Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

looking to purchase a tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Flyndutchman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking to purchase a tuner

I have a 2010 ultra limited. It has a stage 1 air cleaner and Rinehart s. I want to be able to use a tunnel so when or as i upgrade I will be able to use throughout tune as needed. I am planning on doing cams etc. Which tunnel would best fit. I like the idea of auto tune also. One other thing is it has been decated. Any help would be great new to the tunnel area.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:06 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Tunnels are fun to travel through on occasions. If I were you, you should check out the FP3 from Fuelpack for what you're wanting to do.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 PM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

just picked up a PC-V from fuelmoto. I've used a PC-3 previously on my old bike and liked it.

Also my dyno-tuner guy is really familiar with them too and only charges $199 for separate cylinder dyno tune.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Flyndutchman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does fp3 tune each cylinder individually? I hear a lot of good about fp3 have some friends that have the fp3 and they like it. Is fp3 good all the way to stage 4? I have a friend way up north and he is all sold on power comander V. I don't think the cp5 does auto tune.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:54 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

If I were in the market for a new Fuel Management device my picks would be,
#1. PowerVision
#2. TTS
#3. FP3
All are very capable devices that are fairly user friendly.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
#1. PowerVision
#2. TTS
#3. FP3
Ditto^^.

I was very happy with my SE Pro Super Tuner, (two different bikes), but obviously they're no longer available.

My first choice now would be the PowerVision, because it's the easiest to use among the "top level" flash tuners. TTS might be a bit more capable for the more extreme builds, but not quite as beginner friendly.

Really, can't go wrong with either one.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:30 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

A big decision that requires a lot of answers on your part.

This is asked over and over, and all answers depend on the bike, the parts, and individual.

If you are going to have someone dyno tune it for you, ask them what they are most comfortable with.

If you plan on doing it all yourself, other decisions:
If you are going to stick with parts that a tune is already supplied for, go with the tuner that has your parts.

If you are going to choose your own parts, and / or do all the tuning yourself, that is a different story entirely.

From what I understand, with the FP3, since you do not have a CAN-BUS bike, you will have to rely on the manufacture of the unit to adjust for cam settings. On newer, CAN-BUS bikes, you can use the FP3 to adjust for cams yourself.

The Power Vision is the same as the FP3 in that if you do a cam swap you will need someone else to adjust the map for the cams you have, regardless if it is a CAN-BUS bike or not. DynoJet has refused to allow purchasers to adjust certain tables they have “hidden” for reasons not germane to this discussion, although they advertise purchasers have access to some of those tables. The interface is nice, and easy to use. The DynoJet company however, IMHO, is just interested in getting your dollar. ( Maybe that is why they have pushed several updates to their PV-CX, but have ignored updates to the Harley PV since the CX’s introduction. They have a new market to pillage ???? )

The TTS allows you to adjust for almost all (as far as I know) settings needed to tune your bike, even cam settings. It has a cam estimator, and you can fine tune the settings. It will even help tune your CDE ( oops, did I say that, I meant EGR, that is what TTS calls it, if it is even the same thing.)
Since your’s is a 2010 the maps available to start with should be MAP based VE and lambda based AFR. Not so for my ‘09, unfortunately. Apparently some ‘09 touring bikes came with the same map use in ‘08, but mine did not. It came with lambda based AFR which I want(ed) to stay with, which is why I am reluctant to switch to a TTS. All the currently available maps for my '09 are TPS stoich AFR and TP VE.

One thing to think about: Tuning your EFI bike requires a LOT of knowledge and time, especially if you don’t have access to a dyno. Some old farts like me not only like, but need to do it ourselves, for whatever reason. As far as I know, only TTS will allow you to do it that way.

The following users liked this post:
Flyndutchman (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

What ever you choose also choose wisely who you purchase from. Some vendors have much better support than others.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:40 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
#1. PowerVision
#2. TTS
#3. FP3
Anything other than a canned map that might be good enough for Stage 1, my personal experience is that the FP3 has significant limitations so I would drop it off the list until they start logging, showing spark knock, and allow you to manage your maps offline of being plugged into the bike and powered on to do anything.

As Gozzie point out, support is crucial. And, if you can't get it tuned in, think about where you might take it to get it done properly ...especially a stage 4!! Do you know any tuner shops that can or are prepared to use the FP3?

I'm not dissing the FP3, great for those that need simple and a canned map, but these are not new ...they have been around for 3 years now!! If V&H want to be up with the fully fledged flash tuners then they should have caught up already. These things are just selling by word of mouth on Stage 1 upgrades ...sorry! (just to be clear ...I have one)

Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 AM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Anything other than a canned map that might be good enough for Stage 1, my personal experience is that the FP3 has significant limitations so I would drop it off the list until they start logging, showing spark knock, and allow you to manage your maps offline of being plugged into the bike and powered on to do anything.

As Gozzie point out, support is crucial. And, if you can't get it tuned in, think about where you might take it to get it done properly ...especially a stage 4!! Do you know any tuner shops that can or are prepared to use the FP3?

I'm not dissing the FP3, great for those that need simple and a canned map, but these are not new ...they have been around for 3 years now!! If V&H want to be up with the fully fledged flash tuners then they should have caught up already. These things are just selling by word of mouth on Stage 1 upgrades ...sorry! (just to be clear ...I have one)
There are many upgrades coming out in the very near future... with even bigger upgrades in the next year. It is far from stagnant. Just calculated releases and updates based on feedback from users and open forums such as HD Forums. Keep an eye out for updates to the app and special releases on our website. Your requests do not go unnoticed.

Quick Reply: looking to purchase a tuner