Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Just got back from my first pulling a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 AM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are those 8" wheels? In reading up, folks seem to think 12" wheels are a lot better.

For limited travel, does it really make much difference?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 AM
capttxrngr
Cruiser

Looking at a trailer myself for my EG. Saw a couple that only use one wheel at the rear. Seems to track better around curves and such. Ain't cheap though, close to $3000.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:00 PM
spider2
Tourer

I have a www.Piggybacker with 8 inch wheels and have never had any problems with it.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanDolfn
Are those 8" wheels? In reading up, folks seem to think 12" wheels are a lot better.

For limited travel, does it really make much difference?
8" wheels on my trailer. Over 10,000 miles. Many of those miles through rain. Never a problem.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grind
Last Spring, I picked up a Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer, when they were on sale. I added LED lights to it, but sold my Dyna before putting a hitch on it. Finally got around to getting a hitch for my Road Glide last month. After a runaround exchanging centrer sections with them, I got my rig ready to roll. I put about ten pounds, bungied down, into it. Went for about a ten mile ride. Pulls nicely, no wobbles or sways. I'm looking forward to taking my wife on some camping trips next summer.
The guy that camped next to me at the Chip this year had a Harbor Freight trailer with a Sears car top carrier. He pulled it from Knoxville to Sturgis at 70 mph pretty much the whole way with no problems at all. He added LED tail lights as well. With everything he had about $450 in it. Convinced me that the HF trailer is worthy.

Last edited by FBFletch; 01-04-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:41 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Here you go!

That's the same type trailer I bought last summer. Issue with the tail light wiring...mine was held together with electrical tape. Came loose on way to Northern Idaho...had a friend crimp wires. Also the wiring plug to trike wore thru around the weld on hitch and shorted out lights...solved w/zip tie. Put 6-ply tires on trailer and two 4-plys for spares. Neighbor gave me 4 golf cart hub caps.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Fyrefight
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanDolfn
I've been looking at a Harbor Freight trailer, too. My wife has to use a motorized scooter if she wants to move any distance. I want to go on rides to places where she'd have to walk once we get there, so I thought maybe I'd take her scooter on a trailer.

The scooter disassembles into four main pieces. The highest point is 20". I'm thinking of building a wooden box to fit the 48 x 40 trailer and 20+" high. It doesn't have to be pretty since we probably won't use it that often.

Here's the trailer. Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb...res-90153.html

If I can do this for under $500, it doesn't make sense to spend big $$ for a ready-made trailer.
I've had one of the HF 40" x 48" trailers for years that I've pulled behind my scoot. I narrowed it from 40 to 36" (looks better to me) and lengthened the tongue about 24" or so. It has pulled like a dream for the whole time.
Two things...
1. Be damned sure to square the frame up with the tongue when you put it together. Measure then measure again. The distance from axle tip to hitch should be the same on both sides.
2. Do yourself a favor and order a spare set of bearings from HF. These things are made overseas and don't utilize a standard 1" axle. I've yet been able to find bearings for them except through HF. I've even thought bout buying a standard set of axle stubs n welding them in to remedy this.

I'm currently doing a rebuld on it, so no pics atm.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Last edited by Fyrefight; 01-04-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 AM
FBFletch
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fyrefight
I've had one of the HF 40" x 48" trailers for years that I've pulled behind my scoot. I narrowed it from 40 to 36" (looks better to me) and lengthened the tongue about 24" or so. It has pulled like a dream for the whole time.
Two things...
1. Be damned sure to square the frame up with the tongue when you put it together. Measure then measure again. The distance from axle tip to hitch should be the same on both sides.
2. Do yourself a favor and order a spare set of bearings from HF. These things are made overseas and don't utilize a standard 1" axle. I've yet been able to find bearings for them except through HF. I've even thought bout buying a standard set of axle stubs n welding them in to remedy this.

I'm currently doing a rebuld on it, so no pics atm.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Good info Frye. Please keep us posted on the rebuild and what, if anything, you decide to do with the axle stubs. I'm considering the HF trailer myself.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Grind
Road Master

Yeah, from what I've read about the HF trailer, the bearings are questionable. I cleaned them and repacked them when I put it together.

Apparently, HF no longer sells this trailer. I can't find on their website and any links that people have posted for it say, "this item number doesn't exist" or some such.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:38 AM
FBFletch
Road Master

Yeah, from what I've read about the HF trailer, the bearings are questionable. I cleaned them and repacked them when I put it together.

Apparently, HF no longer sells this trailer. I can't find on their website and any links that people have posted for it say, "this item number doesn't exist" or some such.
They may not be selling the trailer you bought anymore. If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the trailer that the guy at met at Sturgis bought:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...res-42708.html

I could be wrong but, I think that's the one I was looking at. Is it similar to the one you bought?

Quick Reply: Just got back from my first pulling a trailer