AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Won't effect my Ultra

Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,620 Likes on 5,178 Posts

So a defect has shown up and HD did the right thing and issued recall. That is how it works. Unlike Polaris indain that has to be forced to with the catch fire.

The following users liked this post:
Pugslycat01 (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

The recall is something to get taken care of, especially if you normally ride in "corrosive environments" which most likely would be sea side locations. It's probably not that big a deal, though. Most of us will just check our brakes to make sure they aren't dragging and keep riding until the parts come in.

The biggest impact is going to be that the dealers can't sell any Street family bikes until the replacement calipers show up. This hitting just in time for spring sales has to be a punch in the gut.

I have to wonder if they can conduct Rider Academy lessons on bikes that haven't been fixed. Does anybody have insight into that? My nephew and his girlfriend are trying to get their endorsements and that could mean they need to look elsewhere.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:24 AM
LexM
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugslycat01
I have to wonder if they can conduct Rider Academy lessons on bikes that haven't been fixed. Does anybody have insight into that? My nephew and his girlfriend are trying to get their endorsements and that could mean they need to look elsewhere.
I think you've just explained why the very first available recall repair parts are going on Riding Academy Street 500s.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer

I hadn't heard that repair kits were being allocated that way, but wouldn't be at all surprised.

My local chapter just got in the bikes and had their rider coaches trained to start Rider Academy right after I bought my bike. Most dealerships have a section of parking lot that they rope off on class days, but this bunch has a dedicated slab constructed. It is used for Rider Academy and the occasional person that wants a parking lot ride on a bike but can't or won't go on the road. Then a tornado took out their storage building and a tent went up on their slab. A permanent building has been built elsewhere so after a couple years of delay they are chomping at the bit to start teaching again.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:12 PM
LexM
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I hadn't heard that repair kits were being allocated that way, but wouldn't be at all surprised.
Me either. My point was just that Rider Academy bikes are of such immense importance to H-D's we-build-riders strategy that it'd be foolish _not_ to ensure that those bikes get their brakes fixed first.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:46 PM
Roorat60
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Not a big deal unless exposed to corrosive environments

I received the notice for my 2017 Street xg750, but I'm not overly concerned about the impact on my bike. First of all, I do not expose my bike to corrosive environments (i.e. salty sea air, road salts, rain, heavy fog, etc.) I only ride when it is sunny and warm and when I'm not riding, my bike is in the garage. I also do a pre-ride check of everything before going anywhere. If, by chance, I notice drag, I won't ride until the part comes in and the bike is fixed. I don't see the big deal.

Also, as far as the Riders Academy, it would depend on the location of the dealer and if the bikes are/were exposed to corrosive environments. I would expect the dealers to house the bikes in a garage when not in use, too.

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (03-16-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 AM
Harleynewb
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is it the front brake caliper or rear brake caliper? I received my recall notice a couple of weeks ago and there was no mention as to if it was both brake calipers or just one. Either way it doesn't really matter,I'm gonna take the bike in when the part or parts become available.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Pugslycat01
Tourer

The articles that I've seen say that it's both front and rear calipers.

I'm trying to get another 3K miles on the bike and do this in conjunction with an early 15K maintenance.

Quick Reply: Huge Street recall issues