Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

The Wide Glide Frankenstein Trike Conversion Has Begun...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:08 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey Tin,

I agree on the side license plate. My Slim had one also and I relocated it to under the fender to give it a more symmetrical look.

It is already one of the best looking trikes I have seen, can't wait for the new front wheel and rear fenders.

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (05-12-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 08:16 PM
stewbeezer
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is one type of taillight/license plate mount:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tri-Bar-Fen...laemSY&vxp=mtr

Old 05-07-2018, 09:14 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default frankenstein on a dyna

To Tin Cup
Firstly let me explain. I am not trying to put you down and I am not telling you any thing mean. I am trying to protect you and I mean this with all respect
I think IMO that Frankenstein builds the best trike rear end on the market however it should not be put on a dyna in my opinion. When you look at the way the swing arm mounts on the dyna the only thing holding it on is the transmission which is just a small piece of aluminum bracket. The dyna has no frame that the swing arm goes through to help support it. The motor is also rubber mounted. When you hit a bump with one wheel that wheel will bounce up putting great stress on the transmission bracket and eventually it will break and the rear end will fall off. Take a close look and you will see I am telling the truth. The Frankenstein rear end is great on a softail, a sportster and on a touring bike as the swing arm bolt firstly goes through the frame then the transmission and then again through the frame. As I said I am only trying to stop you from getting hurt or worse. I mean no disrespect to you or to Frankenstein. Please take a close look at how the rear end is mounted. I had a 1999 dyna that was a great bike and I fully intended to trike it but after many phone calls, inquires and talking to many trike out fits I decided to get rid of the dyna solely for that purpose and bought a Freewheeler. I have also bought a sportster that I will be putting a Frankenstein kit on it. If you decide to disregard my advise I wish the best for you and hope every thing works out for you Just please check it out completely before riding on the highway

Old 05-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Show us more Tin.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:01 PM
grouchy
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Very cool, very clean looking kit.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:46 AM
grouchy
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Darryl, are you going with the raked trees or just the 2 over?

Old 05-12-2018, 10:01 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Progress update: with the conversion together I was able to decide on the Goodridge brake line and fittings I'm going to need and they're on order. ::: looking at you, Bike Bandit ::: Fenders are still at prep/paint; once the rear brake line is installed I'm going to test fit the exhaust. I'm very hopeful that I can make it work with the rear axle positioning; I may lose the billet tips but the exhaust should clear. Now, if I could just get over the flu. Every time I start to feel better it comes back again. 'Captain Trips', anyone?

Originally Posted by gerald martin
To Tin Cup
Firstly let me explain. I am not trying to put you down and I am not telling you any thing mean. I am trying to protect you and I mean this with all respect
I think IMO that Frankenstein builds the best trike rear end on the market however it should not be put on a dyna in my opinion. When you look at the way the swing arm mounts on the dyna the only thing holding it on is the transmission which is just a small piece of aluminum bracket. The dyna has no frame that the swing arm goes through to help support it. The motor is also rubber mounted. When you hit a bump with one wheel that wheel will bounce up putting great stress on the transmission bracket and eventually it will break and the rear end will fall off. Take a close look and you will see I am telling the truth. The Frankenstein rear end is great on a softail, a sportster and on a touring bike as the swing arm bolt firstly goes through the frame then the transmission and then again through the frame. As I said I am only trying to stop you from getting hurt or worse. I mean no disrespect to you or to Frankenstein. Please take a close look at how the rear end is mounted. I had a 1999 dyna that was a great bike and I fully intended to trike it but after many phone calls, inquires and talking to many trike out fits I decided to get rid of the dyna solely for that purpose and bought a Freewheeler. I have also bought a sportster that I will be putting a Frankenstein kit on it. If you decide to disregard my advise I wish the best for you and hope every thing works out for you Just please check it out completely before riding on the highway

I appreciate your thoughts on this. This was a part of my thought process through last fall and this winter before I ordered the Frankenstein kit. As you well know, the Dyna is a unique animal. With the Dyna you have to think in different terms. The front wheel, forks, fuel tank, and frame are the rolling chassis; the engine, primary, transmission, exhaust, rear fork, and rear wheel(s) are riding on the isolators with a top stabilizer. Acceleration and braking forces try to push and pull the engine/primary/transmission/rear assembly in the frame through the mounts and engine torque tries to pitch it up and down at the front. The rear shocks exert a constant rearward pull on the mounts due to their angle; basically, the mounts are a knife edge and rely 100% on the top stabilizer for vertical alignment.

The vehicle/engine alignment is critical on the Dyna; and now as a trike, it's going to be even more critical; vertical alignment as to be exact. You are correct on the mounting of the rear fork; on later model Dyna's the rear fork uses a spacer and a dust cover on the right side, and a press fit pivot bearing and an interference fit spacer on the left side. The hollow pivot shaft rides in the transmission boss making the entire rear assembly a part of the isolator/mount system.

My plan is to verify alignment before this bike even sees first light. I know she was in perfect alignment previously but with changes this dramatic, 'trust but verify'. I have replaced the front and rear mounts with aftermarket and use a solid top stabilizer with a proper turnbuckle for accurate 0.00 vertical alignment, measured at the rear brake rotor. Would it be possible to overload that transmission boss? I don't know; the left side rear fork pivot bearing takes the brunt of the load and it is a wear item, ignored by many Dyna owners. I've replaced my pivot bearing in my old rear fork and when I removed the old fork to install the new fork that bearing was showing wear so that will require an accelerated replacement schedule. I ::: think ::: I can finesse that new rear fork out without disturbing the rear axle assembly by having her rear wheels on the ground and the bike supported with a platform scissor lift.

This wasn't a simple bolt on piece of bling, this is a major change and I am out in the tall grass doing something most don't do, and using a Wide Glide to do it. I will be taking it slow and easy when the bike does finally hit the road checking for any stability or handling issues. A Softail or a Sportster may have perhaps been a more appropriate candidate to trike out; the Dyna brings added challenges both during the conversion process and then later on, but honestly, I wanted to use my Wide Glide. I believe that with proper maintenance this is going to be one uncommonly seen ride

Edited to add:

Originally Posted by grouchy
Darryl, are you going with the raked trees or just the 2 over?
Going to start out with the stock Wide Glide trees at first. With the fork tubes, I've currently got them a +3" over Wide Glide but I can change that length should I find the longer tubes have gone too far. Bikes/trikes with more trail are great for stability at speed but makes low speed handling 'heavier'. We shall see. That's what makes this entire thing so much fun; I don't know, but I'm certainly not afraid to find out

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 05-12-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added quote...
Old 05-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Vec
Road Master

Received 467 Likes on 263 Posts

I'm very sorry to see this happen to your Dyna, I have the same paint on mine and always look at your bike for inspiration for my next mods.... except this one.

with that being said, It's your bike and i wish you a million miles of knees in the breeze on it !

TinCupChalice (05-13-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 11:38 AM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts

By reading your reply it sounds like you have made many requires and know what you are doing. Your trike will be a great looking machine when it is finished. I know you will love riding it and also like the attention it will draw wherever you go. The reason I made my comment was that I have seen a dyna wide glide similar to yours that had broken the transmission mount and caused a lot of damage and I didn't want that to happen to you. So I wanted you to be sure to check ever thing out before riding. Have a great time with it and keep us posted after you have put a few thousand miles on it

TinCupChalice (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 01:57 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Tag !

TinCupChalice (05-16-2018)

Quick Reply: The Wide Glide Frankenstein Trike Conversion Has Begun...