Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Roadman Camper.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 PM
leprechaun667
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Roadman Camper.

I would like to get a camper to pull behind my bike.
There are many options out there.
I've been checking all the models out.
The one that really seems to strike my fancy is The Roadman Camper.
Are there any owners of this camper out there that could tell any personal experience with it? Is this a good quality?
http://www.roadmancampers.com/roadmancampers.html

Old 02-26-2016, 12:37 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,569 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I don't have any personal experience with the Roadman camper, but I can provide a few observations. I've owned two different pop-up campers, a Kompact Kamp MiniMate and an Aspen Sentry.

Pros:
One of the lightest campers out there.
Roadman: Queen sized bed (60" W x 76" L), 275 lbs, 19 cubic feet of storage (does this number include the tent storage space??)
Aspen Sentry: Queen sized bed (60” W x 84” L), 325 lbs, 22 cubic feet of storage

Cons:
Does not setup as quickly as other pop-up campers. Lots of poles. The tent isn't part of the trailer, hence you are basically setting up a tent on a trailer.

Setting up in the rain the bed board is going to get wet. Possibly the gear underneath the bed board will get wet also. Longer setup time, means one is more miserable if erecting this in the rain.

More complicated setup means more difficulty setting up when it's dark outside.

Packing up the camper after a rain storm, a wet tent is stored inside the camper next to and with all your gear.

Might be a struggle to get the tent back into the storage bag.

I don't see any roof cross-bracing to support the tent structure, so I'm guessing the awning in front must provide some structural support. To setup the awning in front, one would need to stake down the aluminum shock corded tent poles. If one is setting up this camper on a hard surface, staking out the tent poles becomes more difficult than just attaching the cord to a stake in the dirt. Basically, this just seems difficult to setup on a hard surface.

No side windows in front sleeping area, limiting air flow.

The only option for a mattress is an air mattress. If you had a foam mattress rolled up in the storage area you wouldn't have much room for any gear.

No electric brake option.

It's difficult to tell from the Roadman campers website or the pictures they posted, but it seems to me the camper does not have the required yellow front side marker lamps and red rear side marker lamps. These are basic requirements for all trailers.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/stan.../Trlrpstr.html

Here's a setup video of a Roadman Camper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QAp...ature=youtu.be

I recommend an Aspen camper.
http://www.trailmasterinc.com/
http://www.aspenqualitytrailers.com/

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 02-26-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

This is a very timely subject for me. I'm in central Florida in a tent, headed for the Keys on Sunday. The tent thing leaves a lot to be desired. It adds so E serious time to a travel day front and back. When I get home I'm gonna have a look at the Aspen.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:20 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

If one happens to make it up to Americade, I'm pretty sure I'll be conducting a seminar on Wednesday June 8, 2016 @ 3:00pm titled "Intro to Cargo Trailers & Pop-Up Campers".

Old 02-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I can't say that NY is on my list this year but I'm sure going to research based on what you've posted when I get home.

The open it and it's a camper thing is a big one with me.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:51 AM
leprechaun667
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
If one happens to make it up to Americade, I'm pretty sure I'll be conducting a seminar on Wednesday June 8, 2016 @ 3:00pm titled "Intro to Cargo Trailers & Pop-Up Campers".
I will be there. I will check it out
Thanks

Old 02-27-2016, 10:28 AM
MichTex
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Father in law pulled one like that behind his Valk But I don't think he liked it much. From what I remember The cons from the above post from look out where a lot of the same reasons. He used a tarp to make an enclosure around the front for extra room and privacy. It looked geddo but worked.
I'm a fan of the tear drop campers and have thought about building one. There's a ton of info about them on the googler. The big thing about them is the outside kitchen and the small light weight. There are manufacturers building them but I think home built would be the way to go. That's what most are doing with basic tools and a Harbor Freight trailer or any other you would like. Built home price could be well under $2000.00 for a really tricked out camper!
Size behind a Bike would be the only concern I have no idea what would or should fit behind a bike because I haven't done it.

This link just had some good pictures of the features I'm not endorsing the brand I just found them doing an image search and thought it would be easier to post then a bunch of pics... I thought the price was nuts to. Hope this helps.

http://www.dnmteardroptrailers.com/o...drop-trailers/

Old 02-27-2016, 03:35 PM
leprechaun667
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I don't have any personal experience with the Roadman camper, but I can provide a few observations. I've owned two different pop-up campers, a Kompact Kamp MiniMate and an Aspen Sentry.

Pros:
One of the lightest campers out there.
Roadman: Queen sized bed (60" W x 76" L), 275 lbs, 19 cubic feet of storage (does this number include the tent storage space??)
Aspen Sentry: Queen sized bed (60” W x 84” L), 325 lbs, 22 cubic feet of storage

Cons:
Does not setup as quickly as other pop-up campers. Lots of poles. The tent isn't part of the trailer, hence you are basically setting up a tent on a trailer.

Setting up in the rain the bed board is going to get wet. Possibly the gear underneath the bed board will get wet also. Longer setup time, means one is more miserable if erecting this in the rain.

More complicated setup means more difficulty setting up when it's dark outside.

Packing up the camper after a rain storm, a wet tent is stored inside the camper next to and with all your gear.

Might be a struggle to get the tent back into the storage bag.

I don't see any roof cross-bracing to support the tent structure, so I'm guessing the awning in front must provide some structural support. To setup the awning in front, one would need to stake down the aluminum shock corded tent poles. If one is setting up this camper on a hard surface, staking out the tent poles becomes more difficult than just attaching the cord to a stake in the dirt. Basically, this just seems difficult to setup on a hard surface.

No side windows in front sleeping area, limiting air flow.

The only option for a mattress is an air mattress. If you had a foam mattress rolled up in the storage area you wouldn't have much room for any gear.

No electric brake option.

It's difficult to tell from the Roadman campers website or the pictures they posted, but it seems to me the camper does not have the required yellow front side marker lamps and red rear side marker lamps. These are basic requirements for all trailers.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/stan.../Trlrpstr.html

Here's a setup video of a Roadman Camper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QAp...ature=youtu.be

I recommend an Aspen camper.
http://www.trailmasterinc.com/
http://www.aspenqualitytrailers.com/
Thanks this is just the type of input i was looking for. Even though this is a nice looking trailer and I'm sure the quality is good. I don't want to be stuck in the rain or dark trying setup without getting everything else wet.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:49 PM
leprechaun667
Cruiser

I have an opportunity to pick up an older Kompact Kamp trailer for a very good price so I'm going to get it for this season. I can try that out to see if I'm even going to like pulling and camping with a trailer. As opposed

to Hotel rooms or simply camping with my old tent on the ground.

I should have taken some photos while it was set up, but we were pressed for time

Old 02-28-2016, 07:26 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by leprechaun667
I have an opportunity to pick up an older Kompact Kamp trailer for a very good price
As someone who previously owned a Kompact Kamp MiniMate, I can provide you with some opinions on this product. Keep in mind my requirements may be vastly different from yours. Also, there are a number of different campers on the market each offering different benefits. It really comes down to what's important to you and what trade off you're willing to make.

Pros:
Popular camper
Factory located fairly close in Meyerstown, PA
Owner is approachable and involved in operations of the company
Lightweight camper, one of the lightest on the market
Hardtop
Setup is VERY fast
Packing up is also fast
Awning package is nice and integrates well
Sleeping off the ground, everything is off the ground
15 cf of storage, accessible even when tent isn't setup
Luggage rack on top can be used to carry even more gear
One of the lower cost units

Cons:
It is a good size for one person, but with two people you lose the dressing area unless you fiddle around with moving the bed board. I just found it too much of a compromise/hassle using this camper with two people.

With the camper closed, I can only access the stuff in front and close to the door. I can't reach all the way into the camper and grab something that may be in the back. Plus, the door size limits the width of an item you can pull out.

If you have a lot of stuff in the camper, when one goes to setup the top, you need to juggle things around in the storage area so that you can raise the two bed boards on the sides.

I'm not fond of the way the bed support poles/tubing is engineered/setup with the two small stanchions in the top. I feel this is a poor design and not very strong. Can't change/adjust the length of the bed board supports. Need to place some type of support/wood under bed-board loop to adjust.

Not happy that one needs to slightly open the camper to open the rear door.

I'm not fond of the 8" wheels. I'd rather have a camper with 12" wheels and electric brakes.

Leveling jacks hit the under-body of the camper when in the upright position. I installed hard felt to prevent the jacks from damaging the under-body. I can't believe the manufacturer never experienced this.

Zipper on front door in down position rattles against door.

Bed-boards sit on hinge, should router slot in board to sit flush

A number of the fasteners on the boards should have been counter-sunk. Again, poor design or just done to save money/time.

The camper does not have the required yellow front side marker lamps and red rear side marker lamps. These are basic requirements for all trailers.

Quick Reply: Roadman Camper.