Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

2017 Street 500 - Key fobs no longer working

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 03:15 AM
bronxnz
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 Street 500 - Key fobs no longer working

Has anyone struck this before? I've Googled endlessly and cannot find any useful information other than the batteries, which have been replaced.

Everything used to work fine when I bought the bike a few months ago second-hand. I tripped and replaced a main fuse and it seems as though since then I've had endless issues with the key fobs not being recognised intermittently, but now they are never recognised and the pin must be entered manually.

I've replaced the fob batteries.

I've checked the antenna and it appears to be in absolutely fine condition sitting where it should. I did take a test light to it and checked during ACC and IGNITION and it doesn't appear to ever get power to it but unsure if that's normal or not.

Can anyone help? As we're in the COVID-19 isolation HD in New Zealand is closed but I'm wanting to fix this myself if possible at home.

Cheers

Old 04-07-2020, 01:58 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,534 Posts

If you replaced the fob batteries while the fobs were near the bike, this thread may help (see posts 7&9).
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...83-2008-a.html

Old 04-07-2020, 05:19 PM
bronxnz
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you were on to a winner there but unfortunately it made it more confusing

I took both fobs 15+ meters away from the bike and changed the batteries, again.

Took one fob to the bike and tried to fire it up (seat removed), disarmed fine. Tried it again, worked, Tried it again, failed.

Swapped to the other fob, it failed. Tried again, it worked, Again, failed, and continued to fail.

I'd try with one fob around the keyring and one sat right on the antenna and it'd work and sometimes not. Now it seems as though it isn't going to work at all as it fails every time.

Unsure what the heck is going on now.. hard to troubleshoot something which doesn't even know itself what it's doing!

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help

Old 10-26-2021, 04:25 AM
Charlie@NZ
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronxnz
Has anyone struck this before? I've Googled endlessly and cannot find any useful information other than the batteries, which have been replaced.

Everything used to work fine when I bought the bike a few months ago second-hand. I tripped and replaced a main fuse and it seems as though since then I've had endless issues with the key fobs not being recognised intermittently, but now they are never recognised and the pin must be entered manually.

I've replaced the fob batteries.

I've checked the antenna and it appears to be in absolutely fine condition sitting where it should. I did take a test light to it and checked during ACC and IGNITION and it doesn't appear to ever get power to it but unsure if that's normal or not.

Can anyone help? As we're in the COVID-19 isolation HD in New Zealand is closed but I'm wanting to fix this myself if possible at home.

Cheers
Hey bro. I have the exact situation. Live in Auckland. 2nd hand 2017 street. Did you end up with a solution.?