor is a very nice feature. I doubt you'll have any regrets doing a conversion over getting the Freewheeler. I'm pretty sure they saw my trike and decided to clone it, mod the fenders and call it a Freewheeler. They missed the mark because I like mine better. When I was shopping, the motortrike was crossed off my list because of the dealer. I didn't like the closest one at all and the next closest was to far away for me. There were a couple other reasons I went Champion, but the Motortrike is another of the good conversions and I should have mentioned them in my earlier post. Hey, good luck and which ever you finally chose, get it done before riding season gets into full swing. Spring will be here before you know it. I look out my window, and at the thermometer and it seems a long way away, but good riding weather will be upon us soon...........or so they say.

Quick Reply: 2010 Roadking trike conversion