Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCV questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:33 PM
DAMAK.0134
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV questions

I値l try to make this short. I just put a set of SE 255 in my 2013 SG. I also bought a used PCV because it has the ability to adjust timing if I wanted to adjust or pay for a dyno if I wanted.

I have a canned tune that fits my mods real close but has very little timing added to the 90-100% Throttle position. I also imported several other maps to see if I could find a pattern to timing vs fuel delivery. No luch. The numbers almost seem random.

Some of the fuel charts have a -2 surrounded by high +20 numbers in the middle. There seems to be no pattern or reason so I知 not sure if I should be messing with the timing or fuel if it is so random.

I guess I知 seeking advice on this. I would like to get some better bottom end power.

Thanks.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:18 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

The maps have greater variations in fuel because as components change air flow changes and that requires fuel changes. Aftermarket canned maps mostly address fuel and run mostly off the presently flashed timing map in the bike.

If you want to play with timing, you should also be monitoring for knock. Ideally you want to be on a dyno to do this because you will only be skewing it a few degrees and looking for changes.

Think of it like this - Dynojet takes engine "X" and changes air cleaner and pipes. The airflow through the engine changed a lot in relation to it's timing needs.

The only way you will know if your canned map is based off a bike that had 255 cams and timing in a factory flash and they adjusted fuel vs an OE bike that they changed cams and wrote a map where the programming in the ECM wasn't for 255's is to ask Dynojet.

Typically, adding 2 degrees to an OE map/combination is safe because they are a little conservative and need to run anywhere when released from the factory. When teaching the SEPST school, I always had the guys add a couple of degrees, see the change and either continue to advance, stay or retard from there.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-17-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:10 PM
DAMAK.0134
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The canned map is for SE 255, air cleaner and slip ons. Should be close so what I may do is go ahead and advance timing all around my power band and where the fuel is increased in the fuel map. I still don't understand why there would be a -2 in the middle of all the +20 fuel increase.