Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Roadman Camper.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 669 Posts

I have no experience with the Roadman camper, but looking at their website, it looks like a real pain to set up, and as someone else said, you're basically setting up a tent on a trailer. Lots of poles and ropes.

I've pulled an Aspen Classic all over the country, and while it is heavier than the Roadman, one person can set it up in five minutes. Folds down for travel in not much more. Plenty of dry storage space inside under the queen size bed that does not need to be disturbed for setup. Room for two people to sleep, stand up, change clothes, etc. Big screened windows for lots of airflow when you want it, zips up tight when you don't.

The only problem I've had with it is that there is so much storage space, it's easy to overload it, as I did on our first trip.

Last edited by deadhawg; 02-29-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:25 PM
leprechaun667
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
As someone who previously owned a Kompact Kamp MiniMate, I can provide you with some opinions on this product. Keep in mind my requirements may be vastly different from yours. Also, there are a number of different campers on the market each offering different benefits. It really comes down to what's important to you and what trade off you're willing to make.

Pros:
Popular camper
Factory located fairly close in Meyerstown, PA
Owner is approachable and involved in operations of the company
Lightweight camper, one of the lightest on the market
Hardtop
Setup is VERY fast
Packing up is also fast
Awning package is nice and integrates well
Sleeping off the ground, everything is off the ground
15 cf of storage, accessible even when tent isn't setup
Luggage rack on top can be used to carry even more gear
One of the lower cost units

Cons:
It is a good size for one person, but with two people you lose the dressing area unless you fiddle around with moving the bed board. I just found it too much of a compromise/hassle using this camper with two people.

With the camper closed, I can only access the stuff in front and close to the door. I can't reach all the way into the camper and grab something that may be in the back. Plus, the door size limits the width of an item you can pull out.

If you have a lot of stuff in the camper, when one goes to setup the top, you need to juggle things around in the storage area so that you can raise the two bed boards on the sides.

I'm not fond of the way the bed support poles/tubing is engineered/setup with the two small stanchions in the top. I feel this is a poor design and not very strong. Can't change/adjust the length of the bed board supports. Need to place some type of support/wood under bed-board loop to adjust.

Not happy that one needs to slightly open the camper to open the rear door.

I'm not fond of the 8" wheels. I'd rather have a camper with 12" wheels and electric brakes.

Leveling jacks hit the under-body of the camper when in the upright position. I installed hard felt to prevent the jacks from damaging the under-body. I can't believe the manufacturer never experienced this.

Zipper on front door in down position rattles against door.

Bed-boards sit on hinge, should router slot in board to sit flush

A number of the fasteners on the boards should have been counter-sunk. Again, poor design or just done to save money/time.

The camper does not have the required yellow front side marker lamps and red rear side marker lamps. These are basic requirements for all trailers.
Points well taken and a great review.
I will mostly use this by myself. My wife only goes with me occasionally. Usually we just get a hotel when she comes with me. She doesn't like to sacrifice the luxuries of home. Not even a Little
Thank you very much.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:57 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,580 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by MichTex
I'm a fan of the tear drop campers and have thought about building one. There's a ton of info about them on the googler
If you are considering building a teardrop camper, make sure you check out the below websites for ideas and general information.

TVENTURING - Trailer Supported Adventuring
http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/index.php

Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers
http://www.tnttt.com/