Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

open or closed loop for 2015 street bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Twisted Cherry RGU
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default open or closed loop for 2015 street bob

looking to get a power vision and a autotune for my 2015 street bob due to putting on short shots ( not sure if i need to go to a larger breather also ) and wanting to have the bike run a little smoother, a friend asked if the bike runs a open or closed loop and if they do what rpms do they go at

Old 05-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers bob 2015
looking to get a power vision and a autotune for my 2015 street bob due to putting on short shots ( not sure if i need to go to a larger breather also ) and wanting to have the bike run a little smoother, a friend asked if the bike runs a open or closed loop and if they do what rpms do they go at
Closed loop is simply the switching point at which the system begins using certain sensors and tables. It will be up to the person tuning to determine which rpm/kPa cells and table to switch on (closed loop).

A bike can be tuned to run smoothly in either open or closed loop. It can also be made to run like crap in either as well.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Twisted Cherry RGU
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default open closed loop

Thank you for the info

Old 05-25-2015, 02:10 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers bob 2015
Thank you for the info
The most important part is tuning the VE's to the bike with the new pipe and intake. the AFR table (your source of open or closed loop air-fuel ratio values) is worthless unless the VE's are reasonably accurate for the motor and modifications.

The PV2 will allow you to tune VE's, and buying from FuelMoto they can give you a decent tune file for your bike. the tune file will run closed loop for idle and cruise areas, and open loop for heavier throttle and decel events. Running the PV2's auto tune basic won't do anything for you on the performance end of things, you'd need the Auto tune pro kit for that or actual dyno tuning.

I just went through all of this myself and took the added time to learn how the delphi system works, and also received excellent guidance from one of the knowledgeable members here. After several tune revisions I am now running a fully open loop tune file, but I could only do this after my VE's were dialed in and had a better understanding of how the fuel tables work. But as already mentioned, open loop vs closed loop by itself is meaningless- it all comes down to the tune for the bike as a whole.

Good luck and hope this helps somewhat..