Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Not many Softail Custom Trikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 06:47 AM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Not many Softail Custom Trikes

Not many or near none that I have seen. So I'm guessing most guys move to a Trike more because of age than for injury. Everytime I stop somewhere people are asking me what is it and who makes it.
But my real question is why do people wait until they get old or have an injury to ride one of these. Mine is as much or more fun to ride than it was as a 2 wheeler maybe more fun now.

Attached Thumbnails Not many Softail Custom Trikes-cloudtrik.png   Not many Softail Custom Trikes-redtrike12.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:34 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgee10
Not many or near none that I have seen. So I'm guessing most guys move to a Trike more because of age than for injury. Everytime I stop somewhere people are asking me what is it and who makes it.
But my real question is why do people wait until they get old or have an injury to ride one of these. Mine is as much or more fun to ride than it was as a 2 wheeler maybe more fun now.
That is a good question. I think a lot of it is most people haven't ridden one, or if they have it might have been a bigger heavier trike that didn't appeal to them. I personally never remotely considered a trike until my wife bought a 2005 Sportster 883 with a Frankenstein kit and I found myself liking the trike feel. For others they will miss leaning into curves. Once I experienced the trike feel I became hooked and preferred it over 2 wheels. I'm sure I'm a minority though who went to 3 wheels out of desire over necessity.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I've listened to way to much negative stuff about riding a trike from people that have never so much as sat on one much less ridden one. They think they know all about them too. "They don't corner well" or "they're to slow" and BS like that from someone that doesn't know the first thing about riding one. They also like to tell you they wouldn't like them because they like to lean into the curves when they have no idea what the sensation is like to hang onto a trike in a fast curve. They think riding a trike is like driving a car but with only 3 wheels and they are to young for that. Oh well. it's there loss not mine if they don't give it a fair shot and I like riding them so that's all that matters.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I saw a really sweet evo softail trike the other day. Some chick owns it. They are out there.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

They don't corner well" or "they're to slow" and BS like that from someone that doesn't know the first thing about riding on"

That is the what most think, but is definitely not accurate. I can corner much faster now then when before I added the kit.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:21 AM
mcgee10
Tourer

NCBANDIT you were sure right on the people coming over to me when I stop some where. I get questions like What is that? Who make's it? Where did you get it from? And how does it steer?
The more I ride it the more I have grown to loving it. My ridding buddy at first said he would never do it to his bike and now every ride we take he wants to ride my trike more and more, I had to tell him no more. You know how I did this give them a call and get the kit started. I am still not sure on the triple tree thing my bike turns so well now I can't see that getting any better.
Did you remove your jiffy stand, I took mine off last night. Can't hardly wait until Saturday to ride it some more .

Old 07-20-2017, 12:46 AM
MRMRI
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Fatboy with DNA trike conversion. Like it way more than 2 wheels.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:46 AM
mcgee10
Tourer

I made my monster in May and have since put 3800 miles on it. I can't stay off it, I ride it everyday. I never rode it this often when it was a 2 wheeler. After learning how to really ride a trike this has just become too much fun to ride. Friends of mine that had never ridden one before have all changed there minds.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:01 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

If I ever went that way I'd have to come up with a better looking back end. I don't love all the usual body work on a trike and leaving the rear fender and struts on there makes the whole trike thing look like an unfinished after thought. I'd want it more open and mechanical looking. I'd probably mount a 5 or 6 gal. spun aluminum gas tank in the back and make a storage compartment out of the regular gas tank.

Last edited by Hey Man; 07-20-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:14 AM
mcgee10
Tourer

Then this kit is not for you. We like this kit for that reason it keeps our bikes with near the same look as before. In 3 hours my bike can be back to a 2 wheeler. The biggest plus was weight it only weighs 80lbs more than it did stock. If you look at the Facebook Frankenstein trike page they have pictures in 5 albums of our trikes and none of them look alike.

Last edited by mcgee10; 07-21-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Not many Softail Custom Trikes