Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

blue gold colored pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
hd74inca
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue gold colored pipes

hello,

have noticed my pipes are turning a blue gold color up by where they go into the cylinders. on the older bikes this was a sign of a lean condition and i am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? the trike is stock for now but i intend on having the stage 1 installed at the 1k service.

david
socal

Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by hd74inca
hello,

have noticed my pipes are turning a blue gold color up by where they go into the cylinders. on the older bikes this was a sign of a lean condition and i am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? the trike is stock for now but i intend on having the stage 1 installed at the 1k service.

david
socal
Same, same David.. too lean = too hot = blue head pipes

Note: even with a proper tune you can't keep stock head pipes from turning color but they will turn color faster and further down the pipe when you are lean. Some mufflers will turn blue at the front exhaust neck especially if the baffle or baffle wrapping material is removed.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Can ya Dyno this trike?
White plugs also an indication of too lean......Black too rich.......

Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the perils of riding the thing! If you want it to be showroom pretty, don't start it, just stare at it. If you are a rider,as it appears that you are, then just accept it. I don't care what you do, you can't keep them completely shiny unless you don't ride them. Which do you want, pretty or wind in your face?????????????

Don't want to sound like some jerk but you can't have it both ways. When you build a fire in it, it is going to cause some bluing.

Ride it like you stole it and have fun--too hell with the ones that only want "pretty".

Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 AM
hd74inca
Cruiser

pretty has really never been an issue with me. road an old beat up 74" for a number of years. i am concerned about how hot this trike may be running and will discuss this with the tech at the 1k service.

with the 74 inch i could beat the hell out of it and still run, had the normal issues that were expected with the AMF bikes but did like the thing.

really like this trike now that i am older and wiser and just wanting it to be fine after dropping 34k on the thing.

will get the stage 1 and ECM download at the 1k service and from what i read this should help with the heat issues.

thanks,
david
socal

Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Cool On the right track

pretty has really never been an issue with me. road an old beat up 74" for a number of years. i am concerned about how hot this trike may be running and will discuss this with the tech at the 1k service.

with the 74 inch i could beat the hell out of it and still run, had the normal issues that were expected with the AMF bikes but did like the thing.

really like this trike now that i am older and wiser and just wanting it to be fine after dropping 34k on the thing.

will get the stage 1 and ECM download at the 1k service and from what i read this should help with the heat issues.

thanks,
david
socal
Do you have an 09 or a 2010? We have several 2010 Tri's and Ultra Classic owners complaining about the heat. Not so much the 09's. They were leaned out by Harley to appease the EPA then in 2010 Models they stuffed the headpipe with a catalytic Converter. That cat is holding in/back heat and making a lean condition even worse. I believe just a tune for an 09 will help cool it down unless you want the slipons and Stage I for a little extra kick then that would cool it down also with a good map and tune. FuelMoto is coming out in Oct. with a catless headpipe for the 2010's, someone will post after the switch and we can see how much this does for the cool down.

I am not sure how much benefit we will get from a Stage I with a Cat, will have to ask a CVO guy I guess they have had them for awhile, plus the Cali bikes. They seem to be fairly free flowing pipes on the 2010's but some guys are reporting them glowing at night from the heat. Big discussion on another forum weather to lose the cat or not.

I love the old school post on reading the plugs, right on the money. Pull that rear cylinder plug and see if the center ceramic on the electrode is chalky white, brownish, or black sooty. After the tune if the chalky white turns to a redish brown you have it dialed it. A good cool AFR. I installed a Jag 10 row oil cooler and a Lenale fan until I get the catless pipe or gut the original. This won't help with discolored pipes but trying to do some bandaid stuff until I get the fix put on it.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 PM
hd74inca
Cruiser

i have an 09. so am i to assume there is no cat on the bike, i live in socal?

david
socal

Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer

thanks,
david
socal

Don't blame you for wanting to protect your investment. We have 34K in a '01 Fatboy with a DFT kit on it. Hope everyone gets the heat issue handled soon. Enjoy the trike, we do!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 PM
lnrider
Cruiser

Get it tuned; both fuel and timing (map).
If you really feel you need to correct the discoloration, try "blue job," or, if you really can't stand the bluing, either wrap your pipes or try ceramic coating or jet coating.
All in all though, I agree with Kentuckydave; ' just ride it.'

Better a dirty day on the road, than a clean day in the garage,
roll on
-l

Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
I am not sure how much benefit we will get from a Stage I with a Cat, will have to ask a CVO guy I guess they have had them for awhile, plus the Cali bikes. They seem to be fairly free flowing pipes on the 2010's but some guys are reporting them glowing at night from the heat. Big discussion on another forum weather to lose the cat or not.
Msocko3 had the Stage 1 done on his 2010 TG and it still is extremely hot. When I rode it, it was extremely painfull on my right leg.
The stage 1 may help but it is by no means a fix.

Quick Reply: blue gold colored pipes