HD Daymaker for the Street 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 06:43 PM
Clavinavi
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default HD Daymaker for the Street 500

Hey Street Fans,

I have a question I hope someone out there can help me with. Today I installed the HD Daymaker Headlight on my 500. The parking bulb socket is not compatible with the Daymaker. The High Beam and Low Beam works fine. But I had to pull out the parking bulb and cover the empty socket with tape. I was told by the parts dept. at my dealer it would be plug and play. I don't think they know much about the 500's. I would really love to have the little parking bulb work. I think there is a little HD shield that will light up in the Daymaker if I can make the two connections compatible. Thanks for your time Street Peeps!

Old 06-30-2017, 09:40 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,617 Likes on 5,177 Posts

By parking bulb do you mean the Position bulb ?
The Harley Daymarker replacement is not just a bulb. It is the whole light and is plug and play.
Part Number 67700145A
The Position bulb is not used with the DayMaker

Last edited by smitty901; 06-30-2017 at 10:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Clavinavi (06-30-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 12:03 AM
Clavinavi
Cruiser

Thank you Smitty901,

I am not sure what the name of the bulb is. On my 500 a little light comes on before the brake and headlight comes on. It is the first position from the handlebar lock. It lights up but the other lights do not. I unplugged the bulb and taped up the socket. There is a female connection on the Daymaker that I did not have anything to plug into it. I think it is the what I am calling the parking light lamp connection. Thank you so much for your reply and I am trying to get a manual so I can be specific about the part names.

Weshicatwelo

Old 07-01-2017, 07:09 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,617 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Clavinavi
Thank you Smitty901,

I am not sure what the name of the bulb is. On my 500 a little light comes on before the brake and headlight comes on. It is the first position from the handlebar lock. It lights up but the other lights do not. I unplugged the bulb and taped up the socket. There is a female connection on the Daymaker that I did not have anything to plug into it. I think it is the what I am calling the parking light lamp connection. Thank you so much for your reply and I am trying to get a manual so I can be specific about the part names.

Weshicatwelo
Some people starting calling it a parking bulb. Service manual list it as a Position bulb. As I said it does not get used with Daymakers.
You are going to like the new light the really do light things up.
tape the unused connector up and be done with it.

Clavinavi (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 05:19 PM
Clavinavi
Cruiser

Thanks again Smitty901,

I did what you said and I pulled the bulb out and taped up the position bulb socket. Light is working great. Do you happen to know what the other lead that I did not plug anything into does? I just want to make sure that everything is working properly. The empty plug in on the Daymaker just confuses me. I really appreciate your time.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:52 AM
AKC
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The extra lead on the Daymakers (or the JW 8690A, for that matter) is for a "Position Light" that is a requirement in some parts of Europe and Asia, and is not required in the USA. Most folks just tape it up and forget about it. That said, there's nothing that says you can't hook it up to run with your DRL (Low Beam) and I've been toying with the idea on doing just that.

I second the "You'll love it" comment...

Clavinavi (07-02-2017)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 PM
firstcruiser
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

Need some help on this topic. I got the LED headlight from Amazon for my 2018 XG 750 Street. While trying to remove the original headlight, I was able to unplug it easily. But what do I do with the other set of wires, which almost seem to be soldered? I am not sure if the OP is talking about the same thing. I am referring to the wires highlighted in the ovals:
Am I really supposed to just snip those wires and tape them??? I feel a little nervous doing that as that seems to be an irreversible change.
Please let me know. Thanks!!

Last edited by firstcruiser; 07-10-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 PM
Clavinavi
Cruiser

That might be the position bulb. I removed the bulb and taped it up. I couldn’t use it with the HD Daymaker.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:40 PM
firstcruiser
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you remove the bulb, how do you disconnect the wires..? Well, I can’t reach the bulb in the first place since it’s behind the dome. I can get to the main bulb by opening the clip.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Clavinavi
Cruiser

Wow man, I don’t know. I did not have to cut any wires to plug in the Daymaker. Maybe Smitty knows. The hardest thing was the retaining clips... what a PITA.

Quick Reply: HD Daymaker for the Street 500