Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Removing Catalytic Converter Honeycomb

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 07:26 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts
Question Removing Catalytic Converter Honeycomb

Has anyone removed the honycomb from the converter? I am not concerned with any performance gains I am more interested in reducing the heat right by my leg at stops. I am also concerned with introducing a large hollow area in the exhaust flow actually hindering performance. No one sans a company called Stealth (over $1K for a black system-NOPE!) makes a full exhaust system for the Street series of bikes.

Any feedback here?

Old 12-25-2017, 07:47 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Google is your friend.
Don't be afraid of it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cata...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 12-25-2017, 07:55 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Not sure what you are getting at with that comment. I know where it is and the many ways to remove the honeycomb. I'm more concerned with introducing the open larger diameter chamber to the exhaust flow where the converter would have resided. I don't want to create a bottleneck in the flow. The set up on the Street series is different than the BT's.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:19 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Originally Posted by modular
Has anyone removed the honycomb from the converter? I am not concerned with any performance gains I am more interested in reducing the heat right by my leg at stops. I am also concerned with introducing a large hollow area in the exhaust flow actually hindering performance. No one sans a company called Stealth (over $1K for a black system-NOPE!) makes a full exhaust system for the Street series of bikes.

Any feedback here?
Not sure what you are getting at with that comment. I know where it is and the many ways to remove the honeycomb. I'm more concerned with introducing the open larger diameter chamber to the exhaust flow where the converter would have resided. I don't want to create a bottleneck in the flow. The set up on the Street series is different than the BT's.
Hey, you asked for feedback.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:23 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

I'll quote myself for clarification.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:44 AM
micalaut
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Removing honeycomb

Did mine, big heat reduction on the right leg. Id did take a lot of time to get it all removed. I cut a section out like one of the pictures and then mig welded cut out back in. No real performance gains or sound difference but losing the heat was worth the time and effort.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:42 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,627 Likes on 5,180 Posts

On the Street is is a lot easier than what is shown in other post. When you remove the muffler the CAT is easy to get to you can get it out without even removing the header.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:50 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by micalaut
Did mine, big heat reduction on the right leg. Id did take a lot of time to get it all removed. I cut a section out like one of the pictures and then mig welded cut out back in. No real performance gains or sound difference but losing the heat was worth the time and effort.
So no discernible difference in the bikes performance? No loss in torque you could feel?

I'm thinking of buying a second set of head pipes, cutting out the cat section, find a piece of stainless steel pipe that fits and having a guy at work weld it all up.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:32 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,627 Likes on 5,180 Posts

So no discernible difference in the bikes performance? No loss in torque you could feel?

I'm thinking of buying a second set of head pipes, cutting out the cat section, find a piece of stainless steel pipe that fits and having a guy at work weld it all up.
On a street why would you. The CAT is not like it is in the picture. You can pull the exhaust pipe and get right to the CAT. Drill it a scrape it out.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:37 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

If the cat was emptied it would leave a chamber to fill before the exhaust passed through. That is my concern. Messing with the exhaust flow and creating turbulence to reduce the flow.

Quick Reply: Removing Catalytic Converter Honeycomb