Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Raw fuel out of the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Madmike1990
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raw fuel out of the exhaust

Hi everyone I'm new here my names mike, so I have a 2016 softail deluxe and I just put samson 36 inch fishtails on it I tuned it per V&H recommendation and it ran good for the first day. The next day I fired it up and smelled fuel and low and behold I was spraying raw fuel out of both pipes!! ALOT OF IT!!! Has anyone had this issue?

Old 10-18-2017, 01:50 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Fuel or spark right(or both NOoooo!),proly spark/lectrics ,any idiot lights come up ,can you hear the fuel pump,relays?
Are the 02 sensors good ?Any fault numbers come up ?

Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 AM
Madmike1990
5th Gear

Originally Posted by badcooky
Fuel or spark right(or both NOoooo!),proly spark/lectrics ,any idiot lights come up ,can you hear the fuel pump,relays?
Are the 02 sensors good ?Any fault numbers come up ?
thats the strange thing no fault messages, and V&H checked the Fuelpak data and said everything looks correct. They even had me run a super lean map and still pissing raw fuel out

Old 10-18-2017, 07:33 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Have you checked for exhaust leaks? Are the O2 sensors tightened?

Loose/leaking exhaust: This can cause a poor ground connection for the sensor or allow fresh air into the exhaust system. If fresh air enters exhaust system, the O2 sensor will read a lean condition, causing the system to go rich.

Inspect the fuel injector and O2 sensor connectors for backed out terminals,
improper mating, inoperative locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal-to-wire connection and damaged harnesses.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:35 AM
Madmike1990
5th Gear

Originally Posted by shanneba
Have you checked for exhaust leaks? Are the O2 sensors tightened?

Loose/leaking exhaust: This can cause a poor ground connection for the sensor or allow fresh air into the exhaust system. If fresh air enters exhaust system, the O2 sensor will read a lean condition, causing the system to go rich.

Inspect the fuel injector and O2 sensor connectors for backed out terminals,
improper mating, inoperative locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal-to-wire connection and damaged harnesses.
no leaks and everything is torqued to spec that's why im
so stumped

Old 10-18-2017, 08:12 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Go back to before ,bit by bit bring it back to after ?

Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

are you sure it is fuel or water???
if an O2 went south, there would be codes. now an injector that leaks could be a source as well as fuel pressure but then again for raw fuel to pass, code should be thrown unless this is only a startup pre-warm issue when the ecu ignores sensor inputs and follows base map.

Last edited by bustert; 10-18-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Madmike1990
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bustert
are you sure it is fuel or water???
if an O2 went south, there would be codes. now an injector that leaks could be a source as well as fuel pressure but hen again for raw fuel to pass, code should be thrown unless this is only a startup pre-warm issue when the ecu ignors sensor inputs and follows base map.
Im 100% its fuel I got it on my hands and smelled it

Old 10-18-2017, 10:32 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

I think bustert is correct. Maybe with drag pipes, but with fishtails it would be really hard to get raw fuel pouring out. Probably a bit of water (condensation) mixed with the fact that it is running a bit rich, making it smell like raw fuel.

It ran good the first day, but this happened ion the 2nd day; me thinks condensation. A test would be to put a small can under the pipe, collect some drips and see if you light it on fire. Yes, do this away from the bike, have extinguisher handy, etc...

Old 10-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Madmike1990
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bad tappets
I think bustert is correct. Maybe with drag pipes, but with fishtails it would be really hard to get raw fuel pouring out. Probably a bit of water (condensation) mixed with the fact that it is running a bit rich, making it smell like raw fuel.

It ran good the first day, but this happened ion the 2nd day; me thinks condensation. A test would be to put a small can under the pipe, collect some drips and see if you light it on fire. Yes, do this away from the bike, have extinguisher handy, etc...
I will give that a try today and see

Quick Reply: Raw fuel out of the exhaust