Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer disconnected from bike at 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM
800XC SP
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trailer disconnected from bike at 60 mph

Heading down the highway at 60 mph & my trailer disconnects from my bike. Trailer stayed nice & straight behind the bike, the tongue dragging on the asphalt. Got pulled off to the side to see what the heck happened.

I bought a ball where the bolt screws into the ball from the bottom (see 1st pic below) the bolt had loosened up & just fell out. Here's the kicker, checked it 40 miles prior & all was o.k. When I installed the ball I used locktite, lock washer it came with, put it into a vice & cranked it down with all 190 pounds of me, almost tipped my work bench over. Had a buddy over watching & he said "That ain't ever comin off."

I have switched out the ball to the type as in the second pic below, in addition drilled a hole at the bottom of the threads & put a cotter pin through below the nut so if the nut ever loosens up the ball won't come off.

Couple things I thought about since then;
1. I was extremely lucky
2. Not as comfortable pulling my trailer as I was prior
3. Should I change out my trailer safety chain hooks to something weaker (ones it came with are bigger than I had on my 26 ft enclosed trailer) that would bend & not hold if the trailer disconnects & hits something substantial so I don't get wiped out? Keep in mind that my wife has her own bike & typically follows me, I don't want her getting wrecked either.
Running with no chains is not an option for me, I'm not going to be responsible for it free wheeling down the highway & taking out a bus load of nuns or something.
4. I keep a wrench handy & everytime I stop for gas I check to make sure it hasn't loosened up.

I'm interested in your thoughts concerning #3 above, I don't do things half a$$, this happening has totally taken me by surprise & has me a little apprehensive about pulling the trailer.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer disconnected from bike at 60 mph-ball.jpg   Trailer disconnected from bike at 60 mph-unnamed-1-.jpg  
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 606 Likes on 328 Posts

Wow ...you were very lucky to say the least..I would definitely go with chains and make sure you criss cross them..Since the trailer has already come unhooked hopefully and odds are you will never have that happen again..

Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 424 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't think you'll have any issues with the new ball. Especially since you've got the cotter pin as back up.

Bubba

Last edited by Bubba49; 09-03-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I always criss cross the chains when I pull a trailor I don't pull one behind my trike but do pull a utility trailor. I do not want it to come unhitched but do want the chains to hold and the trailor to stay behind. I DO NOT want it to break away and hit someone else.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 09-03-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Stuff like that will make your paranoid. I know...I have lost two, but never off a scooter. I lost one that past me one day and I got out in front to warn the oncoming traffic away until it coasted to a stop. Then I installed safety chains and the next time I lost it, the chains kept it from passing me but the load was so heavy the entire rig threw me and my jeep around like a rag doll and I wound-up in a ditch.

I stopped pulling trailers for years until I came to reality and admitted my stupidity in both cases.

The cotter pin is your security blanket, but I would consider just welding the blame thing on to the draw-bar.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Stuff like that will make your paranoid. I know...I have lost two, but never off a scooter. I lost one that past me one day and I got out in front to warn the oncoming traffic away until it coasted to a stop. Then I installed safety chains and the next time I lost it, the chains kept it from passing me but the load was so heavy the entire rig threw me and my jeep around like a rag doll and I wound-up in a ditch.

I stopped pulling trailers for years until I came to reality and admitted my stupidity in both cases.

The cotter pin is your security blanket, but I would consider just welding the blame thing on to the draw-bar.
I pull trailers all the time VT including a 9000lb freezer trailer. Haven't had the pleasure of loosing one or having to clean my diaper yet, knock on wood. We do cross our chains (DOT regs now) but we also twist them where if the trailer pops off then the chains are short enough to keep the tongue from dragging.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Road Warrior

I don't worry so much now that I have learned my lessons and make sure I have a good hitch and everything is "wired-up tight". I will admit to occasional panic when I glance in the rear-view mirror and don't see it. I had an old timer tell me to put a flag pole on it so I could keep track of it. I wanted to fly my polka-dot underwear, but the wife was dead set against that, so I never mounted a flag pole. A Jolly Roger may be a good choice, but I am sure some gang would be after me for flying their colors...I just dropped the entire idea of a flag and told my wife she was in charge of making sure we still had it since it contains all of her junk.

Last edited by 0734; 09-03-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A definite criss-cross the chains. And test it so the tounge settles on the chains before hitting pavement. As far as no chain; bad idea for all concerned. Often when trailers become unhooked they actually speed up and pass the towing vehicle, something to do with mass, drag and momentum.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Road Warrior

Mass....drag and momentum...yes. And don't forget to mention the part about it scaring your a!! off as it passes you on the left either.

You can start to visualize...law suits, lawyers, how many people am I going to kill and how you are going to get past all this under your current insurance plan. Like, what is my deductible, what is my liability limit....did I remember to actually renew my policy.

All these thoughts arise the very instant you see some strange vehicle pass you and then recognize it as yours.....and NOBODY is driving it!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in a trucking world you'd lose your job over something like that and it would go on your record!

I'm amazed it all ended safely for you.

Quick Reply: Trailer disconnected from bike at 60 mph