Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tuning issues - pipe & cams combo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:25 PM
N.B
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning issues - pipe & cams combo?

hi everyone,

i have a 2016 fxdb with a TBR comp s exhaust and andrews 57h cams. since installing the cams the bike has some ride-ability issues between idle and 2500rpm.

this bike is a daily for me and in peak hour traffic i often have to crawl along at 40km/h (25mph) in 2nd gear. prior to cams this was no issue at all, but now the bike starts to convulse and surge in that rev range. the tuner knows the issue is there and he believes it's exhaust related. TBR suggested its a bad marry of parts. the bike great everywhere except this rpm range.

the bike has been dyno tuned using powervision, and almost every part/sensor/adjuster has been checked and cleaned in the hopes of resolving this.

i know that both the 57h's and the TBR exhaust are very popular choices, but is there anyone using both and how does the bike ride/respond etc.?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. With such a wide variety of parts available to us Harley owners it is all too easy to get a "bad marry of parts". When making mods it is wise to consult an experienced tuning shop first, to get a proven combination of components. Quite frankly the muffler of the Comp S looks too short to my eye. What does your tuner suggest as a way ahead?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,450 Likes on 1,599 Posts

That RPM/load area may be susceptible to reversion- put it back on the dyno, set RPM/MPH to duplicate the conditions, and then apply load until it starts giving you the same grief on the dyno you were having on the street. Once the exact spot is found, go into the map @ that spot, and look at timing and VE F&R to see if anything stands out. If so, adjust accordingly. If not, try reducing timing at that one spot, or maybe going open loop in that one area, or both, until it smooths out. It's gonna take some time/evaluation , but sometimes combos need more attention to make acceptable. Reversion is a pain, because the 02 sensors don't know if the measured residue 02 ( reported AFR) in the pipe is going out or coming in (( and autotune can't fix it)).
HTH

The following users liked this post:
FLTRI17 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 11:48 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
That RPM/load area may be susceptible to reversion- put it back on the dyno, set RPM/MPH to duplicate the conditions, and then apply load until it starts giving you the same grief on the dyno you were having on the street. Once the exact spot is found, go into the map @ that spot, and look at timing and VE F&R to see if anything stands out. If so, adjust accordingly. If not, try reducing timing at that one spot, or maybe going open loop in that one area, or both, until it smooths out. It's gonna take some time/evaluation , but sometimes combos need more attention to make acceptable. Reversion is a pain, because the 02 sensors don't know if the measured residue 02 ( reported AFR) in the pipe is going out or coming in (( and autotune can't fix it)).
HTH
Well stated Robin.
This is but just one issue with “autotune” systems. The more mods done to the engine the less reliable autotune systems work.
I see at least 1 PV autotune bike that runs like crap until tuned and then with closed loop used where it works and avoided where it doesn’t.
Knowledge and experience = Smooth, responsive Power!
Bob

The following users liked this post:
rigidthumper (02-25-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:33 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

Has your tuner checked or graphed the maps sensor data? You might want to take a look at the data there. The winpv software allows you to make corrections if your map signal is off of what it shoud be,,,MAP normalization i think they call it.
M

Old 03-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Same problem I had. I tried different IVO/IVC settings to the canned map from Dynojet, and changed the CDE made it much better (for me anyway) ...I would have hoped your dyno tuner might have tried that.

Is your tuner helping you get to the bottom of it

Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Sounds like you’ve been charged for a dyno tune but didn’t get what you paid for?
A proper dyno tune will present a smooth and responsive bike without rideability issues.
Quite to the contrary, rideability will be superior with a proper tune, not the other way ‘round.
Bob