Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

have to trike my bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 PM
pork
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krw
I think you will use the reverse more than you think. One of the things I like about having reverse is being able to use any parking spot. I used to pick pull thru parking spots in the past when possible. My Classic was HEAVY and I have short legs. With the Tri Glide and reverse, no problem. Enjoy your trike!
I think you missed the point. This fellow is obviously trying to save money by avoiding things he doesn't really need on his trike. As I mentioned, I have no problem at all parking anywhere I want without using the reverse. I bet I can park in any spot you can, without using my reverse getting in or out. It just takes a little thought, which comes easily. You like to use it because you think it is neat, but you don't need it. It is much easier on the trike to back into any downhill spot than on a bike, because all you have to do is let it roll in, and staying balanced is not an issue like it is on a bike. Conversely, you can nose into any uphill parking slot and roll backwards out of it more easily than on a bike. I mentioned this thread to my wife at supper, and she said tell the guy if she doesn't need reverse, he probably doesn't either. And she doesn't need it.

Mainly, though, why would you try to convince him to go ahead and get it rather than at least waiting until he tries the trike without it and decides for himself. It won't take long for him to figure that out. If he needs it, he can always add it just as easily and cheaply as if he puts it on before he even knows whether he needs it.

Just listening closely to the way he asked his questions.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joelin5386
Thought about it, but mama said no way she is going to sit low enough that mailboxes re wizzing by her head
Well tell Mama that she can sit behind you (just like on the trike), and all the "STUFF" she brings or buys can go in the sidecar or the trunk of the sidecar. As one sidecar owner once explained, "Now I can carry both my wife the brunette, and my girlfriend the blonde". The girlfriend was his Golden Retriever who rode in the sidecar.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 AM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pork
I think you missed the point. This fellow is obviously trying to save money by avoiding things he doesn't really need on his trike. As I mentioned, I have no problem at all parking anywhere I want without using the reverse. I bet I can park in any spot you can, without using my reverse getting in or out. It just takes a little thought, which comes easily. You like to use it because you think it is neat, but you don't need it. It is much easier on the trike to back into any downhill spot than on a bike, because all you have to do is let it roll in, and staying balanced is not an issue like it is on a bike. Conversely, you can nose into any uphill parking slot and roll backwards out of it more easily than on a bike. I mentioned this thread to my wife at supper, and she said tell the guy if she doesn't need reverse, he probably doesn't either. And she doesn't need it.

Mainly, though, why would you try to convince him to go ahead and get it rather than at least waiting until he tries the trike without it and decides for himself. It won't take long for him to figure that out. If he needs it, he can always add it just as easily and cheaply as if he puts it on before he even knows whether he needs it.

Just listening closely to the way he asked his questions.

Sounds like I hit a nerve.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

I would recommend that you demo a trike without a rake then demo a Tri-Glide or a bike with E-Z Steer, I am quite sure that the answer to your question will then be obvious to you!

As far as reverse, it is true that you don’t always need it but speaking from experience, when you do need it, it pays for it’s self.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=pork;5685499]This fellow is obviously trying to save money by avoiding things he doesn't really need on his trike. As I mentioned, I have no problem at all parking anywhere I want without using the reverse. It just takes a little thought, which comes easily. You like to use it because you think it is neat, but you don't need it. It is much easier on the trike to back into any downhill spot than on a bike, because all you have to do is let it roll in, and staying balanced is not an issue like it is on a bike. Conversely, you can nose into any uphill parking slot and roll backwards out of it more easily than on a bike. I mentioned this thread to my wife at supper, and she said tell the guy if she doesn't need reverse, he probably doesn't either. And she doesn't need it.
QUOTE]

i agree. reverse is not a necessity for me, but i haven't had a stroke, either. i have put thousands of miles on mine without it. would it be more convenient? of course, but it is definitely not a necessity for an able-bodied individual. key word being "able-bodied." if the stroke affected your ability to use your legs, then by all means, get the reverse. you might want to try using the trike without, first. you can always add reverse later.

also, there are ways to handle various disabilities and many people have overcome their own setbacks. i can get you some links to sites that specialize on adaptive equipment for disabled riders, if you like.

.....any properly built trike will have addressed the issue of front end stability, regardless of whether it's a TG or not.....

grimm

Last edited by grimm; 10-07-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
pork
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krw
Sounds like I hit a nerve.
Of course you did. Maybe you have never had to do something while watching your costs, or while dealing with a debilitating illness, but I have, and the original poster is obviously trying to do that. So, why advise him to go ahead and order the reverse without even trying to do without it? He can ride the trike around town for a couple of days like I did and determine for himself whether he needs reverse or not. I am 5'10", 195 lbs, 64 years old, and I don't need reverse at all. In fact, I find that the trike (without using reverse) is much easier to maneuver in parking lots than my Ultra Classic. Without giving forbidden stats, my wife is of a similar age, shorter than me, and quite slender, and she says she could do without the reverse. I think the original poster should give it a shot and I wish him luck.

I pretty much stopped reading the other HD forums, even though I ride an Ultra Classic, and I now usually read only the trike forum, because the posters on this forum seem to be much more mature and reasonable than what you find on the others.

This guy asked for advice with an eye toward affordability, so trying the trike without reverse is the most mature choice in the beginning. He won't pay any more for reverse if he waits until later to add it. If money were no object, sure get the reverse, get GPS, get wire wheels, get a bluetooth satellite telephone. Since money is an object in this case, he should try the trike without reverse before spending the big bucks it will cost. That's all I'm saying. If he is recovering from a stroke, he needs mature advice, not somebody trying to hop him up on the idea of getting reverse just because they like it.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:08 PM
krw
Tourer

PORK, I guess I could get in a discussion with you but it's not worth it. You are much too emotional about your point of view. I'll let the original poster figure out what he needs. Thanks for your point of view.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:21 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uh.....this is really not worth getting into it over. the guy asked for options and we are giving our opinion and what happens to work best for us. i'm sure he appreciates all the info and will decide what is best for him.

here are a couple of links that can give you an idea of what is possible for you. good luck...

http://www.mtb-amputee.com/motorcycleamputee.htm <--(awesome site with many stories and many referral sources)

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/

http://www.disabledriders.com/ <--(they have a forum for disabled riders to share their experiences and ideas)

grimm

Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said, if money is tight or your not sure if you need either the rake kit or the reverse, try it without. You can always add them later. My experience was, I tried it without, and ended up adding them both. And I'm very glad I did. Much easier to steer with raked trees and now that I have the reverse I wouldn't want to be without it. I use it all the time. If your health allows, you could always do the mods yourself and save a few bucks. Neither is that hard of a job.
Good luck, keep us posted on your trike and hope you keep getting stronger and better.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:08 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hesitate even getting involved in this but I enjoy a spirited conversation. I rode a trike without easy steer and it was very hard to steer at slow speeds around corners. I could certainly have handled it but I did not want to. The easy steer IMHO is well worth the money. Now the reverse is another story. Even though I like it and could really care less about impressing someone else with the reverse I will use it at times. If I had to do it again I probably would not get it. Since I have it I don't really pay attention on where or how I park. If the TG will drift back I will let it. I could just as easy selectively park it and never need reverse. I also still ride an 06 Ultra Classic.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 10-07-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: have to trike my bike