Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trike coversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Shane Travis
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trike coversion

I own a 2007 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I am 69 and have broken my back 3 times. I am too weak on my left leg to hold up my bike. I am con sidering a trike conversion. A few questions. I love the twisties. I am concerned about the suspension. Will I still be able to enjoy mountain riding as I use to? Will I be able to keep my saddlebags and rear storage box? Will I be able to keep my stock passenger seat? Can I make the conversion or will I need to have an Hd shop perform the work.

That is all for now. I look forward to your response.

John Martin

559- 514- 1166
jpmartinjr@sbcglobal.net

w

Last edited by sloufoot; 05-18-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:01 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Take a look around, but here is a link to the Champion website:

http://www.championtrikes.net/

It looks like for a solid axle conversion it's about $7600, a thousand more for independent rear suspension. Plus another two to four grand for painting, wheels, maybe a rake kit. Anther grand for reverse and who knows what else you might as well add while you're at it. If you're really good with a wrench it would be do-able, but a lot of work, I'd consider it a pretty major project.

No, the saddlebags won't have anywhere to mount, but the storage box (Tour pack?) should be able to be used. I'm not sure about the seat, some of the others more familiar with conversions should pop in here eventually. They look the same.

Here's the Lehman site. http://www.lehmantrikes.com/products/harley-davidson

Roadsmith. http://www.trikeshop.com/trikes/hdst-v/

Frankenstein. http://www.frankensteintrikes.com/

There are some more, Google trike conversion and you'll find them.

Oh, and as for the mountain rides; you'll miss leaning, but other than that? Oh, hell yes, they're still a blast!!!!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 AM
Francois.j
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have converted my 2013 Electra Glide Ultra Limited into a trike during January 2016. It is a blast, even in the twisties! I got use to the different riding style in no time!

Old 05-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Conversions are a personal choice, I prefer the California Side Car Daytona model, some will like Hannigan or Champion, DFT, or one of the many others. Final cost if you get most of the goodies, about 12 to 15 grand...you could look for a used one and trade

Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 PM
TxHogger
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should look at the tilting motor works conversion. It replaces the front end with a bolt on front end with 2 wheels up front. One of my hog chapter members just got his and it's sweet. It'd be my choice over a triglide anyday...

Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

I'd suggest renting a TriGlide fir a weekend to get the feel and decide if you like it.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:30 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane Travis
I own a 2007 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I am 69 and have broken my back 3 times. I am too weak on my left leg to hold up my bike. I am con sidering a trike conversion. A few questions. I love the twisties. I am concerned about the suspension. Will I still be able to enjoy mountain riding as I use to? Will I be able to keep my saddlebags and rear storage box? Will I be able to keep my stock passenger seat? Can I make the conversion or will I need to have an Hd shop perform the work.

That is all for now. I look forward to your response.

John Martin

559- 514- 1166
jpmartinjr@sbcglobal.net

w
You will enjoy mountain riding but it's not the same experience as on 2 wheels. It isn't any less enjoyable, just different. Depending on what conversion you get, your bags and storage bags can stay. Again, depending on the conversion you go with the bags may go. A full body conversion and the bags go, BUT, the trunk you get will hold more than the bags ever did. The stock seat will stay. Some conversions you can do yourself providing you have tools and everything else necessary to do it....like maybe a lift table. Some must be dealer installed. A HD shop would be about my last choice for the conversion unless they sold whatever make you end up getting. My final suggestions. First, seriously consider reverse and a raked tree. Most manufacturers offer them and as for the reverse, get mechanical. Next, think about the suspension. Solid or IRS? I love the IRS on my Champion and I rode several solids before getting my conversion. Tri Glides are solid. Some manufacturers like Lehman offer both, but as I said, I'd get the IRS every time. Your choice though. Most manufacturers do have IRS. Last, stick with a well known make that has a dealer somewhere within a reasonable distance from wherever you live. Conversions from major manufacturers require very little maintenance or repair but you don't want to travel a million miles just in case something serious does go wrong. I've had mine for about 4 years now and nothing has gone wrong. My neighbor has had his for about 8 years and he has never returned to the dealer for anything either. Mine is a Champion and his is a Roadsmith. Good luck with whatever you decide on. You'll love it. It's different from 2 wheels but just as much fun and just as enjoyable.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:29 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

i looked at dft road smith and csc, was leaning csc. then i checked out the dealers in the area. road smith had a ok dealer in my area and he is priced way better than the other dealers. prices for the install can be crazy.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:31 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

if u convert an 07 lowering the gearing is a must.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:29 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
i looked at dft road smith and csc, was leaning csc. then i checked out the dealers in the area. road smith had a ok dealer in my area and he is priced way better than the other dealers. prices for the install can be crazy.
The Roadsmith is a really nice trike. One thing I don't like that they offer is the electrical reverse. Mechanical every time for me. When I was shopping I too liked the CSC but I just couldn't get past the length of it. The passenger seat is in front of the rear wheels and that just didn't look right to me. The length adds to the riding comfort, but I couldn't get past the look of it. It amazes me how much a inch or two in length changes the look of a trike. The CSC has one huge trunk though. I think it's something like a little over 6 cubic feet. I think a lot of guys don't realize that a full body trike with a trunk and tour pack has more storage capacity than a Ultra with tour pack and bags. To me, that's a big deal if you tour at all.

Quick Reply: Trike coversion