Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

have to trike my bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:03 PM
joelin5386
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default have to trike my bike

I have to trike my 09 Ultra Classic due to a minor stroke. My dealer is going with a Motortrike kit. Can I put a Champion reverse on this kit. and where would i get it. I have read some good things about this unit. Also do I really neee to rake the front and use the ez steer option. Thought about just getting the trike kit with reverse and a trailer hitch. Any of you other trikers got any other suggestions as to what i may need, (not want), but need.
Thanks

Old 10-06-2009, 04:23 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you lose the use of any of your extremities?

grimm

Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I am sure the reverse kit will work with any conversion kit as it bolts on the transmission. You can google-up Champion for the contact information and they are good folks to deal with. I would just go ahead and rake it right off the bat. If you have lost any strength in your arms or upper body....you will do it later anyway.I know the EZ-Steer is a good piece, but some of us have used the Tri Glide tripple trees. I can point you to an article on another thread if you want the information. Just PM me if you are curious and want to save several hundred $.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:58 PM
pork
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by joelin5386
Any of you other trikers got any other suggestions as to what i may need, (not want), but need.
Thanks
I don't believe that I would put on the reverse gear equipment just yet, if I were you, especially since you will be adding it as a separate job.

We have an 09 TriGlide which has the reverse motor, but I very seldom use it, and then only to check it out every now and then. After riding it for a few weeks, I found it very easy to avoid situations where I have to push it up a slope, just by scoping out every parking spot like I do on my bike. Actually, it is much easier on the trike than on a bike to find a parking spot that you can turn around and let the trike roll back into, leaving your front end pointed uphill. If I park on flat ground, I can push it very easily, to either get into or out of the parking spot, and I have a 29 inch inseam. So, if I were buying another trike, I don't believe I would order the reverse to begin with. If you have some riding experience, you can probably avoid the need for reverse altogether.

By the way, my wife usually rides the trike, and with a little coaching, she doesn't often use the reverse either, but she says she still likes having it, just in case.

Since you are going to be adding the reverse option as a separate work item anyway, just wait until you ride the trike a little before you spring for it.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 PM
joelin5386
Tourer

Originally Posted by grimm
did you lose the use of any of your extremities?

grimm
Got a little weakness on my left side. Doing therapy for it now

Old 10-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you considered a sidecar? Lots more usable space with a sidecar.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:58 PM
joelin5386
Tourer

Originally Posted by Paniolo
Have you considered a sidecar? Lots more usable space with a sidecar.
Thought about it, but mama said no way she is going to sit low enough that mailboxes re wizzing by her head

Old 10-06-2009, 06:59 PM
krw
Tourer

I think you will use the reverse more than you think. One of the things I like about having reverse is being able to use any parking spot. I used to pick pull thru parking spots in the past when possible. My Classic was HEAVY and I have short legs. With the Tri Glide and reverse, no problem. Enjoy your trike!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Retired Navy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '08 Ultra is in the shop being Triked right now. I went with the Champion Kit with EZ Steer and Reverse. The Champion reverse is a mechanical reverse that is essentially a "bolt on" to your existing six speed. You will be the best judge of whether you need it considering the weakness in the leg, which I hope will be a temporary inconvenience for you. As was mentioned previously you can save some money on the EZ Steer by installing trees from, I believe, a Street Glide. I'm 65 and am in pretty good shape but don't know how long that will last so I opted for the reverse and steering options. I'm gettin' antsy waiting on mine and will probably have to ride it home in the friggin' snow!!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Better to have the reverse and not use it, than to not have it and need it. I thought the same, don't need reverse....glad it came on the TG.

Quick Reply: have to trike my bike