Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

ElectraGlide conversion - Champion's E-Z Steer Kit - outstanding product/engineering!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ElectraGlide conversion - Champion's E-Z Steer Kit - outstanding product/engineering!

My riding buddy of three decades recently decided to 'Trike' one of his three Harley's due to age (70 yrs. young) and diminishing confidence in riding two-up.
Since the 'used' market for Harley trikes didn't offer what we desired, I spend two weeks comparing the major Trike conversion manufacturers, deciding on Champion.

I ordered the Champion kit for his 2009 FLHTC last week -
http://www.championsidecars.com/prod...D=1&itemID=330
w/ full independent suspension, side accent panels, matching paint and pinstriping (I had considered painting everything myself, but their price for complete paint/pinstripe and clearcoat was too attractive), and most importantly their E-Z Steer kit.
In speaking with local Trike owners (and some dealers) this 5 degree front-end rake is a highly desirable feature.

The carriage will be shipped in August, though we did request for the E-Z Steer kit immediately. We received it last Thursday, planning the install over the weekend in my garage.

Well, the front-end modification was completed last night (Sunday) Eighteen hours - full disassembly, modification and re-assembly. I'm sure it may have been done quicker, had I not screwed-up the tumbler configuration of the ignition switch (which the local H/D corrected for free!) and not purchasing the necessary bearing race removal tool.

I must say, the overall quality and engineering of Champion's EZ-Steer product is absolutely outstanding! Everything fit perfectly. The CNC machine work of the triple trees is a thing of beauty!
If I was to have any criticism - some typo's in part identification within the two-page instructional sheet. Maybe some pictures too, however, I realize these kits are intended for their authorized dealers who have extensive knowledge with their product.

Now looking forward to August for the body/side panel install.

Sorry about not posting pictures; too caught up (and greasy) with the install.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 30t

I'm betting you have already thought of this but it would be a good time while the bike is down for the kit to install a 30T primary pulley. The 09 bike should be a 32 if it has not been changed. A lot of the Tri Glide owners, 09 and 2010 models have had to change to the 30T. HD went with the 30T on the 11 models.

I'm guessing that with the extra weight the 30T will put a smile on your friends face and you will not have to go back into it later on for the install! 6th gear is useless on the 09 Tri Glides and your have to use a lot of clutch somtimes when they are hot. Mine is spot on now since the gear change, can run 50 and 55 in 6th gear and it comes off the line like it should now. Before I did not even think of using 6th until around 70 or 75.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Nickrc3
Road Captain

I'm betting you have already thought of this but it would be a good time while the bike is down for the kit to install a 30T primary pulley
I've heard of this upgrade, though haven't inquired much about it. I'll contact Champion and get their opinions also.

Thanks Coupe55.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 PM
shezaharley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nickrc3
I've heard of this upgrade, though haven't inquired much about it. I'll contact Champion and get their opinions also.

Thanks Coupe55.

Nickrc3,

I'd be interested to hear what they have to say, if you wouldn't mind posting it here afterwards.

Thx.

Liz

Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default 30T Primary Pulley

After Triking the FLHTC she is going to be a heavy lady! It will probably be more like when than if the girl gets the 30T but it will be interesting to see what Champion recommends!

You do not have to change the belt on a bike when you do the change over, better check on the belt if they are not using the OEM belt original to the 09 FLHTC with the kit.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain

I spoke extensively to the Technical Support rep @ Champion yesterday afternoon on this primary gear change.
My interpretation of the primary gear change was they cannot endorse this modification, as their Trike kits currently meet all C.A.R.B. standards (which I don't quite understand why emission standards would have anything to do with a Trike conversion kit). They have heard it can be beneficial with improving low-end performance, but suggested it's a customer preference. So, I guess I simply need to speak to the local Trike guy's and guy's like yourself on whether this modification is worth the added labor and expense. I don't thing my riding buddy is interested in super low-end torque/smokey burnouts.

My second concern with Tech Support was the torque rating applied to the E-Z Steer stem nut. Applying the recommended 35 Ft. Lbs. of torque to the stem nut eliminates any 'fall-away' with the forks. This generally isn't desirable, but Champion reassured me that the torque rating and present condition of no 'free' movement is how the E-Z Seer kit is designed.

Coupe55 - do you have the E-Z Steer option? With your Trike elevated, does 'fall-away' exist?

If possible, please describe in detail (PM if necessary) the primary gear mod, who manufactures it, installs it, cost, etc. Also describe handling charactistics and any any other aspect of this conversion I should be aware of.

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default 30T Upgrade

Originally Posted by Nickrc3
I spoke extensively to the Technical Support rep @ Champion yesterday afternoon on this primary gear change.
My interpretation of the primary gear change was they cannot endorse this modification, as their Trike kits currently meet all C.A.R.B. standards (which I don't quite understand why emission standards would have anything to do with a Trike conversion kit). They have heard it can be beneficial with improving low-end performance, but suggested it's a customer preference. So, I guess I simply need to speak to the local Trike guy's and guy's like yourself on whether this modification is worth the added labor and expense. I don't thing my riding buddy is interested in super low-end torque/smokey burnouts.

My second concern with Tech Support was the torque rating applied to the E-Z Steer stem nut. Applying the recommended 35 Ft. Lbs. of torque to the stem nut eliminates any 'fall-away' with the forks. This generally isn't desirable, but Champion reassured me that the torque rating and present condition of no 'free' movement is how the E-Z Seer kit is designed.

Coupe55 - do you have the E-Z Steer option? With your Trike elevated, does 'fall-away' exist?

If possible, please describe in detail (PM if necessary) the primary gear mod, who manufactures it, installs it, cost, etc. Also describe handling charactistics and any any other aspect of this conversion I should be aware of.

Thanks.
I have the factory HD Tri Glide but because of some inherent problems with the factory trike I can't reccoment it to my friends. Most are doing what I should have done, find a low milage pre 07 Harley and trike it out. The 09 and 2010 Tri Glide come out with the 32T primary and are dogs in 6th gear and you have to use a lot of clutch sometimes when they are hot. Not interested at all in burn outs or tons of low end torque but was interested in getting a usable 6th gear. I live in a rural area and with the 32T pulley 6th gear was useless. I had to be on the freeway and around 70 MPH before I could actually use it. Now I can cruise around from around 50 to 55 mph in 6th. I come off the line better when the Tri is running on the hot side and most tend to do.
Not a hot rod option but for a usable 6th gear. Harley knew they had not got the gearing right so they come out with the 30T on the 2011 model Tri Glides. I fear the 09 FLHTC after it gains some weight will be in the same catagory as the 09-10's Tri glides. The 30T will have nothing to do with EPA emission standards and I really don't see a big increase in fuel consumption. I also have the 103 engine on the Tri Glide for some extra torque, does the 09 FLHTC have the 95 or the 103.

Just sayin, when the girl gains the weight it may be a little more sluggish with the 32T OEM. If you decide you have to do the change over as a lot of the 09 and 10 Tri Glide owners are doing, better to do it while you are already tore down for the Champion Kit. Check the gearing on the 09 FLHTC, it may already have the 30T pulley on it! However if it is the 95 and has the 32T pulley your friend may not be a happy camper with the weight gain, I am betting performance wise the top end 6th gear will be about the same as the 09 and 10 Tri's, or worse!

HD sells the 30T pulley as do several aftermarket companies! The average cost for the Pulley change has been running around $300-400 dollars at the HD dealers. A lot of the guys buy the gear for around $59 average and change it themselves, they are starting to be a back order on them on account of all the 09 and 10 Tri glide guys doing the change over.

Last edited by coupe55; 06-28-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default E-Z Steer

I almost forgot, my Trike is a Tri Glide HD factory unit, I don't have the Easy-Steer Kit! I believe HD has used the same principle to gain easier steering, "I believe they use a 3 degree rake instead of a 5" someone correct me on that if I am wrong!

That torque speck seems low to me but also I don't know what type of locking washer or devise they use. I will have to take a look at that set up. I would also recommend a steering damper, that will take some of the shock off the locking nut and reduce head shake. Personal choice, some people like em, some don't.

After thinking about the 30T you could do the build and let your friend ride it some. If it is not what he was expecting performance wise he can always do the 30T upgrade later. It has been my experience though that as in your friends case, "long term 2 wheeler man" the trike will not be as responsive as his ol two wheeler was! Most of us that complain the most about the Tri Glide are people that just come off two wheelers. Being used to more power and responsiveness it will take an adjustment period for the trike. As I said you can always just do the build and then add on the performance mods later if it feels a little lazy to him!