Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Easier clutch pull for TriGlide?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:00 PM
blade76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easier clutch pull for TriGlide?

My wife will be riding her 2010 TG before too long (unfortunately it currently sits in the garage while her collarbone heals!). She's left handed, so that helps, but she is a petite lady and I am wondering about the clutch pull. I rode about 90 miles and it is a good bit stronger than my '09 Heritage clutch pull, although for me it wouldn't be a problem. Anyone hear of an easy pull alternative to the stock clutch. I realize its a 103 with a lot more weight to pull compared to my Heritage, but I was just curious whether anyone else has heard anything or given any thought to the clutch pull. I really don't know yet whether she will think it's an issue, but I could see a problem for her wearing out in stop and go traffic.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

aftermarket push button electric shift. don't remember the brand, but saw it at sturgis.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kliktronic and pingel both make elecytic shifters, both of which require the use of the clutch for taking off and sitting in traffic while in gear.

grimm

Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

I have small hands and the clutch was hard for me. I did get used to it, but just couldn't hold it at lights for a long time without feeling the pain of arthritis kicking up. Even hubby had a hard time when he rode it at Daytona Bike week with all the stop and go. In fact, he is the one that went to every vendor inquiring about what could be done. I did find out eventually about Variable Pressure CLutch and ordered one. It reduces the pull about 20% and I am happy with it. Mr. Wizzard here on the forum knows where to get them.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
I have small hands and the clutch was hard for me. I did get used to it, but just couldn't hold it at lights for a long time without feeling the pain of arthritis kicking up. Even hubby had a hard time when he rode it at Daytona Bike week with all the stop and go. In fact, he is the one that went to every vendor inquiring about what could be done. I did find out eventually about Variable Pressure CLutch and ordered one. It reduces the pull about 20% and I am happy with it. Mr. Wizzard here on the forum knows where to get them.
Yup.. a VPC would help a lot with the clutch pull weight reduction plus give you a few added bonus... positive lock up of your clutch, reduce slippage and increase the life span of your clutch pack. It is also guaranteed to reduce the weight of your pocket book just a bit. Shop around for the best pricing.

Depending on which one you get could reduce your lever pull from 20 to 40%. This is also dependent on which spring set up and motor you have now. There are only three to choose from and it's easy to use the factory chart to pick the right one for your combination.

A stock clutch set up pushes the clutch spring from the outer edges of the spring. A VPC will push the spring from the inner edges where there is more leverage thus an easier pull on your clutch lever. This is shown on their web site. By using centrifugal force, the VPC will increase your clutch lock up force by about 40% within the higher RPM ranges. A VPC will also make it easier to find that illusive neutral light.

Here is the web site. The VP84T, Up To 103" motor, is what the majority of us have already installed and can be easily done at home directly though the derby cover with no fluid loss.

Personally I have a SE spring installed and the lever was fairly heavy, about 40 pounds of pull, but after installing the VPC it is back to a normal pull weight now. I couldn't imagine the pull if I didn't have the SE spring in there too. Would be like grabbing air. Next time I break down my primary I will remove the SE spring.. don't need it with a VPC.

Cheers

Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
IHP...was wondering how the VPC was working for you. I haven't done mine yet, will wait until after my Colorado trip.

(Awhile back I mentioned 'easy grip' clutch/brake levers....well, tried to pull in clutch, had to use both hands and still wouldn't engage. Back to the dealer for refund and had my stock levers put back on yesterday....$$ grrrr.)

Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

I like the clutch! I have no problems at all. Like I said it is about a 20% easier pull and actually seems to get easier with use. I did have to have it adjusted because the engagement point was too far out, but that was an easy fix and only took a minute to do.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Easyboy Lite (White Bros.) on my '05 Road Glide clutch cable actuator several years back and it has worked like a charm. But it works in a different manner and I don't know if it applies to the newer models. It was also a bit more complicated to install though. Had to drain trans oil, remove housing, and install new gasket.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A VPC is the way to go for several reasons.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:57 AM
triked
Banned
Default VPC CLutch

Did anyone that installed the VPC clutch have to change out the clutch levers? Would this also help lessen the pull? I have carpel, arthritis and small hands. these issues make really uncomfortable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Easier clutch pull for TriGlide?