Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Removing Catalytic Converter Honeycomb

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 05:06 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,614 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Originally Posted by modular
If the cat was emptied it would leave a chamber to fill before the exhaust passed through. That is my concern. Messing with the exhaust flow and creating turbulence to reduce the flow.
Over thinking the issue. Look at the Street exhaust. Header-Cat -Exhaust . Even on the M8 Touring bikes it would be easy to remove cat just by pulling exhaust pipes.
Little advice the Bassani pipe for the Street really sucks, loud and just does not sound good. One in the bad idea box down stairs.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:51 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I am already running the awesome S&S Grand National can. One of the first purchases I made. It was then that I saw the cat material and started the wheels turning. The headpipe assy. is only $154 from Boardtracker. I have the parts catalog.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:12 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Have you seen the exhaust on a Street Rod? 2-into1 and that it what I prefer. Plus, the cat is in the header just past where they come together and right before the can.

I chatted with V&H's yesterday and it seems there is a full exhaust in the works for the Street Rod. No timeline for release as of yet.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:12 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

The best performance exhaust for the Street/Street Rod is the one V&H makes for the HD flat track bike. However you can't buy it yet. My understanding is one the race teams can get it.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:54 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

I'm hoping for the style that is on the bike. I do not care for high pipes. Once all the hoopla over the M8 being in so many bikes now dies down companies will hopefully start looking at the Street/Street Rod.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:30 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Without the cat the exhaust will be cooler therefore denser. Being denser it will slow some and have a slightly lower exhaust note.

There will not be any noticeable change in performance. No gain or loss of backpressure.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:47 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

If the cat was emptied it would leave a chamber to fill before the exhaust passed through. That is my concern. Messing with the exhaust flow and creating turbulence to reduce the flow.
You are now delving into the science of aerodynamics and sound waves/exhaust pulses.

To put it very simply, the performance changes would likely be minimal, unless cams/headwork and induction were optimized.

The catcon does offer some noise reduction. As you know, the chemical reaction does produce heat as a byproduct.

Are you familiar with "stepped tube" headers?
The larger diameter slows the flow of gasses a critical distance from the exhaust valve. This "slowing of gasses" helps scavenge the cylinder of spent gasses on the following exhaust stroke. This allows more fuel to enter the cylinder to be burned on the next "power" stroke because the cylinder is virtually "vacuumed" of spent (now inert) gasses.
This effect can certainly have a positive effect on torque if optimized. Not talking 15%-20% increase here. More like 2% or 3%. But, it IS an increase over "non-stepped tube" headers.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:34 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

A stepped header design would be good for maintaining the torque output of the 750. None of the major players offer up a full exhaust as of yet. The cat chamber is back by where the muffler joins in the party. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this then need be but I don't want to loose power just for lower exhaust heat. The area circled in red in the picture below is the area I am concerned with.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:59 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Not sure what you are getting at with that comment. I know where it is and the many ways to remove the honeycomb. I'm more concerned with introducing the open larger diameter chamber to the exhaust flow where the converter would have resided. I don't want to create a bottleneck in the flow. The set up on the Street series is different than the BT's.
Create a bottleneck by removing the bottleneck?
You would be better off spending the thousand if you’re that confused.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:21 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

A stepped header design would be good for maintaining the torque output of the 750. None of the major players offer up a full exhaust as of yet. The cat chamber is back by where the muffler joins in the party. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this then need be but I don't want to loose power just for lower exhaust heat. The area circled in red in the picture below is the area I am concerned with.

You are not going to lose any power by gutting the CAT. It never happened on any Bike I have removed the CAT. Never required any re-tuning or anything else. You will notice less heat from the CAT area, you may notice a little deeper one to the exhaust. Other than that you will never notice any difference.
Even on my touring bikes going to a performance header to remove the CAT No noticeable difference. You would have to put it on a DYNO to find any and even then so little it is meaningless. Wanting to believe the money you spent made a major difference just justifies the cost but it your fooling your self. Spent to many hours messing with it, then doing a dyno run to see the difference.

Last edited by smitty901; 12-30-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Removing Catalytic Converter Honeycomb