Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Best Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 07:05 AM
Don60
Tourer
Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
I know the post is subjective, here's my story...I have a 2014 Ultra Limited, on my Bucket List is a 7000 mile trip cross-Country. I always had hopes of doing it by bike but as I (and the bike) get older I'm realizing that might not be possible so my next option is to trailer to destinations and spend some time at each, I'm allotting about 2 months for the trip. A bunch of years ago I bought new a Diamond Cargo 6'X10' but had to sell (should have kept it) to make room for another toy trailer. I towed my bike from NY to Florida, NY to Maine and it worked well. So I'm looking for a single bike trailer to make my trip. Any that I should stay away from, any that are considered the best? I'd prefer enclosed to keep spying eyes away but might consider an open trailer too. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, thank you.
I suspect you've found a trailer by now but I'll share my experience. Last year, I posed a similar question. with a similar story for transporting my Freewheeler. Cost and space were my biggest challenges. A big box trailer would serve a lot of wants, but no convenient place to keep it. Online I found a person within 100mi. who builds trailers as a side hustle. I drove out and looked at a couple of samples of his work and discussed my specific needs. He had ideas and knowledge that I didn't and I ended up having him build me a trailer that exceeded my plans for considerably less money than I expected to pay. The trailer is a 6',X10' flat deck with a full width ramp tailgate and a 4" dropped 3klb axle. I park it in my garage and drive my trike directly on and off after every outing. As mentioned before, it makes safety checks and servicing much easier. FWIW - I am very happy with my trailer and I couldn't have done better within my price range. There is risk and wait time when creating a "homemade" trailer but with some diligence and luck, you can have the best trailer for you.

The following users liked this post:
IUOE ROB (05-01-2024)