Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

MM to Carb Conversion - 2001 RK with factory Security- Please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Tblasier
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MM to Carb Conversion - 2001 RK with factory Security- Please HELP

Just want to say that I am very grateful for any ones help with this and I do understand that there are multiple threads about this but I can not seem to get it all figured out.....

Ok, so as a winter project I am converting a 2001 RK that has the factory security system from MM EFI to carb. So far I have purchased the S&S carb kit, Daytona Twin Tec TC88 module, all of the Pingle parts to convert the fuel tank to carb and all of the needed connector parts and pins to make up the black and grey connectors that plug into the module.

What I have done so far: I have one-by-one removed and repined (made sure I made quality crimps) the needed wires from the ECM plug and plugged them in the black and grey plugs. I have a factory manual for this bike to verify the colors and locations. Once I have everything plugged in i checked for spark and came up with nothing.....

Once i turned the key on the turn signals flash a few times. I have a feeling that has something to do with the security system. Is there a way to disable that? Im wondering if that is what i am struggling with - no spark issue.....

One thing that I am questioning is that the DTT instructions talk about the factory schematic shows incorrect wiring for the MAP sensor. Can someone confirm this?

Also I am wondering if someone is willing who have done this conversion to take pictures of their black and grey plugs to make sure that I have the correct colors in all of the locations.

I feel like i am decent in the wrenching department and right now i feel defeated.....

Please someone shine some light on this particular situation. Thank you a ton!!

Old 02-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,523 Likes on 1,708 Posts

Trying to follow what you are explaining and it has been like 10 yrs. since I did mine. As I recall when I removed the MM ECM all the security features went away. I think. I just bought the carb style ignition harness and swapped it all out so I didn't do any re-pinning.

Have you looked at the Namz harness NHD-32435-01? You can buy it from Amazon for $111. Might make your life easier.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 889 Likes on 623 Posts

Hey Travis, if it's a TSSM, does Twin Tec have a procedure for Password Learn? If it were an alarm situation, I believe the lights would continue to blink. Have you learned the fobs to the TSSM and disarmed it? My gut tells me you'll lose the security feature with an aftermarket module - you could call Alan at DTT though. Also, there are aftermarket harness for this conversion.

When the flashers blink at key on and turn off, that's a code in the Turn Signal portion of the module.

Also - here is the explanation and pic from TT site regarding the MAP. I just verified my MAP sensor matches the pic below (I could only see the black and white wire from a quick glance).

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-04-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:27 PM
Tblasier
6th Gear

Tired, thank you for making me aware of the harness that Namz offers. I will definitely look into that part.

Ed, the turn signals only flash during the first few seconds of key on. I also appreciate you verifying the wiring on your bike. I will make sure that I have it correct.

I think/hope that after I install the Namz harness it will correct what ever issue that I have going on.

I will keep you guys posted on the results after we install the ignition harness.

thank you guys!

Old 02-07-2018, 05:24 AM
Tblasier
6th Gear

Well, with the combination of the Namz harness and a new MAP sensor we finally have spark!!!

Thanks again Tired and Ed for helping out!!!

The following users liked this post:
Tired (02-07-2018)