Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

OMG -what have I gotten myself into...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Splais1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG -what have I gotten myself into...

...so a couple of weeks ago had a chance to pick up a 2003 Sportster 100th Anniversary Edition XLH883 from a guy who was desparate. So I got my first harley after wanting one for 40 years. Love it! So now I have a chance to trade a bass boat for a tricked out to the max 2005 Heritage softtail. Met the guy half way and brought the bike home in a trailer tonight. Took one ride around the block and said OMG what have I done - love it too.

But the sportster and the heritage are two completely different bikes; like comparing apples and oranges - or maybe a Lincoln town car with a corvette. Well I intended to sell the bike I didn't like so. but now I love them both ad would use them for completely different types of riding. So how many of you ended up in the same pickle?

Attached Thumbnails OMG -what have I gotten myself into...-dsc01312.jpg   OMG -what have I gotten myself into...-dsc01329.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Ride both,enough to know which bike you would rather have,sell the other one.Now,,,if at all possible,keep both.You would get the best of both worlds a nice little bar hopper,and larger bike to go on long distance trips.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:33 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Ride both,enough to know which bike you would rather have,sell the other one.Now,,,if at all possible,keep both.You would get the best of both worlds a nice little bar hopper,and larger bike to go on long distance trips.
Good advise, and if I were you I would add a big bore kit for the Sporty to your Christmas wish list.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just take that sporty out for a long ride

and the choice of what to do will be easy. If all you want is a bike to drive to the supermarket then it's a nice bike, but anything longer and you'll lose the feelings in your hands in about 20 minutes.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 AM
Takedown
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a 2003 Sporty. It was the last year of the solid mounted motor. I loved the bike for short little hops but if you plan to ride any distance you will want to do it on that Heritage.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Congrats on the new Bikes. I have 2 bikes
Always Ride like everyone is trying to KILL you. Why? because they are...

Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 AM
artz
Road Master

Lucky dog ! Thats what I want. One bike for trips and one for jetting around town.
Congrats !

Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 AM
dano309
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

now, go get that ultra glide & your smile will get wider..........lol

Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 AM
ThrusterK
Cruiser

You must keep them both.. You can't have a Harley collection with just one bike !!!!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:11 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Splais1
But the sportster and the heritage are two completely different bikes; like comparing apples and oranges - or maybe a Lincoln town car with a corvette. Well I intended to sell the bike I didn't like so. but now I love them both ad would use them for completely different types of riding. So how many of you ended up in the same pickle?
If I could afford it, I'd keep both. I want a softail too, but I hope I can afford to keep my sportster for riding around town and to work (about 3 miles). A lot of people have more than one HD. BUT if I could have only one, it would be the softail.

Quick Reply: OMG -what have I gotten myself into...