Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

receiver style trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 06:11 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DANNER55
I solved the safety chain issue by welding a heavy chain link to the bottom of the receiver. Cost zero!
Curious, are you using real chain for safety chains? I know if the hitch should fail (doubtful) I damn sure do not want that trailer chained to the back of the bike as it sways along out of control and possibly drags me and the wife down. Where I live, the law says you have to have chains. However, they do not specify materials. So I got some plastic crowd control chain, painted it silver, carefully bolted to the trailer and use two 3 inch belt buckle key clips to attach to the bike. Something to think about.

The following users liked this post:
BikerPepe` (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 02:30 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I had the same concerns and while I used a real, orange chain, bolted to the trailer... I connected it to the bike hitch (up, under) with a zip tie. Visually passed any casual inspection but that chain would easily break away in an emergency situation.

Sorry but I couldn't see that a small, lightweight trailer like that could cause any less problems for traffic breaking loose from me on it's own than it would dragging me, the ol' lady and the bike down with it, as it skipped and bounced around on the road and probably run into or over us, as we skid down the asphalt.

There's legality and there's unnecessary risk for the sake of false security. My hitch was built extremely solid and the tongue on my trailer would freely spin around 360+ degrees, solidly connected but unimpeded until the wires bound around it.

I figured if I found myself in any situation that would really depend on that chain, I'd already be well past "a world of hurt".

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 07-04-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:38 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I thought the purpose of safety chains was to protect the innocent bystander and/or vehicle from an errant trailer? It seems an owner attaching break-away safety chains to their trailer is just another case of an owner not taking any responsibility (IMHO).
Anyways, most states have a law that plainly states that the chain strength must maintain control if the hitch fails.

Originally Posted by BezerkoBob
I know if the hitch should fail (doubtful) I damn sure do not want that trailer chained to the back of the bike as it sways along out of control and possibly drags me and the wife down. Where I live, the law says you have to have chains. However, they do not specify materials. So I got some plastic crowd control chain, painted it silver, carefully bolted to the trailer and use two 3 inch belt buckle key clips to attach to the bike. Something to think about.
Originally Posted by BikerPepe`
I had the same concerns and while I used a real, orange chain, bolted to the trailer... I connected it to the bike hitch (up, under) with a zip tie. Visually passed any casual inspection but that chain would easily break away in an emergency situation.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:39 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Not the first time I've been considered an a-hole. That said... I went through great pains to ensure that it never would/could break free in the first place. I even use a pad lock to lock the hitch/ball lever down and not just some cheap *** "keeper pin".

Most states require a double chain the crosses underneath the trailer hitch, so if it somehow breaks away (most likely to be an errant owner, not securing the ball/hitch connection in the first place) the chains will cradle the hitch and hold it up off the ground, until you can safely come to a stop.
On a motorcycle hitch, the fender isn't wide enough to provide the type of cross-under chain connection, thereby ensuring that the tongue will still hit the ground and very possibly, dig in and throw the bike into chaos.

You can stay connected to that if you like. I just went the extra mile to ensure that it should never be an issue but if it is... my bike and I being splattered across the road isn't likely to be any better for anyone in the near vicinity.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:31 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Old 07-08-2017, 05:03 PM
KevenC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there musicmanray, just wondering if you got your trailer yet and if so how do you like it,and how does it pull down the road?I'm lookig at getting the same trailer and any info would be greatly appreciated-- Thanks